How Witches Can Improve Their Psychic Abilities
Psychic Abilities - Psychic Powers
Psychic abilities—everyone has them to some extent, just like everyone can sing to some extent. Some people are naturals at it, like Beyonce or Leah Michelle; others will barely qualify to sing in the church choir. But just about everyone has a voice. Likewise, just about everyone has some potential for ‘psychic powers’. If you want to learn how to be a Witch, this is a potential you need to tap.
The vast majority of psychics are not Witches. Let me make that clear up front. There is a difference between being a psychic and being a Witch.
However, developed psychic abilities can really help improve your efforts in The Craft. Psychic abilities allow us to sense, work with and manipulate energy better, and this is an important part of learning Witchcraft.
Some Psychic Abilities Covered Here
reading reading a person's energy field
free writing or free drawing while in a light trance and letting information flow without conscious thought or effort (no, it is not possession)
literally means "clear seeing"- being able to "see" without being there. In relation there is clairaudience (hearing), clairalience (smelling), clairgustance (tasting), clairsentience (feeling/touching), and claircognizance (just knowing)
or telekenisis, manipulating matter through the power of thought (most poltergeist and séance activity is actually suspected of being unconscious psychokenesis)
becoming aware of events before they occur
learning about someone through an object or photo that they are connected to
a form of clairvoyance when you attempt to see another location
What’s the Difference between Psychic Abilities and Practicing Witchcraft?
Psychic abilities, as stated above, are natural and inborn, and everyone has them to some extent. These are what’s behind the kind of curious moments everyone occasionally gets—a gut feeling not to board a plane that ends up crashing, a dream about grandma coming to say goodbye to you and then you wake up and find out she passed away in the night. Skeptics write off such instances as ‘coincidences’ whereas believers consider them natural intuition.
When these kinds of things happen to you a lot, and you learn to control them to some extent, you would be considered psychic. But this is not considered magic, it’s considered an innate ability. The vast majority of practicing psychics, even professional ones, do not bother learning or practicing Witchcraft.
Witchcraft is a skill—it’s something you learn and practice. It’s a literal Craft. Witches use the power of the mind and various objects to make the inner changes necessary to achieve a goal, and/or to manipulate energy to help draw oneself nearer to a goal.
To practice Witchcraft successfully requires using those same abilities that many people consider ‘psychic powers’. You’re flexing your ‘mental muscles’ here. That’s why anyone who wants to know how to be a Witch should start by training the mind.
These are the best kinds of cards to use. Psychic researchers use these cards because simple but powerful symbols are easiest to read. If you don't have a deck like this, you can use regular playing cards (get rid of the royal cards). But if you're going to keep practicing, a deck like this is a small but helpful investment.
Before You Start
- become adept at meditation. Start each session in a meditative state.
- find a partner to work with; this can be helpful with some exercises
- Keep a deck of cards on hand for some of the exercises.
- Don't over-do it. Keep practice to under an hour per day. Stop if you get frustrated or tired and meditate to relax and ground. Take a break for a few days if you start feel fatigue or illness during your normal day.
Here We Go
Practice Automatic Writing/Drawing
You will need a pad or pencil.
1) Choose a location to which you've never been or seen pictures of, somewhere public so you can go there soon.
2) Go into a light meditative state.
3) Let the pencil move freely, unconsciously, to write or draw whatever comes through your mind.
4) Go to the places and see if there are any connections to your written description or drawing.
As usual, don't get discouraged if it's not dead-on accurate; it takes time to train the mind, and your own brain will inevitably throw in some of it's own ideas that are not necessarily coming from any psychic impression. Keep trying.
Practice Reading Auras
You will need a friend and a blank wall for this (preferably white).
1) Have a friend sit or stand in front of a blank wall. Dim the lights but don’t make it dark.
2) Soften your focus and gaze around the edges of your friend’s form. See if you can see a difference in light, colors, or if you see any shapes or sparks—anything.
3) You and your friend can change places after a while and try it on each other.
You can begin doing this everywhere and anywhere—try it with rocks, trees, houses, plants, animals, people in crowds, etc.— the more you get used to seeing auras, the stronger and clearer the impression will become.
Tell Us About You
Do you consider yourself someone with psychic abilities?
