Sage has been celebrating the Wheel of the Year for 25+ years, and being a holiday junkie, she just can't get enough of the sabbats!
Witchcraft for Beginners: Magical Correspondences
Certain holidays are simply magical—and Valentine’s Day is one of them. For centuries, countless people have been pouring energy into this holiday, filling it with the energy of thoughts like love, romance, and beauty. After a while, that becomes some powerful magic to tap into.
When crafting spells and rituals, choosing the right components can really help bring conducive energy to your working, and can act as a ‘mind trigger’ that pushes all the right buttons in your brain. While no list should be thought of as comprehensive or set in stone, it can be good to have a general idea, especially when you’re new to Witchcraft.
Here’s a list of magical correspondences for Valentine’s Day, should you choose to do something special.
Love Magic Correspondences
Colors have a profound impact on the psyche. In magic, they can really help with focus and getting into the ideal state of mind. There's no 'right' or 'wrong' color to use—the important thing is to use the color that embodies your magical goal. Still, certain colors are embedded in the consciousness and have a universal meaning.
Choose one or more of these colors for your altar cloth, candle, fabrics, pouches, jars, inks, or any items you might be using for a ritual.
- Blue: The color most closely associated with the Element of Water, the sacred Element that rules over emotions. Blue is an excellent color when seeking to bring peace and harmony into a relationship, or when looking to foster the emotional connection.
- Green: This color is associated with the heart chakra, which is basically the body's processing center for things like love and compassion. Great for when dealing with serious relationships, emotional intimacy, platonic love, or healing relationship problems.
- Pink: Pink is a diluted color, thus dealing with the more subtle, passive expressions of love. It's the color best associated with innocent love: love found in friendship or family (platonic love), or innocent romance.
- Red: The color associated with true passion. It's the color of the root chakra, which is located at your genitals. This is the body's processing center for sexuality and the sexual/carnal appetite. Use it for hot, sizzling, passionate love.
- White: Not really a color, but white generally deals with true love in its purest forms. In many cultures, it's the color associated with weddings. White, since it absorbs all colors, is the most suitable substitute for any color.
Crystals, Gems, & Metals
- All-Purpose Love: Agate, alexandrite, amethyst, beryl, emerald, garnet, jade, lapis lazuli, malachite, pearl, rose quartz, sapphire, sugilite, topaz, tourmaline, zircon
- Attracting Love: Amber, calcite, loadstone, rose quartz, rhodochrosite, tourmaline
- Healing Love/from Love: Amber, calcite, carnelian, copper, emerald, lapis lazuli, malachite, rhodocrosite, sunstone, turquoise
- Romance: Amethyst, aventurine, moonstone, rose quartz, turquoise,
- Strengthening/Reinforcing Love: Garnet, malachite, mother-of-pearl,
- Sexual Energy: Aventurine, calcite, rhodochrosite (also promotes pregnancy, so be careful!), ruby sunstone, zircon.
Deities Associated With Love or Sex
While I don't recommend picking Gods and Goddesses off a list the way you would order from a Chinese take-out menu, these deities listed below are generally associated with some aspect of love, sex, relationships, marriage or romance. If you work with any of these Gods or Goddesses, or if they are part of the pantheon you worship, you might consider seeking their aid to your workings.
If you are unfamiliar with a deity or their culture, I highly recommend doing research and connecting to that deity to form a relationship before beginning to ask them for help.
Deities Associated With Love or Sex
Goddess of summer, wealth, sovereignty, love and fertility.
Goddess of love, beauty, pleasure, and procreation.
Goddess of fertility, sexuality, and war.
Goddess of love, maidenly beauty, and water sources
Loa of the dead and sex.
Baron La Croix
Loa of the dead and sexuality
Goddess of protection, pleasure, the sun, moon and fertility.
Goddess of the bedchamber, and anything that might go on inside of it.
God of Love
Goddess of love, marriage, sexuality and fertility.
Collection of Winged Greek Gods
The Erotes were all responsible for different aspects of love. The most well known would be Eros, God of lust, beauty, love and intercourse. Anteros is the God of requited love. Himeros is the God of uncontrollable desire. Pothos is the God of longing or yearning.
