How to Make & Use Moon Water
Moon Water is water that has been charged and enchanted by the lunar rays of the moon. An upcoming dark or Full Moon is a fabulous opportunity to make your own Moon Water.
Selecting Your Magickal Vessel
First, you will want to select a vessel to hold your magickally charged water. It will need to be able to seal completely, and it is best if it is made of glass. Your vessel can be any color you like.
While the energy of the Moon Water is plenty on its own, you can also layer this magick by adding a specific intention such as love, healing, purification, divination, etc. You can even match the color of the bottle to your magickal intention. Use the table below to help you decide.
Beautiful, old-fashioned or ornate bottles or jars are lovely to use, but not necessary. You can absolutely use an old washed out mason jar. Though you may wish to give it a rinse with some salt water to remove any energy you don't wish to add to your Moon Water.
You can also decorate the jar with a moon and/or water symbols, ribbons, stickers, etc. And again they can coordinate with an additional magickal intention, or simply focus on the moon.
Clarity, focus, clear sight, air element, lunar magick, healing
Lunar energy, storm magick, protection, healing
Self-love, relationships, friendship
Passion, fire element, love, sex magick
Animal magick, earth element, protection
Faerie magick, prosperity, wealth, & riches, health & healing
Water element, mermaid magick, healing, increasing psychic abilities, divination, peace, Blue Moon magick
Element of Soirit, magick, increse personal power, protection
Cautionary Note on Use of Crystals in Moon Water
If you plan on ingesting your moon water, best practice is to not include crystals as they can be dangerous. If you do choose to include crystals, make sure you research them carefully.
Making Your Moon Water
Next, fill the vessel with water. If you have access to spring water, that is a lovely choice. Keep in mind though that spring water is 'alive' and can get funky over time. So if you choose to use spring water, you will want to use your Moon Water before the next full moon. River, lake, and ocean water have a similarly short life span.
Another option is distilled water which will have the longest shelf life. You can make your own simply by boiling tap water and allowing it to cool before adding it your Moon Water bottle.
And of course you can always use tap water. If your tap water is city water it will likely have a longer shelf life than if your tap water is well water. And keeping your Moon Water in the fridge will extends its self life as well.
If you wish you can add other magickal items such as sea salt, shells, or a special crystal or stone. It’s best not to add fresh or dried herbs though, as they could rot over time.
Just like the color of the bottle, you can select stones and crystals that are simply connected to the moon or to water or you can create Moon Water with a specific intent You can also add stones and crystals connected to your zodiac sign to make a personalized Moon Water designed to amplify your own personal power.
- Moonstone for lunar energies—do not drink this one
- Rose quartz for love
- Citrine for prosperity
- Clear quartz to amplify the magick
- A Zodiac stone connected to you or the full moon you are using (i.e. for a full moon in Libra you might add aquamarine)
Keep in mind though that many crystals should not be used in water. Always research the crystal you wish to use to be sure it is safe to use in water. It's best not to add crystals if you plan on drinking the water as many are not safe to consume. If there is a particular stone you really want to use but it should not be added to water you can place those stones on top of the lid or surround your bottle with them instead.
Welcome in the Moon Magick
Once filled, sit the vessel somewhere where it will receive the moon's rays completely. This can be outside, on an altar, or even on a window sill. Set it out before the moon rises, but after the sun has set; and be sure to remove it before the Sun rises the next day.
You may wish to enchant your water as you set it out by
- Whispering wishes to the moon into it
- Holding it to your heart for a few moments
- Saying a chant over it
- Asking the moon to bless your water with Her magick
- Singing over it
Whatever feels right to you in the moment is the best way to invite the lunar energy to infuse your water.
Using Your Moon Water
Once you have your magickal moon water you can use it for all manner of witchery.
- Add a few drops to your bath water for a magickal moon bath.
- Use it to wash or rinse your hair as part of a glamoury working.
- Bless or anoint yourself, your home, and/or magickal items (tools, crystals, jewelry, etc)
- You can use it to represent the Goddess on your altar.
- Bless and/or asperge your Witch's Garden to add lunar influences to your magickal space.
- Give some to your magickal plants to enhance your connection with them. This can even be a vase of flowers.
- If you have/use a diffuser or humidifier you can use moon water as the water you add to transform any area into a magickal space.
- If you paint you can mix moon water into your paints (depending on the type of paint used).
- Add moon water to leftover incense ash, and mix it together for a potent magickally charged 'paint' for drawing sigils and magickal symbols.
- You can even drink a few sips or add a few drops of this magickal potion to your tea or regular water to Ingest the energy of the moon and the Goddess. If you made a large enough batch you can cook or bake with it, or make your coffee or tea with it for a truly magickal brew. (The sooner the better if you plan to do this to make sure it is still fresh and safe to drink. Check your water first, use common sense and you should be fine. Do not use crystals in the water if you plan on consuming it.)
The options are endless, use your imagination and get creative with it.
Storing Your Moon Water
Be sure to label your Moon Water with the date, moon phase, and, if you know it, the astrological sign that the moon was in at the time.
Many choose to store their Moon Water in a dark place so as not to dissipate the moon magick contained, allowing only lunar energy to ever ‘touch’ it. Some even wrap it with a magickal cloth or meaningful scarf so that it stays in the dark.
And again you can always store it in the back of the refrigerator. Keep in mind though that the back of the fridge is often the coldest, so if you do choose to store your Moon Water in the fridge but sure not to fill it all the way to the top. Leave some room for expansion should the water get cold enough to partially freeze.
Don't Forget the Dark Moon
You can repeat this entire process on the Dark Moon (the three days when the moon is not visible to us) to make yourself some Dark Moon Water. You may wish to use a darker colored bottle, such as black, dark cobalt, violet, or even amber. And you may wish to use different crystals to match your intention—smoky quartz instead of clear quartz, for example. Remember to always research the crystal or stone first to be sure it can be kept in water.
You can use your Dark Moon Water the same way as you would Full Moon water just with different intention. Dark Moon water is useful for releasing, banishing, protection, endings, completions, connecting with crone energy, etc.
But don't stop there. You can also make Blue Moon Water on Blue Moons, New Moon water on New Moons (New Moon is the first sign of the waxing crescent), Lunar Eclipse Water during a Lunar Eclipse, etc. Every phase of the moon holds magick, and now you can capture some of it for your own use.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Jennifer Jorgenson