Are You a Witch? Signs and Characteristics
If you feel a little different from other people. If you don’t quite fit in. If your interests seem to veer wildly from those of people you are close to. If animals are drawn to you. If you feel at home in nature and comfortable in the dark… it’s quite possible you might be a witch.
What Is a Witch?
This is a difficult question because, there are literally hundreds of different kinds of witches, and witchcraft traditions can vary wildly from place to place and person to person. However, the kind of witch I am writing about is pretty straightforward. Put simply, in my world, a witch is a wise woman (or man) who uses energy to make things happen.
Be aware that people are rarely born into witchcraft, despite the claims of some people. Witchcraft is a path you choose to follow. Even if you have all the characteristics described here, that doesn't mean you have to tread that path. It's all about choice.
Signs You Might Be a Witch
Maybe you can relate to several of the following witch characteristics?
- You dislike crowds. The energy of all those people seems to swirl and eddy around you. You often get a headache, or feel grumpy, or slightly ill if you have been stuck in the middle of a large crowd.
- You have always been able to rely on your intuition. Whenever you needed to make a snap judgment, your intuition has kicked in to guide you. If you’ve been unsure about someone’s motives, your intuition got you right out of that situation. If you’ve anguished over a decision and in the end decided to go with your gut, you were following your intuition and I expect it was spot on.
- Death and what happens to us when we die has always fascinated you. You often feel as though people who have passed haven’t gone anywhere at all. They are just behind a thin veil and have their quirks and characters just like the living. At the same time, you know we are all part of one whole.
How About These Witch Characteristics?
- You are a sponge for knowledge. You love to read and discover new things constantly. You love to be awed by the simplicity and complexities of the Universe.
- You feel energy. Whether it is in your hands, or flowing through you, or swirling around you, you know it is a real thing. Just because we can’t see it, doesn’t mean it’s not there.
- You’ve always been attracted to the ‘Dark Arts’. Perhaps tarot, astrology, spell work, or healing. You believe there is so much about us, and the world, that we don’t understand, but the more you learn about witchcraft, the more you want to learn.
- You are easily able to ascertain the energy of any place you visit. You can read the emotions that have been impressed on a building in the past. Sometimes you just have to leave if it becomes too overwhelming. Other times, you feel you can exert a calming influence. Occasionally it seems as though you have visited a place before even though you are sure you haven’t
- When you are in nature, walking in the woods, on the heath or in a beautiful park, you feel as if that’s where you belong. It restores your very being to reconnect with grass and trees, ocean and rocks.
More Witchy Indicators
- You like quirky, interesting, unusual people. You are bored by many, but when introduced to someone who seems just like you, you make an instant connection.
- You like to wear black. Seriously, witches can wear anything and the black clothes thing? Well that’s just an affectation. These days modern witches wear what they like. However, black and red stripy tights are a must. Just kidding. Says the woman with two pairs in her hosiery drawer.
- You prefer silver to gold. Witches like silver because it is the color of the moon. Silver is soft and gleamy whereas gold is brash and loud. Silver whispers; gold shouts.
- You’re always collecting things. Weird things. Unusual pebbles, shells, strange twisted sticks, bird feathers, bones, coins, old stuff, things other people wouldn’t give a second glance to. And cats.
- You can keep a secret. Forever, if necessary.
Even More Clues You Could Be a Witch
- You are observant. You take notice. You are always using all your senses. You hear, you see, you smell, taste and touch. You can’t pass by an interesting tree without touching it. You can’t ignore a herb garden without getting your hands right in there and your nose following close behind. You hear birds and insects. You acknowledge their existence and are grateful for their presence on the planet.
- You respect boundaries. You know instinctively when a person needs a hug or when they’d prefer not to be close. You know when to shut up and when to offer advice.
- Storms and lashing rain excite you. You’d love to get out there and be part of it. The visible force of nature gives you a rush.