Goddess of love, sexuality, beauty, fertility, gold, seiðr, war, and death.
sacral kingship, virility, prosperity, phallus & sexuality.
Goddess of joy, feminine love, and motherhood.
Goddess of love, fertility, and warfare.
God of human love or desire.
Spirit of Fertility
Goddess of harmony, merriment, youth, love and beauty.
Orisha of love, intimacy, beauty, wealth and diplomacy.
goddess of love, fertility and devotion.
God/Saint of health and longevity, most notably sex/fertility treatments.
Goddess of love.
Goddess of love, carnal desire, lust, passion and sexual pleasure.
God of love and marriage.
Goddess of persuasion, particularly in romance, seduction and love.
Goddess of purification, steam bath, midwives, filth, and a patroness of adulterers.
Tu Er Shen
God who manages the love and sex between homosexual men.
Goddess of love, fertility and vitality.
Goddess of love, beauty, sex, fertility, prosperity and desire.
Goddess of fertility, beauty, and female sexual power, serving as a protector of young mothers and a patroness of pregnancy, childbirth, and the crafts practiced by women such as weaving and embroidery.
od of art, games, beauty, dance, flowers, and song.
God of od of marriage and love.
Goddess of life and fertility.
The power of herbs has always been among one of my favorite things to draw on for magical workings. I keep a small but very serviceable herb garden in containers on my screen porch, and I use herbs for infusions, oils, brews and potions, incense, pouches, powders, crafts, and even magical cooking. If you are into any form of kitchen witchery, herbs are a must!
This is a very general listing all manner of flora related to love. I recommend if anything catches your fancy, do your research.
Herbal Correspondences to Love and Sex
Read More From Exemplore
Invoke the Spirits of the Plants!
My Favorite Incense Recipes for Valentine's Day
- 2 parts lavender
- 1 part sandalwood
- 1/2 part lemon rind
- 1 part copal
- 1 part rose petals
- 1 part jasmine
- 1/2 part basil
- 1/2 part sage
- 1 part dragon's blood
- 1 part cinnamon
- 1 part powdered maple wood
- few drops of apple blossom oil
The recipes above are all my own recipes that I've designed over the years. For more information on how to make raw incense—the kind I prefer to work with—please see my article: Wicca For Beginners: How to Make Incense. It gives you an overview of making and using raw incense: ingredients, how to measure, grind, and finally how to burn them safely and effectively.
An Indispensable Resource
Food & Drink
- Aphrodisiacs: Arugula, artichokes, avocados, bananas, cherries, chili peppers, chocolate, figs, green M&M's, honey, olive oil, oysters, pine nuts, pomegranate, pumpkin seeds, strawberries, watermelon.
- Beverages: Red or pink wines, honey mead, hot chocolate (with whipped cream!), pomegranate juice, chamomile and rose tea.
- Cooking with Herbs and Spices: Basil, cinnamon, garlic, lemon, nutmeg, tomato.
- Ideal Recipes: Chocolate-covered strawberries, cherry tart or pies, oyster dishes, pasta with pesto sauce, salads (particularly tomatoes) drizzled with olive oil dressings.
And don't forget the big, heart-shaped box of chocolate candies!
Creatures Associated With Matters of Love
Tell Us About You?
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
sweetstickyrainbo on February 13, 2015:
How did that old song go: How can you lose with that stuff you use.
With this many love Gods all in one place, we can't miss!
Mackenzie Sage Wright (author) on February 13, 2015:
Good way of putting it, sweetsticky, lol. Sometimes I think our biggest problem is trying too hard instead of just letting nature take its course. Thanks for commenting!
Mackenzie Sage Wright (author) on February 13, 2015:
Thanks QueenMother, I appreciate your comment.
Ask Queenmother from Atlanta, GA on February 12, 2015:
Great informative article with huge amounts of resources available on Valentine's day and how to focus the energy of natural elements to make an umforgetable Valentine's day love. Powerful corresponding charts to compare. Good job Sage!