Are You a Witch? Telltale Signs and Characteristics to Look For
If you feel a little different from other people. If you don’t quite fit in. If your interests seem to veer wildly from those of people you are close to. If animals are drawn to you. If you feel at home in nature and comfortable in the dark… it’s quite possible you might be a witch.
What Is a Witch?
This is a difficult question because there are literally hundreds of different kinds of witches, and witchcraft traditions can vary wildly from place to place and person to person. However, the kind of witch I am talking about is pretty straightforward: a witch is a wise woman (or man) who uses energy to make things happen.
Be aware that people are rarely born into witchcraft, despite what some people claim. Witchcraft is a path you choose to follow. Even if you have all the characteristics described here, that doesn't mean you have to tread that path. It's all about choice.
Signs You Might Be a Witch
- You dislike crowds. The energy of all those people seems to swirl and eddy around you. You might get a headache or feel grumpy or slightly ill if you get stuck in the middle of a large crowd.
- You have always been able to rely on your intuition. Whenever you needed to make a snap judgment, your intuition has kicked in to guide you. If you’ve been unsure about someone’s motives, your intuition got you right out of that situation. If you’ve anguished over a decision and in the end decided to go with your gut, you were following your intuition and I expect it was spot-on.
- Death and what happens after we die has always fascinated you. You often feel as though people who have passed haven’t gone anywhere at all. They are just behind a thin veil and have their quirks and characters just like the living. At the same time, you know we are all part of one whole.
- You are a sponge for knowledge. You love to read and discover new things constantly. You love to be awed by the simplicity and complexities of the Universe.
- You feel energy. Literally. Whether it is in your hands, flowing through you, or swirling around you, you know it is a real thing. Just because we can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there.
- You can identify the energy of any place you visit. You can "read" the emotions that have been impressed on a building in the past. Sometimes, you just have to leave if it becomes too overwhelming. Other times, you feel you can exert a calming influence. Occasionally, it seems as though you have visited a place before even though you are sure you haven’t.
- You’ve always been attracted to the ‘Dark Arts,’ perhaps tarot, astrology, spell work, or healing. You believe there is so much about us—and the world—that we don’t understand, but the more you learn about witchcraft, the more you want to learn.
- Nature feels natural to you. When you are in nature (walking in a garden, the woods, on the heath, or in a park), you feel like that’s where you belong. Nature restores your very being through connection with grass, trees, oceans, and rocks.
Physical Signs or Characteristics of a Witch
There's no way to simply look at a person to determine whether or not they are a witch. However, some of a witch's inner characteristics might cause visual clues.
- You like to wear black. Seriously, witches can wear anything and the black clothes thing? Well that’s just an affectation. These days, modern witches wear what they like. However, black and red stripy tights are a must... just kidding (says the woman with two pairs in her hosiery drawer).
- You prefer silver to gold. Witches like silver because it is the color of the moon. Silver is soft and gleamy, whereas gold is brash and loud. Silver whispers; gold shouts.
- You’re always collecting things. Unusual pebbles, shells, strange twisted sticks, bird feathers, bones, coins, scraps of fabric or paper, old stuff, things other people wouldn’t give a second glance to. And cats or other animals.
- You are drawn to animals, and they are drawn to you. You have a natural rapport with creatures. Not only domestic animals, but wild ones, too.
- You accumulate objects that reveal your witchiness. The books on your bookshelf, contents of your cupboards, animals that surround you, and other random objects and curios you collect all hint at your inner truth.
More Clues You Could Be a Witch
- You are observant. You take notice. You are always using all your senses. You hear, you see, smell, taste, and touch. You can’t pass by an interesting tree without touching it. You can’t ignore a herb garden without getting your hands right in there, with your nose following close behind. You hear birds and insects. You acknowledge their existence and are grateful for their presence on the planet.
- You respect boundaries. You know instinctively when a person needs a hug or when they’d prefer not to be close. You know when to shut up and when to offer advice.
- You are attracted to quirky, interesting, unusual people. You are bored by many, but when introduced to someone who doesn't seem to conform, you make an instant connection.
- You can keep a secret. Forever, if necessary.
- Storms and lashing rain excite you. You’d love to get out there and be part of it. The visible force of nature gives you a rush.
- The Moon seems to be important in a spiritual way, but you’re not quite sure why. Sometimes her beauty takes your breath away. You always notice full moon and your heart lifts when you see the crescent moon peeking through scudding clouds.
