Sage has been celebrating the Wheel of the Year for 25+ years, and being a holiday junkie, she just can't get enough of the sabbats!
A Time for Abundance
You can do a spell for abundance any time of the year really, but these kinds of spells are particularly powerful at Samhain. It is the autumn harvest season, and a time when magic is pretty potent. The season runs from about mid-October until mid-November, and a great symbol of abundance is readily available at this time: pumpkins!
You may be wondering, "An abundance of what?" Well, it could be an abundance of anything that you need: love, prosperity, friends, peace, health, success—anything you might be needing to get through the year.
Petition spells are simple candle magic with a written request for help thrown in. Who do you ask for help? Well, that depends on you—whose help do you want? You can call upon your God or Goddess, your spirit guides, or your ancestors. At this time of year, many believe the veil between our world and the spirit world is thin, so our departed loved ones may be better able to hear us and assist us.
If you're an atheist or don't like working with spirits, that's fine. If you prefer you can appeal to the universe itself.
This particular petition spell uses the pumpkin as a kind of vessel, not unlike a cauldron while making a potion. It's meant to contain the energies conducive to the working until you're ready to release them.
You Will Need
- A small pie pumpkin
- taper candle
- Small piece of paper
- something sweet to draw your desire
- Knife (sharp kitchen knife)
- Paper towels
- Extra candle in holder
- Cup or plate with an offering (bread, wine, juice, fruit, etc.)
- Ritual supplies (optional)
Reference the charts below to determine which herbs, oils, colors, etc. would be a good choice for your goal.
How to Perform the Spell
Prepare your pumpkin by cutting off the top and scooping out the guts, just as if you were making a jack-o-lantern. Reserve some of the seeds and dry them.
- Prepare your ritual space as usual and put all your tools/components on your altar.
- Begin your standard ritual, or use this one if you don't have a regular ritual opening/closing yet. Invoke whatever deity, spirit or force you wish to petition for help.
- Light your extra candle in its holder; this is a service candle that can be used to light anything else during your ritual.
- Dress your candle, if desired.
- Dig a small hole in the bottom of the pumpkin 'floor' that's just big enough for the taper candle. Use some wax for the service candle to help affix the taper in the pumpkin.
- Write your petition on your small paper. You can write what you want in a sentence, such as, "An abundance of (fill in the blank) flows to me continuously." If you prefer you can simply write a power word or two, such as, "Abundant Health!"
- Use oils to anoint the corners of your paper, then fold it up. Place it in the pumpkin.
- One at a time, consecrate and charge each of your components (herbs, oils, sweetener and pumpkin seeds) into the pumpkin, clockwise, around the candle. The whole time you are doing this, you should be focusing on your desired goal.
- You may then pray, chant, etc. while visualizing your goal. Envision your goal as energy channeling into your pumpkin and candle, imbuing them with power.
- When you feel you're ready, light the candle. Sit and relax, imagining you have your desire.
- When you're ready, you can thank whoever you invoked to ask for help by giving them the offering. After that, you can close up the ritual and open the circle.
- Let the candle burn out—but don't leave it unattended. If you need to, you can extinguish it. On subsequent nights, you can cast your circle and light your candle, meditating on your goal for about 10 minutes at a time. Do this each night (three, five or seven are most common) until the candle's power is spent and it flickers out on its own.
- Return your spell components to the earth by burying them on your property or throwing them into your compost pile. If you have no land, bury them in a flower pot and leave them there for a few months until decomposed.
Herb and Essential Oil Correspondences
|Goal||Herbs to Choose From*|
acacia, apple blossoms, bee pollen, bluebell, citronella, gardinia, gum arabic, meadowsweet, myrtle, passion flower, sweet pea, yellow rose petals.
