Finding and Working With Your Human or Animal Spirit Guide
Human and Animal Spirit Guides Defined
Spirit guides are non-physical entities existing in spirit and vibrational energies. While we may have guides who materialize into human form or animal form to help us along sometimes, our spirit guides are usually not seen in physical, touchable form or as a material being. Even while not seen most of the time, we will be able to acknowledge their presence simply feeling their energies around us.
Some Spirit Guides
How Do I Contact My Spirit Guides?
Usually we contact them through clairvoyance (seeing), clairaudience (hearing), or clairsentinence (feeling). Some spirits will show themselves to us visually if we are able to see them...some may reach us through touching us, our hair, arm, neck, etc...chills, hair standing on end, etc. And some may speak or sing to us, as well as other ways to contact us. The main thing to remember is that they WANT to contact us, they have chosen to help us in this lifetime.
Why Are Guides Here?
Spirit guides, whatever form chooses to be with you, are here to help guide you on your life path. Guides help us with our growth and development. They also help sometimes when we don't feel like we are progressing fast enough it's important to know that we are not alone. For those of us who have chosen to learn and grow spiritually, the guides are here to assist us with our lessons. Chances are you will encounter several guides over the course of your life.
Guides will take various forms that will mean the most to us at any given time. If you're religious your guide may manifest as an angel or a deity of some type, a saint, etc...if you are an animal lover, your guide may manifest in animal form...if you believe in faeries, you will probably have a faerie guide...and so on. If you are lucky enough to work with many different entities and forms, consider yourself blessed and open to experiences they will bring you.
Can Your Guide Be A Guide for Another Person?
Yes...in fact, most guides work with more than one person. There has been many instances where people have shared guides to teach and learn a lesson. That's just one example.
Summoning A Spirit Guide Using A Shamanic Drum
Will My Guide Scare Me?
It's possible the experience itself may frighten you, but your spirit guides never intend to scare you or upset you. Remember that they are here to work WITH you and FOR you. You don't work for them, they are here to work for you. You always have free will as to whether you follow their guidance or not! You have to find your own way with this...that's the only way it will make sense to you and speak truth for you.
Your guide may first come to you gradually so as not to frighten you. Speaking for myself, when I first did a meditation to meet my guardian angel, first I saw his head and face...then gradually his body began to fill in, but it didn't happen at once for me. It took more than one meditation exercise to see full body. Even the first time I met my first two guides in a class, they both came to me only head and shoulders until I was ready to see them fully. So don't be surprised if that happens with you, and don't be frustrated by it. Chances are your guides will know and understand what may make you nervous while doing this work.
Something similar may happen if you see animal guides...some people wonder why others will see wolves or mountain lions, "big" animals...while they may see a domestic cat or dog at first. Your guides will show themselves to you in whatever form you'll be able to accept without fear. So if a domestic cat comes to you that's how they choose to show at that time...plus each animal totem specifically has a meaning, just as many other guides do.
The point is it could take days...weeks...months for your guide or guides to manifest to you. If you're impatient like me, you'll get annoyed now and then. Try to remember that if there's a delay in getting the desired result there must be a reason for it...and then it's time for you to slow down and try to figure out that part of the lesson before going forward again.
Animal Spirit Guides
Does My Guide Have a Name?
Guides will usually have a name if you want them to, but they don't need a name to communicate with you. Guides will usually say they don't care what we call them -- as long as we call them:) I remember one time watching a talk show on TV a few years ago when a famous psychic was telling people in the audience who their guardian angels were by name...I thought that was so odd because I had always been taught that guides usually keep that info personal between us and them. So, I guess this is one of those points where you will believe what you want...maybe yours has a name, maybe it doesn't, maybe it will tell someone other than you...but no matter what happens or how it happens, listen with your heart and not with your head. Your heart will speak truth and help you with your guide experiences.
Some Wonderful Mediation Sounds
Spirit Guide Meditation Visualization
A Sample Meditation and Visualization Technique For Spirit Guides
Here is a sample that can be adapted by you for your own personal tastes and what resonates with your heart while attempting to work with your spirit guides.
