5 Easy Spells for the Beginner Witch: Protection, Love, Success, Healing, and Intuition
Spellcasting—Why So Difficult?
New to the craft? Maybe you want to try a spell but don't know where to start? Spellcasting can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be. It can be simple or complex. It can be mental or emotional or both. It can also be physical and spiritual. It can include as many or as little ingredients and tools as you'd like. The options are endless and are all up to you. You can find many spells for free online or you can write your own.
What is a spell, exactly? A spell is similar to a prayer, but with focused intention and harnessed energy. Spells can be used for personal gain, as we are in control of our own lives and where we go in life. They should not be used to gain control over others, however. But ultimately morals are at the behest of the spellcaster, and so the individual will deal with the consequences.
For those who feel the need to have a spell already written for you, and one that is easy to follow and perform, check out the five easy spells below to help get you started. Feel free to use any or all of them and tailor them to your needs!
Protection Spell: Circle of Salt
One of the easiest and most useful spells is one for protection. I call this the circle of protection, and it is also helpful in learning how to formally "cast a circle" before any spells, rituals or workings of any kind. This spell works to protect your home and everyone in it from spiritual or even physical invasion (but to be safe from physical threats, don't forget to lock up and use an alarm if necessary!) It also works to diffuse negative energies from entering your space.
Here's what you'll need:
- Full Moon
- When you have your salt ready, go outside of your home preferably on a Full Moon, and start at your front door.
- Move in a clockwise motion (we call this deosil), from your front door around your house, and slowly sprinkle salt around the perimeter of your home. Take care not to pour salt on any ornamental plants and avoid grass as much as possible.
- While you are doing this, state out loud "pure salt protect this home and all who reside here. Keep out those who seek to harm, protect us from negativity, anger, and fear." You'll also want to actively visualize a circle of protection around your home as you do this.
- Repeat this phrase and continue to circle the house in salt until you end up where you started - at the front door.
- Next, say out loud "this house is protected from negative energies and forces. So mote it be."
Love Spell: Herbal Bath of Love
What do most people crave most in their lives? LOVE. Some people are so desperate that they'll come to witchcraft just so they can learn how to do a love spell. This is not the best of intentions to cast a spell, as often these types can backfire in a way the caster doesn't expect or even want! However, if you are new to the craft and simply want to be able to draw love into your life (rather than cast a spell over an individual who is unexpecting and unwilling), try this easy and relaxing (and moral) love spell.
What you'll need:
- a quiet and undisturbed time
- Lavender and/or rose petals
- candle(s) and candle holder/plate
- relaxing music (helpful but not required)
- Set the mood by drawing a hot bath and adding a bit of the herbs of your choice directly to the bath or inside of a bath sachet. Light a candle and set in a safe place. Turn on relaxing music.
- Enter the bathtub and lay back. Breathe deeply and slowly. Visualize all of your worries and cares melting off of you.
- Let the music and the bath be the only two things that concern you in this moment.
- When you're ready, visualize a sphere of white light encircling you in the tub. This is your cast circle. At this point, you can also invite your goddess into the circle.
- Next, visualize the type of love you are looking for in your life. Visualize yourself laughing and playing and flirting with your dream man or woman.
- Once you've held the vision of your dream love in your head for a few minutes, say these words or similar: "I draw to me a pure and sweet love. One that will benefit me and my soul's journey. To the benefit of all and to harm none."
- Repeat this phrase at least 3 times but up to thirteen times. When complete, state "so mote it be."
- You may stay in the bath as long as you'd like. Release the circle when you are ready by visualizing the sphere fading and the energy from within moving into space to perform the work that is required to draw love to you.
- After your herbal bath of love, continue to intermittently visualize your dream love's image and tell yourself and the universe "I am worthy and ready for a pure and true love in my life."
With the herbal bath of love - by drawing a bath that is purifying and soothing, you are also figuratively drawing a pure and therapeutic love into your life.— Nicole Canfield
Success Spell: Candle of Power
Looking for a little more success in an area of your life? Time to try a little success magick through the use of a simple and effective candle spell. Candle spells are one of the most popular kinds of spells because they are diverse and not fussy. You can easily personalize a candle spell by using various candle colors, sizes, shapes; also by carving or painting special symbols on the candle; and by dressing the candle in special oils and herbs of your choice. Try this Candle of Power spell and watch your success increase!
What You'll Need:
- yellow votive candle
- candle holder or plate
- matches or lighter
- a knife or pin (for carving)
- New, Waxing, or Full Moon
- Gather your ingredients.
- Cast a circle (you can google how to easily do this if you don't know how, or see the herbal bath of love spell above - step #4).
- Using your pin or knife, carefully carve a symbol of success onto the sides of your candle. This can be the money sign, a rune of your choice (research online ahead of time), or any type of symbol you feel represents success.
- Light your candle.
- Focus on the flame of the candle. Visualize yourself with success in whatever arena of life you desire. See yourself with your mind's eye in this successful position. Believe it.
- Watch the flame dance and flicker for as long as you'd like.
- Release your circle, but allow the candle to continue burning until it has burned itself out (be sure to stay in the room with the candle so it doesn't light anything on fire. Safety first!)