anise, azalea, banyan, bee pollen, beech, catnip, cherry, geranium, hawthorn, lily, lily of the valley, neroli, orange, quince, saffron, white rose, witch's grass
caraway seeds, carob, chia, cinquefoil, coriander, dogwood, eucalyptus, figwort, galangal root, ginger, ginseng, high john, juniper, knotweed, larkspur, magnolia, maidenhair fern, rose hips, sage, sassafras, tansy, thyme
beech, blue cohosh, carnation, citronella, ginkgo bilboa, horehound, mistletoe, tuberose, vervain, violet
acacia, Adam & Eve root, angelica, anise, apple, apricot, bachelor buttons, balm of Gilead tears, barley, basil, beeswax, beet, blue violet, Brazil nut, caraway, cardamom, catnip, chamomile, chickweed, cinnamon, cloves, copal, coriander, cowslip, cumin, daisy, dill, elder, evening primrose, fig, foxglove, gardinia, ginsent, hibiscus, holly, hyacinth, ivy, jasmine, laurel, lavender, leek, lemon balm, lobelia, lotus, marjoram, meadowsweet, mullein, myrtle, olive, orange peel, orris root, pansy, pachouli, peach, pear, peas, peppermint, pink rose buds, poppy, raspberry leaf, red rose petals, saffron, tomato, vanilla bean, vetivert, willow, yarrow.
acorn, agar agar, allspice, aloe, ash, bamboo, banyan, bay leaf, bergamot, Brazil nut, buckeye, buckthorn, cabbage, calamus, catnip, chamomile, clover, corn, cotton, daffodil, daisy, devil's shoestring, dill, dragon's blood, galangal root, heather, holly, Irish moss, Job's tears, Little John, lucky hand root, maple, mistletoe, mustard seed, nutmeg, parsley, pineapple, poppy, rose hips, rowan, strawberry, thyme, tonka bean, violet, wintergreen
aloe, cilantro, coffee beans, coriander, gardenia, heather, hyacinth, kola nut, lavender, lily of the valley, magnolia blossoms, myrrh, myrtle, olive, orange blossoms, peppermint, plum, sweetgrass, tobacco, vervain, violet, white rose petals, ylang ylang
allspice, almond, basil, benzoin, bergamot, buckwheat, cashew, cedar, cinnamon, coltsfoot, flax, ginger, grape, high John, horseshoe chestnut, juniper, mint, mustard seed, nutmeg, onion, orange blossom, orange peel, pine, poppy, sassafras, tonka bean, vetivert, vervain, wisteria, wood aloe
acorn, althea root, arnica flowers, bayberry, bay leaf, bistort, borage, calendula, cedar, celery, celery seed, cinnamon, deer's tongue, dragon's blood, ebony, fern, flax seed, frankincense, ginger, goldenseal grape, honeysuckle, marshmallow root, mugwort, myrrh, orchid, periwinkle, rowan, star anise, sunflower
balsam fir, bay leaf, bee pollen, black cohosh, blessed thistle, borage, calendula, carnation, cinnamon, fennel seeds, geranium, ginger, high John, milk thistle, oak, oak moss, oregano, parsley, pine, spiramint, St. John's wort, tangerine, thyme, tobacco
agar agar, aloe, basil, bay leaf, benzoin, bergamot, chamomile, cinnamon, clover, frankincense tears, ginger, goldenseal, hawthorn, High John, honeysuckle, kava kava, lemon balm, lucky hand root, motherwort, mustard seed, orris root, pecan, pine, rowan, Solomon's seal root, strawberry, tonka bean
Colors and Numbers Correspondences
pink, green, red
red, orange, gold
1, 3, 9
2, 6, 9
gold, green, yellow
gold, silver, green, red
4, 5, 6,
silver, red, purple
3, 5, 7
red, orange, gold
1, 3, 8
yellow, orange, green
3, 5, 6
Read More From Exemplore
Sweeteners for Abundance Spells
fun and playful, great for attracting friends, love, and happiness
peace, bliss, sexual love
prosperity, wealth, luck
do research on the type of fruit used
love, money, luck
all-purpose; slower-acting but really helps desire 'stick'
Sugar (cubes, ground, powdered or sugar water solution)
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2018 Mackenzie Sage Wright
Logan Addams on August 21, 2020:
I will be adding this to my BOS!
Logan Addams on August 21, 2020:
I LOVE this and will be using this in October 2020!
Thank you for posting it!
Anu on October 01, 2019:
I want to learn directly
ABHSHEK SINGH on July 24, 2019:
I NEED INSTANT HELP PLEASE
skipper uh on April 16, 2019:
i need to buy secretly 19flighttickets
Jennifer B from Bolingbrook on October 24, 2018:
I may try this next week . Blessed be
Melissa Meadow from United States on October 24, 2018:
Love the correspondences that you've included here. So very helpful and easily obtained.
I'll be bookmarking this for all future reference. Thank you!