How to Undo a Spell or Cancel a Curse
One of the many things that draws people to witchcraft is the prospect of working with energy, or in common parlance, casting spells. However, there is something you need to know before you even cast your first spell. It’s a little like knowing where the brake is when you begin learning to drive. I’m talking about how to undo a spell.
Why Should You Know How to Undo a Spell?
When we cast a spell, we are giving an instruction to the universe to alter reality; to change circumstances or to deliver a desired result. At the time of casting the spell, getting that desire answered is important. Important enough to go to all the trouble of creating or finding instructions for the spell, choosing a good time and place, and then performing the ritual. However, six months down the line, that desire might not be so desirable. In fact, it was all a big mistake. Having the means to undo your spell is essential.
Often the spell has run its course and you no longer want the results manifesting in your life. For example, you may have cast a spell to bring love to you… and the universe keeps delivering new potential lovers. You’ve already got the one you want so it might be a good idea to reverse or neutralize that spell.
Maybe the outcome of the spell is more powerful than you expected? For instance you did a weight-loss spell that worked beautifully but now you are getting a little too thin. You have to stop that one in its tracks right away. Or perhaps you worked a binding spell on someone and now realise that it is causing them mental stress. Again, that needs to be undone as soon as possible.
Does It Always Work?
I have to tell you that reversing spells doesn’t always work. Sometimes things have moved on so much that it is impossible. Also if your spell was designed to manipulate another person’s behavior, then they were probably in alignment with that change. However, they may not be in alignment with changing back again.
What Are the Options for Reversing a Spell?
- If you have a record of the original spell, you can literally work another spell in exactly the same way but change the wording and the feeling to its opposite.
- Maybe you can’t quite remember the original working? That’s okay, you can cast a spell to neutralize the effects of the first one.
- A releasing spell allows someone their freedom from your influence or from a spell you cast upon them.
- Breaking a spell is a method of reversing a love charm.
- Returning a spell is to reflect one or a curse cast upon you by someone else. Not recommended.
- Busting a curse or malevolent spell by washing it away and replacing it with protection and well-being.
- Cast a new spell all together in the hope of overriding the original one. This is sometimes known as counter-casting.
Rerunning the Original Spell
- Think carefully about the negative effects that it could have, both upon any other person involved and on you. Ask yourself if it would be better to allow the situation to evolve by itself. I call this the magickal risk assessment.
- Dig out your Book of Shadows or personal witch journal and find the old ritual.
- Gather up the same ingredients you used previously.
- Write a new chant that specifies that the spell should now be broken. Use the original as a guideline.
- Choose a good time to work the ritual. The best times are during the waning (shrinking) moon, on a Saturday and after sunset. If it is possible perform it during the months of July through to December when the days are becoming shorter (the opposite if you are in the southern hemisphere). However, if you can only do it on a certain day during a certain month, don’t worry too much about it. Those suggestions are simply to ease the way. If you perform the spell with enough feeling, it’s going to work anyway.
- When you begin your ritual, spend some time drawing the energy to you by feeling the appropriate emotion. So, for example, you might be wanting relief from the situation. Think about how that would make you feel. Really get into the emotion of it. This is so important and very often overlooked when casting spells. Get that feeling established within your mind, body and spirit.
- Perform the ritual with the new, or amended chant. This would work, but feel free to make up your own:
This spell, I no longer need.
Please release me from its creed.
Thank you for the work you did.
Now cancel it, as I bid.
- Release that emotional energy as it culminates. Speak the words, “And it harm none.”
- Know that it will be done.
- Follow your usual procedure for ending a ritual; a grounding meditation, closing the circle, getting a drink of water or eating something… whatever you normally do. And it is done.
How To Neutralize a Spell
Neutralizing a spell means to render it null and void. One method of neutralizing a spell is by taking the original ‘left-overs’, the candle stub, any written chants, and anything else used in the working of it, and putting them in a small, strong zip lock bag and freezing them with a few words to the effect that the spell is now ‘on ice’. The trouble with this one is that most of us don’t keep that old stuff, and disposing of it was part of the original spell. And also, we don’t really want bad juju in the freezer. However, you can use this as a short term solution until you decide what further action needs to be taken.
And just a side note: I recommend that you keep detailed records of all chants used in your magickal rituals. Make sure to date them and if there are any left-overs, bag them, label them and keep them in a safe place.
