A scrying mirror, also known as a "black mirror," is a modern tool for divination. It's one of the easier tools to make yourself. Let's learn how!
Scrying is from the Middle English word descry, which means "to divine," and was most commonly done by crystal gazing. When you gaze at a shiny or blank surface, it opens up the door to the subconscious mind and taps into extrasensory perceptions. The tool itself is just a tool and holds no inherent powers—just like a paintbrush has no inherent powers. However, in the hands of the right person, it can create a masterpiece.
The image of the seer peering into the crystal ball is the most well-known example of scrying, but you don't actually need a crystal ball. In fact, it doesn't even have to be a crystal at all. All you need is something to gaze at—some people scry into bowls or pots of water, some scry into still water bodies like ponds. Some people scry into flat crystals or objects of shiny, polished metal. Still, others prefer fire scrying, gazing into the dancing flames.
A scrying mirror is one of the most accessible tools that you can make yourself, and for very little money. It's also no more or less difficult to learn to scry into a mirror than it is into a crystal or fire—the technique is the same.
How to Make a Scrying Mirror
Making your own scrying mirror is a fairly simple process.
- Go to a thrift shop and search for a picture frame that you like. Most people prefer a round frame for scrying. Mine is oval, though I've known people to use a square with great results. I don't think the shape of the reflective surface makes that much of a difference.
- Purchase the frame you like. Come home with it, clean it, and polish it up. Remove the glass or acrylic out of the frame.
- Lay the glass on newspaper. Clean it thoroughly with a window cleaner and a lint-free cloth.
- Allow the glass to air dry. Make sure it's streak and smudge-free.
- Paint the surface of the glass with metallic or glossy black paint. I like acrylic because they dry so quickly. Do as many thin coats as you need, getting them as streak-free as possible. You want complete coverage. Just let each coat dry a little in between.
- When it's completely dry, put it back into the frame, with the painted side on the inside. Spray and wipe the front of the glass now to remove any smudges and streaks.
- Wrap it in a soft cloth and store it where no one can bother it.
How to Use Your Scrying Mirror
Learning to become proficient with your scrying mirror will take far more time and practice than making it. If you've been meditating regularly and are skilled in other forms of divination, or if you seem to have a natural psychic twinkle, you may find success more quickly than you realize. It's really hard to tell who's going to have a knack for it, but don't get discouraged if it takes time.
The first thing you might want to do is cleanse, consecrate, and charge your scrying mirror. Through this process, you essentially banish any negative or old energies that the object may have picked up over the years, bless it for spiritual use, and infuse it with energies more conducive to its new use. I personally recommend allowing it to absorb the light of a full moon, and keeping it with a moonstone crystal.
Now, you're ready to use your mirror.
- Prepare your altar or ritual space. You can do a full-blown ritual if you wish— casting a circle and invoking your deities—but this isn't actually necessary. If you prefer, skip the formalities and just clear a quiet place.
- Stand your mirror up (that's why I like picture frames with a stand in the back). Put one candle on either side of it and light the candles. Dim the lights. Arrange the candles and mirror so they reflect light on the surface, but so that you can't see your own reflection.
- Get into a meditative state. If you have a particular issue to which you're seeking answers, meditate on that for a while. If not, just be mindful and go into an altered state of consciousness.
- When you're ready, gaze into the reflective surface. Soften your gaze, so that you're almost looking past the surface, peering deep into the mirror.
- Let your consciousness drift—don't try to think of anything in particular. Don't try to clear your mind. Just see what comes.
- You may get actual visions, either in your mind or in the mirror. You might hear your spirit guides, get impressions or simply have gut feelings. Don't analyze it at this point. Just allow it to come and go.
- Let the session last as long as you feel is necessary. It can be as little as 15 minutes or as long as several hours. Again—don't even think about time. It's irrelevant.
- When you're done, I recommend writing down your impressions immediately as they have a way of fading. Once you've opened yourself to messages, don't be surprised if they continue to come through signs or in dreams for the next few days.
- This is a perfect quiet activity for Samhain night for anyone looking to perform divination who is not trained in more complicated systems. You'll probably have more luck at this time of year as it is so ripe for these kinds of energies.
© 2013 Mackenzie Sage Wright
Scrying Mirror on January 03, 2020:
I have this awesome mirror that I would like to make into a scrying mirror but all the articles and videos show making it out of glass. Can I make it one out of mirror?
Legionsofdemons on October 19, 2019:
Where there is effort , there will be ease.
Where there is fear , there will be control.
Where there is lack , there will be wealth.
If you fear evil , then you are the one that brings evil forth.
Make your mirror from black shiney onxy , with one side mirrored finish. Collect branch twigs from the Dead tree deep in the Forrest. You will know the one. Have a mason cut stone to pyramid shape .angling up and back so it is ours own base stand. Super glue branches on all sides. Exactly 6 drops per branch. Mason to have all sides 6 in. Glue branches to all sides holding exactly 2min. firmly until bonded. When finished, dedicate your mirror saying this , " Master , Lord of the Air , I dedicate this looking Glass to thee . " Then with index finger , prick top of the sharp pyramid till blood comes the size of a BB pellet , take finger slowly from the very top , dragging down the center of mirror to 3in. Squeeze finger to blood again , go up 1in. and over 1.5in. from center of bloodline ,drag finger back across line exactly 1.5 in. To opposite side. It should look like an upside-down "t". Have 3 uniform red candles ready. October 30 at 11:55 place candles arms length to each side of base of mirror. The 3rd behind mirror same distance. Light , and be seated . Meditate into mirror , when the clock strokes Midnight , we will soon appear. MAMMON , ASMODEUS , LEVIATHAN , SATAN , BELPHEYOR , BEELZEBUB , AND LUCIFER.
Peachesforever1212231212 on April 29, 2019:
L o v e t h i s f o r m e. . .
Mackenzie Sage Wright (author) on April 22, 2014:
Thanks crayonbrains (lol, love the name!). I appreciate your comments and glad you found the article useful.
crayonbrains from The World Is Mine ! on April 19, 2014:
Interesting hub . Thanks for sharing !