Katharine has been interested in the occult and the supernatural ever since she experienced a haunting in her childhood.
What Is Extra-Sensory Perception?
ESP, or extra-sensory perception, is a well-known phenomenon. We have all heard the stories of people who can touch an object and tell you something about its owner. We also know that some people are able to reach out to others via unknown channels, such as when they concentrate on someone they haven't heard from in years, and that person suddenly calls them. There are even people who claim to be able to move objects with their minds, a phenomenon known as telekinesis.
Most people assume these are "gifts" that you either have or don't have. Few realize that, in fact, most people have some ESP ability, and it is something that can be improved and developed! Here are some exercises you can do to begin to build your extra-sensory perception, or ESP, in the area of reading objects.
If you'd like to one day be able to hold an object and tell something about its owner, this is a good beginning exercise to start sharpening your abilities.
The Card Practice Method
There are decks of cards made specifically for working on improving ESP skills. These specialized decks are called Zener Cards or ESP Cards and feature shapes on plain backgrounds. These are fine to use, but you don't need to purchase anything special to hone your own ESP skills! Follow these steps to begin.
Phase One: Begin With Regular Playing Cards
- Take an ordinary deck of cards . . . make sure it is a full deck! The first thing you're going to do is quite simple. With the deck face down on the table, lift one card and place it, still face down, on the table. Hover your hand over it. Now, your task this first time is just to tell if it is a red card or a black card, without looking at it. Your odds are 50/50 for any given card, so your goal with this practice is to raise that percentage as you get better at distinguishing the colors from one another.
- Close your eyes and concentrate on the card. Take it in the palm of your hand. Lay your other hand gently on top of the card. Notice how it feels to hold it, what thoughts go through your mind as you hold it, what your mood or feeling is when you hold it; whether it feels warm or cold, heavy or light. Make a guess and flip the card over. If you were correct, put it in the "correct" pile to your right and go to the next card. If you were wrong, place the card in the "wrong" pile to your left.
- You're going to count up the number of cards you put in the correct pile and write it down so you can keep track of your progress. The more you practice, the better you will get.
What Can You Perceive?
As you repeat this process through the entire deck of cards (52 cards), you will begin to notice, if you're really concentrating, that the red cards "feel" slightly different in some way than the black ones. Everyone is unique in how this difference is experienced. Some report that the red cards feel warmer than the black, others say that black cards are slightly heavier. Some people get a certain emotional charge from one color that they don't from the other. You might even notice the top of the card feeling smoother with one particular color. Still other people close their eyes and are able to "see" the correct color. Whatever it is, try to recognize it in every card that you pick up. If you do this a few times, you'll notice rather quickly that you are getting more than 50% correct, meaning you are beating the natural odds. If you keep doing it, you'll soon be getting an even higher percentage, perhaps 75 or 80 percent.
When you are pretty good at this, go on to phase two.
Phase Two: Increasing Your Perception
- Take out all the face cards leaving only the number cards. This time you're going to try to "feel" the suit. The same principle applies to each phase of this exercise. Try to develop a "feel" for each suit as you go along. You'll be getting your clues for the color, so that should narrow it down to two possibilities. From there, pay attention to any difference you feel when holding each suit in your hand. As before, place the cards in the "correct" and "incorrect" piles.
- Next step is to begin predicting numbers. If you're doing well, you can try to predict suit and number. If you're struggling to make progress, just focus on the numbers for now. Some people seem to have a knack for predicting numbers, so if you're good at this you can add the suit later. Leave the face cards out. Many people seem to be confused by the face cards for reasons unknown. You can add them back in when your skills have advanced.
- Go through your deck at least twice a day, at least five days a week. You will soon notice that your "correct" piles are growing. The more you practice, the better you will get. This practice with the cards is excellent basic training for learning to "read" objects later.
Important Note: Having a new pack of playing cards is recommended, especially if you are already mildly psychic or intuitive. A well-used pack may carry "vibrations" or extra-sensory information from those who have used them, from where they've been stored, the home they come from, etc. A shiny, new pack will have less "baggage" attached to it so that your perceptions will be focused only on the cards' colors and numbers.
