How to Make Your Own Ouija Board
So You Want to Contact the Spirits?
Like the Voodoo doll, the Ouija board has endured a bad rap with Hollywood and the media. It doesn't help that many self-proclaimed spiritualists have perpetuated the negative association by using it as a prop, and its use by fakers calls into question any claim to use a Ouija board as an authentic way to communicate with spirits.
Any attempt to communicate with the dead or other spirits should be taken seriously, however, and should not be undertaken by the inexperienced.
But if you are one of the brave ones ready to embark on a mystical adventure, fasten your seat belt. Making a basic Ouija board is a relatively simple task. It can be made out of literally any material—scrap wood, cardboard, whatever your flavor, anything goes. Read on, because I am about to tell you how to make your very own Ouija board.
How to Make a Homemade Ouija Board
- Start by writing or printing out all of the letters in the alphabet, making sure that the characters are large enough to read. Also write or print out numbers from 0-9 and symbols or buttons showing the words "Yes," "No," and "Goodbye." These words make communicating with the spirits easier. You can add any other phrases you wish. Use the pictures of Ouija boards on this page to get ideas.
- Cut out the characters, numbers, words, and phrases.
- Arrange the letters in one or two rows on your base.
- Below the letters, arrange the numbers 0-9.
- Place the "Yes," "No," and "Goodbye" symbols somewhere on your board.
- Adhere them with glue to the paper according to your desired layout.
Viola! You are ready to have your first talking board séance!
You Will Need:
- A pair of scissors
- A piece of cardboard or wood that is approximately 18 x 20 inches. You can make it slightly larger or smaller, but this is a good size to start with. You'll use this as your base.
- A pen or a marker
- A glass, a coin, or a planchette (pointer) of some kind
The Ouija Board Pointer: What Is the Planchette?
- A planchette is a triangular or heart-shaped piece of wood (now they use plastic) supported by castors to help it move to spell out messages or answer questions. Users rest their fingertips on the planchette, and it is moved around the board in response to questions posed.
- You will need a planchette to go with your Ouija board. You can use a dish, a coin, or a small glass turned upside down as your planchette.
- Used since the beginning of the Spiritualism movement of the mid-nineteenth century, planchettes predate the invention of spirit boards.
- Although all the participants must be touching the planchette, paranormal advocates believe that it is moved by some extra-normal force.
- Planchettes don't have to look a specific way. You can use kind of pointing device.
Ouija Board Designs
The Ouija board you make can be as basic or complex in design as you want. I suggest taking a look at lots of examples to get some ideas for layouts and designs, look at all the photos included here, and then come up with something original that reflects you.
(The Museum of Talking Boards is an incredible site about talking boards of all kinds; I highly recommend you check it out if you haven't already.)
TIP: To make your Ouija board using some of traditional-style letters, visit Harold's Fonts for some free downloads. Three Ouija fonts that are available are Cap'n Howdy, Mystick Prophet, and Sideshow. You certainly don't have to limit yourself to these three, however, as there are hundreds to choose from.
Ouija Board Link List
- Ouija board
Asserts that the movement of the planchette is not due to paranormal forces but to unnoticeable movements by those controlling the pointer.
- BrainJar.com: Ouija Board
Electronic Ouija board: ask your question, then hold your mouse lightly on the pointer and follow it as your answer is revealed.
- Ouija Board
Learn the history and the power behind this game. Is it real, dangerous, or just fun? Discover the truth.
Is the Ouija Board Dangerous?
The board itself is not dangerous, but the communication that you are attempting often is. Most often, the spirits who are contacted through the Ouija are those who reside on the lower astral plane. These spirits are often very confused and may have died a violent or sudden death; murder, suicide, etc. Therefore, anyone using the board may be affected by the violent, negative, or confused spirits.
What You Need to Know Before You Use a Ouija Board
- Often, several spirits will attempt to come through at the same time.
- The real danger lies when you ask for physical proof of their existence! You might say, "Well, if you really are a spirit, then put out this light or move that object!" What you have just done is opened a doorway between the physical and spiritual world and allowed them to enter. As a result, future problems can and often do arise.
- The best indicator as to whether or not using a channeling board of any kind is a good thing to do is your intuition. If it doesn't feel right to you, don't use it. It's that simple.
Any attempts to communicate with the dead or other spirits should not be taken lightly, however, and should not be undertaken by the inexperienced.
Other Names for "Ouija Board"
- Witch board: The witch persecutions were a reaction to a superstition about witches and communicating with spirits.
- Spirit board: It is believed spirits can be contacted and communicated with by using the talking board.
- Oracle board: Some users claim to have special powers to be able to interpret messages using a talking board.
- Mystic board: Mystics are believed to have direct contact with the spirit world and have special intuitive powers. It is believed that a Mystic board can contribute to their knowledge of unseen things.
- Devil board: A term used mostly in Christian circles who believe the only spirit that can be reached with a talking board is the Devil, and any other "friendly" spirit is just the Devil impersonating loved ones and other "friendly" spirits who have passed.
- Channeling board: It is believed the talking board will assist in channeling spirits and communicating with them.
- Talking board: Refers to any of the board-like devices used to communicate with the spirit world.
Questions & Answers
I am using a Ouija board for the first time. Can I use it with my 7-year-old brother?
No, you should only use it if you are 18 or older, unless guided by enlightened parents. That's how people get in trouble, using it without proper protection and protocol.Helpful 12
© 2008 Denise M Alvarado