Wicca for Beginners: Visualizations for Grounding and Centering Meditations
Wicca: Grounding and Centering Visualizations
Grounding is getting in touch with the earth and your surroundings; centering is getting in better touch with yourself. I have written more extensively about grounding and centering, and simple ways to go about them, in this article. If you're familiar with the concepts, you might now be looking for great exercises to help you do them more effectively.
Meditative visualizations are an excellent way for strong grounding and centering, when you really need to powerfully reinforce that connection to the Earth, or to your inner self. You can do these exercises before, during or after rituals, for magic and for spellwork. If you're involved in a group, doing these exercises together can not only help everyone prepare for the spiritual events ahead, but can get 'on the same level', spiritually.
Of course, there are times when you find yourself totally out of synch; perhaps you've experienced a trauma, been sick, or you've never grounded and centered before at all. These visualizations will really help.
Do What Works!
Remember, there is no 'one way' to ground or center-- it's important to do what works for you. But these are common themes used for grounding and centering visualizations that many people relate to quite well.
- Stand for a moment with your feet spread about shoulder-length and planted firmly on the ground. Put your arms up high and reach your hands out toward the sky or ceiling.
- Visualize tendrils of energy shooting out of the bottom of your spine and out of the bottom of your feet—like roots. Envision them plunging deep into the Earth, through the foundation of the building or through the pavement. Imagine them going down through the soil, through the crust of the planet, through the Teutonic plates and magma within, all the way to the center. Imagine them tapping the core, wrapping around it. Draw energy up from the core of the earth.
- Now imagine branches sprouting out up the top of your spine, through your neck and out of the top of your head. Imagine branches sprouting through your arms and out of your hands. Imagine them soaring up higher and higher, into the sky, through the stratosphere, going up to the center of the Universe and the source of everything. Imagine the branches tapping that energy and drawing it down back into yourself.
- Envision yourself filling up with the energy from above and below simultaneously, as divine Earth energies mingle with the divine universal energies, swirling inside of you, connecting you. Continue the visualization for as long as you like or feel necessary.
- When you’re ready, bring in those branches—feel them receding, withdrawing back into your being. Then do the same with those roots, bringing them back up through the earth and into yourself.
- Sit or lie somewhere so that you are comfortable. It’s best to keep your spine, arms and legs fairly straight—if you’re sitting up in a chair, simply plant your two feet on the floor (no leg folding).
- Take one or two deep breaths to bring your focus to your breathing. Then, begin breathing naturally- do not force it in or out. Let everything else in the world simply fade from your awareness. There is only breath, coming in and out of you. Imagine that breath going deep into your center of gravity—that spot about 2 inches below your navel.
- Imagine that breath is made of light—pure, divine energy. Breathe in the light, noticing how it soothes you, how it rejuvenates you. There is nothing right now but you, your breath, and the light.
- Examine your body with your mind’s eye. Perform a ‘body scan’. As you do, you’ll notice some pockets of things may be unhealthy looking—black flack, cloudy smoke, mucky dirt. In various parts of your body that don’t feel good, it may stuck, or lingering. This is all the build-up of negativity that’s been filling you, blocking the flow of healthy energy. Let’s get rid of it.
- With each exhale, breathe out that negativity. Start with your feet, and imagine that with every exhalation you are drawing any of that baneful energy and sending it out of your body. With every inhalation, you are drawing in that cleansing, healthy light that fills those empty spots and replaces the smoky flack and debris.
- Continue breathing in, filling yourself with the healthy, nourishing light, while simultaneously ridding yourself of all that harmful energy. Work your way up your legs, your hips, your back, your chest, from your fingertips to your shoulders, up your neck, and then down from the top of your head. Focus on one area at a time. Soon you’ll be rid of all that unnecessary energy that is harming you, and will have replaced it with the light—the clean, pure, divine, nourishing, nurturing light.
- Now envision that light that fills you, moving and pulsing within you. If there are any streams or tendrils of light that shoot out, away from your body, draw them back in as you breathe. Bring all the light within yourself so it flows through you harmoniously. Imagine it swirling—circulating, throughout your entire body.
- Now, notice your center of gravity—that center place deep inside you. This is the core. This is where all that circulating light runs from and swirls back to. Envision it swirling, like a tight, neat little whirlpool, allowing all the light to flow through your body and back to your center. Focus on this for as long as you like.
- When you're ready, return your attention to your surroundings and slowly open your eyes.
What About You?
Are you able to ground and center effectively?
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2015 Mackenzie Sage Wright