- Once the candle is burned out and the wax has cooled, keep the wax in a bag or container of some kind in a safe place.
- After your spell and as often as you remember, tell yourself and the universe "I am successful. I am worthy. I am powerful."
Health Spell: Healing Hands
For this spell, you are focusing on your health and wellbeing by tapping into the Universe's healing powers. There are many versions of this kind of healing practice all over the world, one you may have heard of is reiki (a Japanese technique for relaxation and stress reduction also used to promote healing). This is a spell that requires no tools and little steps. BUT it is just as effective as any other.
What You'll Need:
- an open heart and mind
- your hands
- Clear your mind from worries and concerns. Ask that ONLY the highest beings of the universe aid you in this process.
- Place both of your hands on your head, chest, stomach or wherever you feel called to place them.
- Imagine the pure, loving energy of the Universe entering your crown chakra and flowing through your body and down through your arms and into your hands.
- Then visualize the energy flowing freely from your hands and into your body where you need healing most.
- Allow the energy to flow for as long as you feel is necessary.
No circle needs to be cast for this process and you can use it any time! This is similar to reiki and other healing hands practices used the world over. Think about it like this, what is the first thing we do when we have an injury somewhere on our body? We grab for it with our hands! Ever wonder why that is? It is possible we do this because of an unconscious awareness that our hands can provide healing energy.
A direct line of communication with the Universe occurs in our dreams.— Nicole Canfield
Intuition Spell: Increase My Dreams Sachet
Many people would like to increase their intuition and open their third eye. One way of doing this is by increasing the amount and quality of the dreams you are having at night. Some say a direct line of communication with the Universe/Spirit occurs in our dreams, as well as the ability for us to travel to other planes of existence and tap into our akashic records. This spell will serve to increase your amount of dreams, as well as the quality of the dreams you are having.
What You'll Need:
- a small muslin or cotton bag with drawstring (you can create your own with a square piece of fabric and string/yarn if you don't have a bag)
- loose-leaf dry herbs: mugwort, wormwood, lavender, and rosemary (if you only have access to one of these, use mugwort)
- a journal or notebook to write down your dreams
- Gather your ingredients.
- Cast your circle.
- Open your small bag and place a pinch of mugwort into the bag. While doing this, state these words or some similar: "with these herbs, I increase my dreams and therefore my intuition. I open my third eye."
- Repeat step 3 for each herb you place into your dream bag.
- Tie up the bag and hold it in the palms of your hands. Close your eyes and imagine your third eye opening.
- When you feel it is time, state "so mote it be".
- Release your circle.
- Place this dream sachet beneath your pillow, in your pillowcase, or under your mattress beneath where your head lays.
- When your dreams start coming freely, write them down in your journal. This helps in dream recall and will give you a reference to study later.
Why Didn't My Spell Work?
There are many reasons why your spell might not manifest. The first thing you need to do is think about what state of mind you were in while you cast the spell. If your emotions or state of mind didn't match your intentions, this could be one reason why your spell didn't come to fruition. For example, if you were casting a spell for drawing love into your life but you were obsessing over an ex-lover, you might have mentally blocked the spell from manifesting. Your vibrations didn't match your intention.
Second, you need to think about whether you raised enough energy for the spell to manifest. What I mean by this is, did you visualize and focus on your intention during the spell or were you lazy? For instance, performing the Candle of Power spell without ever visualizing yourself as successful could lead to absolutely nothing happening in your life. By raising energy using your visualization abilities, thinking hard about what you want, and also performing each task with intention, your spell will manifest easier than if you put low energy and thought into it.
Last but not least, if you're not putting the effort into your daily life, on a physical level, your spell will not come to fruition. This means if you're casting a spell for success, but you're not actually getting off the couch, the universe will not grant your request. You've cast a spell on the spiritual plane, but you must follow up with your intentions on the physical plane. Reciprocation is key.
Questions & Answers
Are you able to become a witch or do you have to be born into it?
I wrote an entire article on this titled "Are You Born a Witch Or Do You Become a Witch?" You can find it on my profile or by googling it. But, I believe once a witch, always a witch. Meaning, if you were a witch in a past life, you will be a witch in future lives. So yes, in a sense, you are born a witch. But you have to cultivate that wisdom by study and practice.
How does one summon fire?
If you're talking about calling in the elements during a circle-casting, you simply call the element of fire to your workings with a poem or statement. You can find these online, in books, or write your own. Otherwise, use a match or a lighter.
Can I use the protection spell in a smaller area; like just a kitchen or living room? Also, if I do, do I have to be outside to do this spell?
You can absolutely do the protection spell on a particular room. No, you don't have to be outside to do the spell. You can improvise.
How can I make someone stay with me and never leave me?
First of all, there's something called free will. Do you really want to mess with the universe's law of free will? Second, ask yourself why you would want someone to love you and stay with you if they don't truly want that. There are many fish in the sea, and this person is obviously not the person for you if they don't want to be with you. Try letting this person go and work on loving yourself.
How do I bring my husband home from jail?
You can do a liberating spell. It would be best to write it on your own. Use some sort of cuffs or chain link and break during the spell as representation. Use herbs, stones or other objects that correspond to "liberation" "freedom" etc. Google these items online.
© 2017 Nicole Canfield