You will need a friend to bring you an item or photo of someone you do not know. Your friend should know the person who owns the item very well.
1) Ask your friend to bring over the item, and not to say anything about it.
2) Take the item and hold it. Open your mind to explore the impressions that come to you.
3) Begin asking your friend questions. "Is this person a female? Is this person elderly? Was this person in a war? Etc.
4) Instruct your friend to answer "Yes," "No," or "I don't have that information." There should be very few "No" answers; instruct your friend to only say "No" if they are 100% sure -- your friend might be 100% sure the subject is not female, but may not be 100% sure he's never been in a war (or lived in some kind of war zone, or been connected to some kind of battle).
5) Write down impressions and let your friend tell you how you did. Anything that your friend didn't have the information, ask her to investigate and find out.
You will need cards-- make sure you can't see through them or tell what is on them from looking at the back.
1) Pick a card and put it face-down in front of you. Concentrate on what might be on the face.
2) Write down #1, and whatever image you think is on the face.
3) Don't look at the card-- put it aside in a new pile.
4) Do it again, and put the #2 card on top of #1. Keep going, keeping the cards in order. It's important to keep the deck neat.
5) When you're finished with the deck, turn the card pile over so you can see the faces. The first face is card #1, you can then compare the order of the deck to your notes to see how you did.
Again, 10 to 14 is considered average; 20 and above shows real talent, especially if you can pull off 20+ consistently.
Practice Developing Psychic Powers
You will need a friend and cards. You and your friend don't have to be in the same room. You can do this over the phone or the internet.
1) The 'caller' picks a card and concentrates on it. The caller should write a number and what the card is (#1, #2, and so forth).
2) The 'receiver' tries to guess the card by either saying what it is or writing it down (number them). The receiver might even write down any other images or feelings that come to mind.
3) After all the cards are done, compare notes to see how many 'hits' (correct guesses) and how many 'misses' there are. Then discuss any other odd sensations you might have jotted down.
The caller should not say 'hit' or 'miss' after every card, as this can disrupt concentration for the receiver. About 10 to 14 cards right in a 52 card deck is considered average chance. Above 20 indicates some pretty developed psychic abilities.
Practice Remote Viewing
You need a note pad and pencil for this.
1) Choose a location to which you've never been or seen pictures of. For example, you might choose a new store across town that you've never gone into. It must be a place you have access to so you can visit in the near future.
2) Go into meditation and envision the store. Try to call up a picture of it in your mind.
3) Note sizes, colors, and any impressions.
4) Write down all your impressions.
5) Over the next couple of days visit the store and see what you might have gotten right.
Don’t get discouraged if things are not as you imagined—for example, if you saw something blue in the corner, and there is nothing blue in that corner, there might have been a customer or employee wearing blue there on the day you practiced your exercise.
Telekinesis is very rare and very difficult to control. The trick behind learning it at all is to use something that already is in motion (has kinetic energy behind it). This is the same principle as why it’s easier to steer a boat drifting down the river than it is to push a boat that’s on dry land.
You will need an object with a little bit of weight to it, a string, and something to suspend it from so it hangs freely (a ceiling hook, a tree branch, a rafter, etc.).
1) Hang your object up. I actually like to lay under it so it’s hanging over me.
2) Push it to get it in motion. It doesn’t matter how it’s swinging.
3) Focus on it going in a different direction (for example, if it’s swinging clockwise, focus on it going counterclockwise).
4) If you’re successful, focus on changing the direction again (to swinging side to side maybe, or making a figure 8).
5) Keep practicing—this could take a number of times before you get it.
Tip: pay attention to your state of mind and how you feel when you’re successful.
Developing your psychic abilities requires effort. This article will get you off to a great start. If you want to continue your efforts to keep improving and honing those skills, this book gives some really great ideas.
© 2014 Mackenzie Sage Wright
More by this Author
Jar spells are so versatile! Learn the basics, and you can use the techniques for just about any magical goal. Here is a thorough, step-by-s beginner's guide to designing jar spells for any need.
Some Witches swear by timing spells based on moon phases. Here is a guide for using lunar timing in your spell work.
Want to learn Witchcraft? Consider me your new teacher -- and here are your lessons. You'll find a wealth of free information here to help you get started on your path.