To neutralize a spell that is working well but you need to stop, such as in the weight loss example, set your intention to switch it off. Just imagine that the energy has an on/off switch. This is useful because if you need to turn it back on, it’s easy to do so.
- Hold the original idea of the spell in your mind. We’ll stick with the weight loss one, but you can adapt it for anything (halting the flow of admirers, job offers, etc.).
- Say out loud:
Weight loss spell, you worked so well
Now I need to switch you off
If I want you, I’ll give you a call
My command is that you shall stop.
- Repeat three times and then say “As I will, so must it be.”
- Know that it is done.
If you find this isn’t effective in the case of halting weight loss, I suggest you try a health charm and also change your diet to increase your daily calorie intake until your weight has stabilized.
‘Releasing’ is a fast and handy process to release a person from the influence of a spell, such as a binding or banishing. You can do a releasing as follows.
Do your magickal risk assessment. By releasing someone, you may be denying them support or causing anxiety, so make sure this is the right action to take.
- Choose your time. As above, pick a time when shrinking and receding is the order of the day, so waning moon, Saturday, after sunset is best for conducting a releasing ritual.
- Ingredients: a tea light or small votive candle, paper and pen.
- Set your ritual as you normally would. For instance you might cast a circle. Some wouldn’t, and that’s okay too.
- Spend a few minutes tapping into the required emotion.
- Light the candle (safely) and write the following:
**Their name**, I release you from this spell.
May you proceed healthy and well.
Go your own way in good time.
You live your life and I’ll live mine.
- Read the verse out loud three times then say, “And so it harm none.”
- Burn the paper carefully in the candle flame and as you do so, imagine the person feeling the relief of release.
- Know that it is done. Complete the ritual in your preferred manner.
To Break a Love Spell
Love spells are the most common spells that need to be broken. They are the most popular spells by far, but that also means that they are the ones that people want removed the most. Here’s a thought… don’t cast a love spell in the first place. Love is magickal enough, you don’t need to cause your future self a whole heap of trouble.
- Follow the other instructions given previously about preparing for a ritual, not forgetting your magickal risk assessment. Decide whether you are using a candle - you don’t have to. You can just tear up the paper
- Write down the following:
This spell of love no longer serves us.
Break it now, I insist you must.
Set us free to love again.
And from now on we will be friends.
- Repeat three times, then say:
As I speak it, so must it be. And it harm none.
Have you ever needed to reverse or undo a spell?
Reversing a Spell Someone Else has Cast Upon You
This is always a toughie. Sometimes you don’t even know if someone has cursed you or cast a spell on you. The only way to be sure is if they tell you. However, I have a more pragmatic way of looking at this. You can only be affected by someone else’s magickal working if you are in alignment with their desire. Exactly the same as if you tried to impose your will on another. It will only happen if they are in alignment with your aim. Imagine physically gently pushing someone along a path. If they don’t want to go, they’ll stand still and you can’t move them. If they are half willing, then they may well take a few steps along the way and then make a new decision. If they are hundred percent happy to go in the direction you want them to, they will walk forward of their own accord.
Yet, when you are having a run of negativity, if events leave you reeling with their unfairness, if you miss out on opportunities, lose friendships and money, then you might begin to think that someone has launched a psychic attack against you. In other words they have cursed you.
Why You Should Never Reflect a Spell, Hex, or Curse
The common advice given is to send the curse back to its sender. I strongly advise that you don’t do this. The likelihood is that the person who sent it your way will have already built in a counter-curse, ensuring that any mirror spell you do is sent straight back at you. And you know how these things are magnified threefold. So don’t do it. Instead you can stop it dead in its tracks.
So this is how to reverse that kind of spell and promote your future well-being.
Busting a Curse
There are three stages to removing a curse. Firstly...
Stage 1. The Cleansing
- Do this on a Saturday at the time of the waning moon.
- Fill a bath with warm water - the temperature should be just as you prefer.
- Add three cups of sea salt, rock salt, Himalayan salt or Epsom salts. All will work.
- Immerse yourself in the bath, duck your head under for a moment so your whole body is touched by the salty water. Wash yourself thoroughly, every inch. As you do so, whisper:
This curse of yours shall not stick
It washes off as easy as this
Down the drain it will flow
Never to harm me evermore
- Keep whispering it until you have finished. Remain in the bath, pull out the plug and let the water flow away. Then say, “As I command so must it be.”
