How Magic Works in Witchcraft
What is magick and why the heck do you spell it like that? In essence, magick is a process of making change happen. And witches tend to spell it with a ‘k’ in order to distinguish it from stage magic, which involves sleight of hand and audience misdirection. Real magick is nothing like that.
I’m a witch. And I know magick is real and it works. All the time. Well, mostly all the time.
A Brief History of Magick
All the centuries through, magick has been available to everyone, but certain people and faiths began to see that it would be more to their advantage if ordinary folk did not have access to the basic knowledge and understanding of how to manipulate energy. It may have begun thousands of years ago when someone demonstrated superior magickal skills and was elevated to the village shaman or magician. Gradually, the villagers would come to rely on this powerful individual for direction and give up working their own magick.
Much later on, in organized religion, the use of magick was designated ungodly and heretic. To the point where anyone suspected of using it was put on trial and either imprisoned, tortured, hanged or burned. In Christianity, the Church reigned supreme and those in power could not have the previously pagan population autonomously creating better lives for themselves.
In this way, magick became locked away. The knowledge was only available to those who put in the effort to seek it out. In the main, this previously accessible power was cloaked in mystery so that the common man (or woman) was put off by the requirements of initiation ceremonies, complex ritual and esoteric knowledge. In other words, it was hidden or ‘occult’.
What Magick is Not
Let’s dispel some misconceptions. Magick is not what you see in Harry Potter movies. It’s not something you can see happening in front of you. And, usually, the results don’t materialize immediately. Neither are they spectacular or life-changing in one stroke. No sparks. No smoke. No pretty cascades of stars. Sorry.
What Can Magick Do?
Real magick is the art of subtly changing reality to reflect the practitioner’s wishes. For example, if you want to pursue a certain career, magick can help with those all-important serendipitous circumstances that are really doorways to your desire. Magick can invisibly manipulate circumstances in your favor. Magick is the key to making energy work for you, instead of you trying to push through the dead weight of social control. This universal energy is your leverage to success. It is the key to a happy, rewarding, fruitful life.
Here are some of the ways in which you can use magick:
- To change your own attitudes and perspectives.
- To increase your confidence
- To open your mind to possibilities
- To alter, improve and change circumstances
- To add an extra dimension to your life
- Attract love and improve relationships
- Improve career prospects and increase success
- For healing and protection.
Basic Principles of Magick
Magick is simply the impressing of will upon energy. It’s based on the premise that thoughts and feelings are, in themselves, energy. If you want to go into this deeper, look into the Law of Attraction. However, many proponents of LoA lack understanding of this Law of the Universe because they believe that there is goodness in positivity and not-so-good in negativity. They are wrong.
As far as the working of magick is concerned, Universal energy does not care whether your emotion is good or bad. What does matter is intensity. During a magickal ritual, it helps to move your emotions from negative to positive as you visualize the outcome. That’s because it has a beneficial effect on your wellbeing.
Think of the sacrificial rituals of less enlightened societies of old; the kind that used human beings. These rituals had power because they were fueled by the fear of the poor person facing torture and death. It didn’t matter to those witchdoctors and chieftains that the emotion was as negative as it gets. All they knew was that powerful magick would result.
So how does the will of a person cause the manipulation of energy? Your thoughts, your spoken words and your feelings are manifestations and expression of the same energy that permeates every last molecule in the universe. There is no place devoid of energy. Even in the vast frozen emptiness of space there is still a low level ‘hum’ of energy called the ‘zero point field’.
When you express an idea, a desire, a wish, or say a prayer you put the energy of it out into the ‘wild’, if you like. If the energy expressed is strong enough, things will begin to happen in a sort of organized chaos kind of way. Cogs turn, wheels spin, and gears shift. If you leave things alone, also called ‘letting go of the outcome’, eventually your desire, or a form of it, will come to pass. What most of us do is interfere in the process by thinking more about it, wondering where it is, focusing on the lack of it, or generally not believing it can happen. Struggling, trying too hard, disbelief are all forms of energy that will stop your desire in its tracks. Those cogs, wheels and gears, turn in the wrong direction. Then they might reverse again, and again. The universe can’t bring you what you want because what you want keeps changing.
Witches learn to work magick by focusing and directing their energy. It works exactly as described above. The difference is, we might cast a circle, use certain tools, light candles, create sigils, make a potion, speak a carefully devised combination of words, or take any number of other actions. These together are known as ‘ritual’. Some rituals are freeform, i.e. made up as we go along, or performed to a designed and choreographed series of actions.
All these things are there for one purpose. And that is to help in the focus of the witch’s attention and thereby, their energy. Many of us learn that we can do magick without any of the paraphernalia. Yet, it’s all so much fun to use our witchy stuff when working magick. It also means that when the tools are laid aside, the candle burned out, the circle dismissed, we carry on with daily life, confident that the spell is working for us. No need to mull it over. No need to worry about the outcome. The spell is cast, so it must bring results.
Types of Magick
- Sympathetic: based on Law of Attraction, ‘like attracts like’. So the use of pink quartz for love, or a green candle for money. Also called ‘correspondences’.
- Sigil: personally created symbols to represent a desired outcome.
- Ritual: a series of actions designed to produce a result. Usually combined with a spoken request.
- Poppets: the use of a doll or some other representation of a human being to bring about a change.
- Candles: to aid in the sending of a spell out to the universe.
- Written: sometimes the most effective spells are those that are written down. Can be combined with any other type of magick.
Spell to Improve or Change a Situation
This is simply a basic framework of a spell. You are encouraged to embellish it, write it down, change the words as you wish. The more personal you make it, the more likely it will work for you. Use a candle, incense, and representations of the directions and elements, if you like.
- Gather your materials and tools if using them.
- Cast a circle
- Sit, quietly facing North and feel as negatively as you can about the situation you want to change.
- Wallow in the emotion for a minutes or too. Imagine if nothing changed, how awful it would be. Really feel it to the point where it is painful.
- Gradually introduce new thoughts about the situation improving.
- Allow your emotions to improve and soar. Feel as joyful as you can.
- Pretend you are looking back on this from 12 months hence and how happy you feel that the problem is behind you.
- Lift your arms towards North and say:
- “I look forward to the best possible outcome of **name your situation**. The problem is solved and all is well. As I speak these words, make it happen, with no harm done.”
- Relax. Feel good.
- Stand up, close the circle and go about your day.
From now on, only notice the positive improvements in the situation.
Get in touch below if you have any questions.
Has magick worked for you?
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Bev G