A Samhain Harvest Spell: Bring Prosperity Into Your Life
Prosperity—who doesn’t need a little more of that?
Samhain is considered the “New Year” by many Pagans. What better spell to start out the new year than one to bring abundance into your life? This spell is designed to help you create a charmed bag that will make all your hard work and efforts come to fruition and bring a ‘bountiful harvest’ for you to reap all the new year through.
Be Blessed With a Bountiful Harvest This Year
You Will Need
The components for this spell are fairly simple to find, but will require a little advanced effort to collect them. To list them, you’ll need:
- A small pouch or swatch of silky or satiny fabric (green or gold is ideal)
- A ribbon (if using a pouch—orange, green or white)
- Anointing oil such as cinnamon, patchouli or mint (if you don’t have them, you can infuse any of these herbs with warm—just under a simmer—olive oil then let it cool and strain it; reserve the oil)
- A marker (green or orange, ideally, but black will suffice)
- 8 dry corn kernals (like Indian corn or popcorn)
- 8 beans (any kind, dry)
- 8 squash seeds (seeds from your jack-o-lantern is ideal)
- A teaspoon of dirt from your property or nearest to outside your door (microwave it for about 40 seconds to sterilize it)
- Some of your hair and nail clippings
To be more effective, you should cleanse and consecrate all your components (don’t charge them yet). You can do this ahead of time if you like, or within the ritual itself in which you plan to do the spell. If you’re unsure how to do this, please see my other article Wicca Basics and the Three C’s; Cleansing, Consecrating and Charging.
Some Important Details
You may cast this spell on Samhain Night, on the nearest full moon or nearest Sunday night. You may do it within a full blown ritual—circle and all—or you may do this out of the circle in a quiet, private place. The kitchen table or your office desk where you work are good places for it.
You have to do a lot of visualization and energy transference in this spell. Try to wipe all your past problems out of your mind— it’s not a good time to think about money problems, to feel want, need, desire, or any of those emotions. What you need to promote is a feeling of peace, contentment, fulfillment, satisfaction—even if you don’t have those things in your life now, you need to find a thought (perhaps imagining what life is like when you’re more financially secure) that makes you feel that way.
Repeat positive affirmations to yourself if necessary:
- This is a good year for me
- I am confident and successful
- My life is filled with abundance and I am content
I cannot stress how much you must not think of yourself as being in need or wanting; if you do, this is the energy you will put into your charm. You should also not think of your financial security as being in the future—you don’t want the charm to work sometime in the future, you want prosperity now. Think of yourself as having financial security and abundance now.
Finally, avoid thinking about unlikely or unrealistic situations like winning a lottery or getting a million dollar book deal for a novel you haven’t even written yet. Instead, focus on earning money from honest work and realistic efforts. This spell isn’t designed for unrealistic and easy riches, it’s designed for you to harvest that which you have brought to fruition through your own good choices, strengths and efforts. Remember: abundance—not excess.
Casting the Spell
- Lay out your components. Take a deep breath and relax. Put your awareness in the moment.
- Take the marker when you’re ready, and in the center of the fabric swatch (or on the front of the pouch) write the ancient rune FEHU—the rune for success and financial security.
- Take the oil in your hands and charge it with magnetic energy to draw financial security. Dab some on your finger and anoint the fabric with the symbol of the pentagram; a symbol of power.
- Take the soil; envision your household right now as financially secure, stable, with everything you need coming your way. Charge that soil with that intent and put it in the center of the swatch, or into the pouch.
- Take the hair and/or nail clippings; envision yourself and your state of mind as a financially secure person blessed with success and abundance. Put them on the soil.
- Take the corn and hold the kernels;. consider the strength you have within you to provide for yourself. Charge the kernels and put them on the soil.
- Take the beans; consider your ability to be prudent and make wise choices with your resources. Charge them and place them on the soil.
- Take the seeds; consider how you make use of your opportunities and cover all your bases to promote prosperity. Charge and place on the soil.
- Close your pouch. If you’re using a swatch of fabric, gather up the ends and use the ribbon to tie it closed. Hold your hands above your bag, ask for blessings and charge it with your intent for a prosperous year. Keep the pouch with you at all times—either in a pocket or wearing it around your neck—while you’re working.
This Spell was Inspired By...
Interesting Little Tidbit
The corn, bean and squash plants were known to some Native American tribes as the ‘Three Sisters’. They were always planted together. The corn provided a strong, stable support for the bean plant. The bean plant does not require many nutrients from the soil because it makes it's own nitrogen, leaving the bulk of nutrients for the corn and squash. The squash bush would spread out and cover the ground, making it difficult for competing weeds to take root and grow. The three plants would work together to bring forth a balanced diet. It was in this way a person could make the absolute most of his planting space, and reap the most benefits from his efforts.
While this spell is in no way Native American, the idea was inspired by the Three Sister’s crops.
Are Samain and Halloween the Same Thing?
Not exactly—learn the history of these 'twin holidays' in this article:
© 2013 Mackenzie Sage Wright