- Dry yourself and get dressed.
Note: if you don’t have a bath, you can adapt the ritual for a shower. Rub dampened salt all over your body, then stand under the shower while whispering the chant.
Stage 2. Protection Ritual
The second stage is to perform a protection ritual. After your bath - and it can be a few hours later, but the sooner, the better.
- Light a candle and turn the electric lights off. Sit comfortably, preferably on the floor but on a chair or sofa is fine too.
- Close your eyes. Breathe in and out deeply three times, then moderate your breathing to slow and steady.
- Begin to imagine a circle of blue fire all around you. It’s a beautiful unearthly color. And there are other colors in the flames too. Just see this circle all around you and feel a sense of being safe begin to well inside you.
- Imagine the flames getting higher, and, at the same time, imagine them extending downward into the floor.
- Gradually, in your mind, let the beautiful blue flames form a sphere all around you.
- Know that nothing can penetrate this sphere but love and good intentions.
- When you are ready, allow the sphere to dissolve slowly. The sphere is gone, but the protection is there for a long time.
You can repeat this anytime you want to recharge the protection.
The last stage is to draw well-being to you.
Stage 3. Well-Being Meditation Ritual
- Wait until the moon is waxing or it is Full Moon. Best days to perform this are Tuesday or Thursday. You will need a glass of water. Try to use filtered or natural spring water.
- Follow the instructions in the previous ritual right up to and including creating the sphere.
- Imagine your sphere being filled with love and well-being. Make it a lovely color of shimmering violet.
- Breathe in all that love and goodness. Imagine it filling you and expanding outwards.
- Keep your eyes closed and visualize the glass of water in front of you.
- Imagine that the water begins to absorb the violet light. All that light in the sphere is being sucked into the water.
- Open your eyes, reach out and drink the water. Fast or slow, it’s up to you. Drink it all. As you do so, know that the violet light of well being is now completely in you.
- Close your eyes, re-picture the sphere and allow it to fade.
That’s it, it’s done.
Have something to eat in order to ground yourself. Know that your three-stage curse busting ritual is complete and you are protected. Feel free to repeat as necessary, but no more than once a month.
Got a Question About Undoing Spells?
If I haven’t been clear, or if you need more information, please feel free to ask below. However, please read the article carefully as I can’t answer questions that are addressed in the text or have answered in previous responses to others.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
My husband died six years ago. I didn't have a good relationship with my ex in-laws. They never liked me. I was just advised that he placed a binding curse on me before we got married, and continued to put curses on me. He wants me dead, so he can take my two kids. How can I protect myself from my husband's curse? I have had nothing but negativity and bad luck for the last 15 years.
Follow the instructions given above for 'Busting a Curse', including the protection and well-being rituals. Repeat monthly, as necessary. Take practical steps to remove yourself and your children from your in-laws' influence.Helpful 5
Is casting a spell similar to praying for something?
Yes, it is. Though working magick is usually (not always) more intense and focused.Helpful 4
Doing a reversal curse, will the sender know or feel anything?
No, because the instructions given above are not to 'reverse the curse'. In fact, I specifically warn against doing that. The best way is to simply rid yourself of the spell by following the suggestions in the article.Helpful 4
My ex cast a love spell and binding spell on me. It was over ten years ago and I still can't get her out mind so am needing help. I don't really know what I need to do?
It sounds as though you don't need protection from this person, so simply perform the bathing ritual given under, "Busting a Curse - Cleansing". Change the wording to the following:
These charms of yours shall not stick
They wash off as easy as this
Down the drain they will flow
Releasing me for evermore.
Then say, "As I speak these words, so must it be."
Repeat once a week over the course of a month, although you may find once is sufficient.Helpful 3
I feel no matter what I do I end up in the same place. Its like I have a desire to return to what I hate... and I find myself right back there again. Am I cursed?
What you appear to describe (and I have edited some of what you wrote) are symptoms of an imbalance in your mental health. You aren't cursed. You keep repeating behavior that doesn't serve you well, so you need help to break out of the cycle. Reach out to a health professional or counsellor who can help you.Helpful 2
© 2019 Bev G