The main thing to remember before starting this is that your guides are here to HELP you...they don't want to frighten you or make you do things you don't want to do. You need to go into this with an open mind, an open heart and feel that you are protected by God/Higher Power.
It's best to read thru this a few times until you are comfortable with it and how it flows, rather than just sitting down and reading this and try to make it happen while in front of the computer. You may even want to print this out so you can have it with you when you find a comfortable place to practice this. When you feel that you understand the meditation, then give it a try:)
You may want to light a white candle of protection, or a pink candle of love to make you feel better/safer. You may also want to try this using music or sound effects. Some people like to meditate with the sound of waves or birds chirping, rain, etc...and others like to use meditation music CDs that are available in new age sections of a music store. The idea is to use something that will allow you to relax totally...not be distracted by the outside world...and allow you to go with the flow.
Remember also that sometimes the meditation won't work right away - could be a number of reasons. Sometimes I fall asleep when I want to meditate...used to make me so mad and then I realized that my body is doing what it needs to at that time. So if you fall asleep, don't worry about it. Just try again another time. You'll meet your guide(s) when you are supposed to, in your own time. There is no right or wrong with this.
Another thing you may want to do is once you get this working for you, try to make an "appointment" to meet your guides once a week if time allows, or twice a month, etc. Try to keep the appointment on the same day at the same time. Spirit does like to work that way:)
- Sit or lie down in a comfortable position, try to keep your back as straight as possible.
- Start with a prayer, anything you like really...whatever makes you comfortable. It could be the Our Father, it could be a simple "Dear God/Goddess/Higher Power...thank you for this time with my spirit guide and for protecting me with love and light. Please allow me to be a good channel for communication with spirit."
- Try to keep your mind as clear as possible of any outside thoughts. Breathe in deeply....exhale...try to hold your breaths for a count of 8 each time. Continue to breathe deeply until you feel relaxed and ready and centered. *If you find that you are not able to slow your thoughts down or keep outside distractions away, then you should stop and try another time*.
- Allow your thoughts to take you to a special place...it could be a beach along the ocean, a mountain side, a meadow, under a tree, your own room...wherever feels relaxing to you. Feel yourself there. If you choose the beach, allow yourself to feel the sand between your toes and smell the ocean. If you're near a stream, put your feet in the water and feel the cleansing cold. If under a tree, imagine birds chirping nearby if you want to...feel a breeze...(you get the idea!)
- Once you feel that you are in that place and you feel comfortable, aware of your surroundings...look around you and see if you see anything or anyone. Look in each direction...maybe an animal has appeared...maybe a person has appeared...a bird, mythological creature...take note of the location you see this entity, what part of your landscape it appears. Also, if you see a flower or flowers, take note of the kind and color, whether you can smell it, etc.
- If you see something or someone, ask them if they are your guide. They may nod, they may speak, they may get lighter like a glow...if they give you an affirmation, thank them for appearing to you. If for some reason, you get a negative reply or no reply, ask them to leave. Your guide will be happy to give you a yes. If you feel comfortable enough to converse with them, ask a question of them and note the response. You may feel ready to have a lengthy visit, or you may want to leave quickly if you are unsure. That is entirely up to you. Your guide will respect your wishes, whether to stay or go. *If you ever feel something that does not feel positive or right for you then it is probably not your guide...and don't feel bad about asking them to leave.*
- If you were able to see someone or something, remember what you saw and take note of details...what did it look like? Did it smell of a fragrance? Was it wearing clothes? Were the clothes from a specific time period? Was it an animal? What kind and color? Did they speak to you? What did they say? Did they give you anything - what was it?
- The first time you try this you probably should try to limit your visit to a few minutes. You can extend the visits longer once you are comfortable with your guides and the whole process.
- When you feel it is time to leave, or the guide tells you it is time to go...allow yourself to come back to your body in present time and space. Picture yourself back where you started the meditation and breathe again...count to 8...some people like to count backwards from 10 to come out of a meditation. Others are able to just come out of it. You will find whatever works best for you.
- Once you are back, thank your guide(s) for appearing. Thank God/Higher Power for allowing you a positive experience and for guiding you thru it. Say any closing prayer you may want to say at this time.