- You feel connected to the elements: fire, water, earth, and air.
- You’re reading this and you made a connection. You know that this is you. Even if all these things don’t apply, you just feel it. You are a witch.
Witch Quiz: Find Out If You Could Be a Witchview quiz statistics
After You’ve Determined You’re a Witch…What Next?
Well, possibly nothing. If you don’t want to be a witch, you can carry on just as you are, with the added layer of knowledge that you are slightly different from those around you. Or you could choose to discover more about the path you’ve unexpectedly found yourself treading.
To develop your natural inclinations further and explore your own witchy potential, you could research the various traditions out there, including Native American, Celtic, Norse, and British Trads, Wicca, Voodoo, and Fairy and Solitary, to name just a few. You may want to find others like yourself and maybe embark on an initiation path, which is like a college degree for witches. There are many choices before you.
For now, though, I recommend you take it slowly. Read all you can, and find out where your interests lie and what makes your heart sing. Above all, enjoy the knowledge that you could be a witch. Do remember what I said earlier: Witchcraft is a path you choose to take. It's not compulsory.
Many people have been asking what's the best way to proceed. I've written another article to attempt to answer this: I Think I'm a Witch; What Are the Next Steps? If you have any other questions that I can answer with an article, please let me know in the comments section.
Note: I get lot of questions asking the same thing: What do I do next? The answer is right there in that section and the additional link, above. Please read through all the answers and comments to see if I have already given the answer you're looking for.
Are You a Witch?
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I learn to practice witchcraft?
Witchcraft, the practice of magick to achieve an end that cannot simply be achieved through normal means, takes a lot of practice. To start learning how to use energy to make things happen, read How to Become a Witch and Practice Witchcraft.
If I'm a witch, how do I begin doing all the things witches do?
Along with studying, researching, reading extensively, and learning about spells, there are many practices you can incorporate into your daily rituals. Read 50 Ways to Be a Witch Every Day and pick one or two rituals to add to your routine.
What kind of witch am I: green witch, white witch, hedge witch, word witch, shaman, etc.?
Part of every witch's education is learning about all the different types of witches there are. Read What Kind of Witch Are You? 60 Witchcraft Traditions for more information.
How can I spot a modern-day witch?
You can't. She might not wear black, she won't carry a broom or wear a hat. She'll look just like you or me or anyone on the street. "She" might even be a man.
How do I know if I'm a wizard or male witch?
We don't usually use the term "wizard," as it is a different thing altogether. Neither do we use "warlock" or "magician." A male witch is basically a male witch, though there aren't many, and the signs listed above would apply to them, too. They would probably also describe themselves as Wiccan or pagan.
Is being a witch the same thing as being pagan or Wiccan?
"Pagan" is a broad term that describes anyone following an earth-based spiritual path. "Wiccan" is a specific religious path that falls under the umbrella term of witchcraft. So some pagans might be witches, but all Wiccans are witches. If you think you might be pagan and want to learn more, read 7 Signs You Are a Pagan.
Do I have to be related to witches to be a witch myself?
No, you don't. Despite what some claim, people are rarely born into witchcraft. It is a path you choose to follow, not a hereditary thing.
Questions & Answers
- Helpful 23
I have dreams that I know are real. I am in different places. I feel it in my body. I wake up and see things that look like smoke or light moving. Does this mean I am traveling to different places? How could I control it when I am awake?
I'm afraid I'm no dream expert, so it might be a good idea for you to do some research on lucid dreaming.
Have a look at some of the articles on this page: https://exemplore.com/dreams/Helpful 1
Is it true that witches don't like refuse?
By 'refuse' do you mean trash? If so, then witches are great recyclers. They care about the planet and hate when humans desecrate it. All witches should be super eco-aware.
I love rain and storms. I feel unexplainable calmness when it comes to rain. I love pets, except for crocodiles. Is it possible I'm a witch?
You can choose to be a witch, or not. It is up to you. It's not necessarily something you are born with, but a path that attracts you. Do you want to follow a witchcraft path? Here are some ideas: https://exemplore.com/wicca-witchcraft/What-Kind-o...
I know I'm a witch. I have every quality but the rain and darkness. I get my energy through the sun. Why is that? I have headaches when rain is coming, and clouds suck my energy out. Why does this happen?
I'm no expert in human physiology, but I do know that sunshine energizes people - that's normal. And lots of people get headaches before lousy weather because of the change in atmospheric pressure. What you describe is very common.Helpful 2
© 2017 Bev G