A Wiccan of 25 years, Sage likes to put her background as a writer and teacher to use by helping people learn about this NeoPagan path.
New Year's Eve Spell
New Year’s Eve may not be a Wiccan holiday, but it is a special time nonetheless. The planet has made yet another rotation around the Sun, and it’s something the human race almost universally recognizes now. As such, it is a good time for a simple rite.
If you have a formal ritual structure to which you adhere, and you would like to do your traditional circle casting and quarter calling with your tools in the usual way, feel free to do so. However, if you have not progressed enough in Wicca yet, have not started practicing formal ritual or collecting tools, or if you simply won’t have access to them during the holidays, you do not need them.
Happy New Year!
You Will Need
|Type of Item||Examples of What You Can Use|
Rice, birdseed, paper, just don't use metallic or plastic confetti as you want it to be biodegradable.
A ritual beverage.
Champagne, juice, water, or other natural liquid. Avoid soda pops and drinks with artificial ingredients.
The energy of the Universe.
Your love for your Gods or nature.
Preparing for Ritual
Start out by cleansing yourself for ritual. You might want to take a bath, or a dip in natural waters if you’re not in a cold climate. Alternately, you can smudge yourself with a cleansing incense like sage, or just go outdoors and stand with your feet apart, arms out and head back—let a good blast of wind cleanse you of your negativity.
Go somewhere quiet and private; it can be your room, or outdoors under the moon—wherever you like. Relax. Envision growing ‘energy roots’ out of your spine. They go right down to the base of your spine, spread out and go down your legs and right out of the souls of your feet. They wind down deep into the surface of the earth—through the pavement, through the sewers and other underground human creations, and deep down into the planet. Envision yourself drawing Earth’s energy up from these roots into your body.
Envision out of the top of your head that there are branches growing out, out of your spine, up your neck and out of the top of your head. They branch up, up into the sky, beyond the Earth’s atmosphere, into space. They tap into the energies of the sun, the moon, the stars, the universe itself—and you draw that energy down through your branches like a channel, right into yourself.
Envision the energies from above and the energies from below meeting in your body, right at your center (behind and slightly below your navel). Envision them filling you, swirling and mingling together, empowering and nourishing you.
Observing the Rite
Hold a bowl of confetti in your receptive hand (the hand that you don’t write with). At this point, you’re going to go around to the quarters and draw the Elemental energies into your confetti.
You can use my words, or whatever words you are comfortable with. If you’re not exactly sure which direction is which, just make your best guess, keeping in mind that the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Please view note below regarding direction associations.*
- North: I call to you, O Powers of North, ye Powers of Air; of wisdom and knowledge. With your permission, I draw from you the blessings of enlightenment. Bring clarity to me so that I might think and make decisions better in the coming year.
- East: I call to you, O Powers of East, ye Powers of Earth; of stability and fertility. With your permission, I draw from you the blessing of strength; bring firm resolve to me so that I might stand against adversity and survive challenges.
- South: I call to you, O Powers of the South, ye Powers of Fire; of passion and will. With your permission, I draw from you the blessings of courage so that I might face those things that frighten me and triumph over that which threatens me.
- West: I call to you, O Powers of the West, ye Powers of Water; of sensitivity and nurturing. With your permission, I draw from you the blessings of intuition so that I might attune better with my Gods, the cycles of nature and the cycles of life, and grow in spirit from those relationships.
At this point, invoke your Gods. I’m not going to tell you what to say or how it is best to do that, as I don’t know who your Gods are. This is definitely a personal matter between you and them. You can use a regular, established prayer, or you can speak off the cuff. Either way, as you invoke them, finish by telling them you honor them and ask for any blessings they may wish to bestow upon you.
The New Year Moon
Closing the Ritual
Sit for a while, and meditate on the rotation of the planet, on the cycles of the moon and the cycles of the sun. Meditate on the ever-turning of the Universe, the dance that keeps life going. Focus on all the blessings and the abundance of positive energies out there, waiting for us to both intake them, and expel them to share with others. The energies of the Universe are an eternal give-and-take, and note that you are part of that cycle.
Read More From Exemplore
When you’re ready, take your confetti, throw it up in the air and say, “Another New Year brings and abundance of blessings!” Throw it so that it showers back down upon you.
Make a libation to your Gods by thanking them and pouring out the beverage into the Earth, or into a cup or bowl that you’ll spill out onto the Earth later on.
You can sit and meditate a while further, or you can thank the quarters and the Gods, and be on your way.
If you’re indoors, sweep up as much confetti as you can and bury it.
- *A note about elemental associations—these can vary in different traditions. The correspondences in my trad are North/Air, East/Earth, South/Fire, West/Water. I believe the more common associations are North/Earth, East/Air, South/Fire, West/Water. I’m not going to get into here if one is better or not, because you should really follow what you believe, or what your trad (if you have one) teaches.
Please feel free to make any necessary changes in order to work with the correspondences with which you are most familiar.
Happy New Year My Witchy Friends!
- Spells, Exercises, and Lessons for Beginner Witches
Want to learn Witchcraft? Consider me your new teacher, and here are your first lessons. You'll find a wealth of free information here to help you get started on your path.
- New Year's Eve Prosperity Spell: Wiccan Magic for Abundance in the New Year
This New Year's Eve, why not bring a bit of Wiccan magic into your life? This prosperity and wealth spell is best timed to take advantage of New Year's Eve energies, but can actually be performed throughout most of the year.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2012 Mackenzie Sage Wright
The Witch on December 31, 2018:
The east is air...the south is fire...the west is water and the north is earth....
Mackenzie Sage Wright (author) on December 31, 2012:
I totally agree; I love my ritual tools but I like to remember that the mind is the only one I need. Some books focus so much on tools, some people think they can't actually be Wiccan because they can't afford it.
Laura Brown from Barrie, Ontario, Canada on December 30, 2012:
Good for you. I also focus on rituals which people can do without having to buy anything or have anything. Being Wiccan shouldn't be about having all the right stuff, it should just be who you are - even if you have nothing but yourself.