- The Moon seems to be important in a spiritual way, but you’re not quite sure why. Sometimes her beauty takes your breath away. You always notice full moon and your heart lifts when you see the crescent moon peeking from bend scudding clouds.
- You feel connected to the elements: fire, water, earth and air.
- You’re reading this and you made a connection. You know that this is you. Even if all those things don’t apply, you just feel it. You are a witch.
Are You a Witch?
You’ve Determined You’re a Witch…What Next?
Well, nothing if you don’t want to. You can carry on just as you are, with the added layer of knowledge that you are slightly different from those around you. Or you could choose to discover more about the path you’ve unexpectedly found yourself treading.
You may wish to pursue any of the characteristics listed above. To develop them further, and to explore your own witchy potential. You could research the various traditions out there, including, Wicca, British Trads, Celtic, Norse, Native American, Voodoo, Fairy and Solitary, to name just a few. You may want to find others like yourself and maybe embark on an initiation path, which is like a college degree for witches. There are many choices before you.
For now, though, I recommend you take it quietly. Read all you can, find out where your interests lie and what makes your heart sing. Above all, enjoy the knowledge that you could be a witch. Do remember what I wrote earlier: witchcraft is a path you choose to take. It's not compulsory.
Many people have been asking what's the best way to proceed. I've written another article to attempt to answer this: I Think I'm a Witch; What Are the Next Steps? I'll probably add more to it at a later date. If you have any other questions that I can answer with an article, please let me know in the comments section.
Note: I am receiving a lot of questions asking the same thing: what do I do next? The answer is right there in that section and the additional link, above.
I am happy to answer any questions, but please read through the earlier answers and comments to see if I have already responded to a similar one.
Images via Pixabay
Questions & Answers
I'm sure that I'm a witch, but I don't know what kind of witch I am? How do I explore all the different options?
Your choices are numerous, from taking a well-defined, traditional path to putting together your own witchcraft itinerary. You might choose to follow guidance laid down in a book, or to search out a local training coven.
To help, I have a list of 60 different witchcraft traditions right here: https://exemplore.com/wicca-witchcraft/What-Kind-o...
Have a read through, then go off and research any that seem attractive to you. Remember that you can take parts of one and merge them with another if you wish.
Can I do spells even though I'm just starting out?
I would suggest you do your research and read up about working with magick (energy). It's possible to do yourself a lot of harm if you don't know what you are doing. Remember that everything you put out may come back to slap you round the head.
Is it true that witches don't like refuse?
By 'refuse' do you mean trash? If so, then witches are great recyclers. They care about the planet and hate when humans desecrate it. All witches should be super eco-aware.
How would I know if I’m really a witch if only half of this happened to me? I want to know why I have dreams that predict the future, and why I have dreams about weird symbols?
You know if you feel it. 'Witch' is just a label after all. What you have (like most people) are certain gifts such as precognition. And it's up to you whether you want to develop them or suppress them. I can't tell you why you get the dreams you do; perhaps you could do some dream research? Meditation would probably help you get some answers.
Can one be a witch or a practitioner of witchcraft without being Wiccan? Are the two meant to be synonymous?
You don't have to follow the Wiccan path if you don't want to. That's just one branch of witchcraft. And, you can indeed construct your own brand of witchcraft according to your own beliefs and preferences. There's no need to label yourself at all.
However, there are many other traditions to pick and choose from if you wanted to do so: Ancestral, Angel, Animist, Celtic, British Traditional (covers a vast range of regional practices), Ceremonial, Chaos and so on. I'm currently putting together a long list of as many threads as I can find.
Wicca is relatively modern, as you know, and there are many aspects of it which are fluid and beautiful. However, certain Wiccan communities have made it as dogmatic and dull as any organized religion. Any new witch must decide for her or himself what feels right for them. There is no right or wrong way to go about things. If you want to cast circles, then do so. If they feel like hocus pocus nonsense, then don't. There's no must or should in your practice.
For further reading, I suggest Jeffrey B. Russell's "A New History of Witchcraft."
© 2017 Bev G