The video demonstrates the methods we've detailed along with some good tips for ways to perceive the colors and numbers. Remember, everyone is different. You have to figure out which subtle extra-sensory signals help you to name the correct card.
Develop Your ESP Using Playing Cards
Phase One: Reading Objects
- Have two friends each place an object that belongs to them on a table while your back is turned. These should be ordinary objects not easily tied to either person, For example, a hair clip wouldn't be good if only one of the two friends wears hair clips. Objects like a pen, a toothbrush, or a knick-knack are all good choices. (HINT: Do not use coins! You may get "information" from anyone who has had that coin recently.)
- Let your hand hover over each object as you did with the cards. Do you get any feeling from it? Then pick each object up, one at a time and close your eyes. Do you "see" anything? Does the object have a "mood" to it, such as light and airy like one friend or serious like the other? Take your time to gather as many minute perceptions as you can, handling one item at a time and noting differences. Then tell your friends which item you think belongs to each of them. If you're wrong, don't worry! Keep practicing and you will improve.
- Next ask two friends or family members to give you three items each that belong to them, mixed up in a zip lock bag with their two names written on the bag. Lift each item out, handle it, concentrate with eyes closed, take your time. Place each item in pile one or pile two, a pile for each person. How close do you come? Record the number of items you got right and keep score. If you don't feel you are making progress, go back to the cards exercises for a while. You must have patience and perseverance to see success!
Phase Two: Objects From Strangers
- Ask a friend to give you an object from someone they know, but who you do not know. This time, put into words what it is you perceive from the item. It may be difficult at first to translate what you are sensing into words.
- Speak out loud as the sensations, thoughts, impressions come to you. Maybe you "see" something when you close your eyes; a blue car or a spotted dog might be related to who this person is. Perhaps you sense the nature of the person, such as an anxious person, a generous person, a disorganized person. Say all this aloud as your friend listens without reacting.
- When you think you've mentioned all that you can glean from the object, ask the friend how close you came.
There are many possible ways you, as an individual, might receive extra-sensory information from an object. Your job in all these exercises is to learn what works for you, and that takes practice. Remember, if you're feeling unsuccessful, go back to your cards for a while. As with anything else, the more you do it, the better you will get. If you go for a few weeks without trying it, you'll notice you are not as sharp.
Some people are able to gain information about a person's sex, age, name, home, personality, career, even their current location or emotional state just from feeling an object that belongs to them. You can too, with dedication and practice! Stay tuned for further articles on how to sharpen additional ESP skills! And . . . keep practicing!
*Don't forget to answer the poll below!
How Psychic Are You?
© 2012 Katharine L Sparrow
Katharine L Sparrow (author) from Massachusetts, USA on September 19, 2014:
Thank-you aerospacefan! There will be more hubs on improving your ESP coming in the next few months!
John Lannoye from Chicago on September 19, 2014:
Interesting hub with some useful information on ESP. You know your stuff!
Poon Poi Ming from Malaysia on May 17, 2013:
QUOTE: "We have all heard the stories of people who can touch an object and tell you something about its owner. "
Yes, I have seen that being done too, but only once. And I thought it was simply amazing. I didn't know it is very common. We had a temple medium to come to our factory because the operators were seeing ghosts at night. This medium came to the office to look at the feng shui. There was one staff who was out, and the medium described the character of this stuff very accurately, while holding onto his empty chair.
Katharine L Sparrow (author) from Massachusetts, USA on May 29, 2012:
Good luck, Angela! Just stick with it, and you'll see improvement.
Angela Brummer from Lincoln, Nebraska on May 29, 2012:
I am so going to try this!!!
Cathy from Louisiana, Idaho, Kauai, Nebraska, South Dakota, Missouri on May 27, 2012:
Interesting hub. I certainly believe one has the ability to tap into their subconscious mind. I've always had a heightened level of awareness and have always believed it can stretch more. It's like having a third eye. The answers to so many questions lay inside of us, we just have to know how and where to look. Thanks for your hub.
Katharine L Sparrow (author) from Massachusetts, USA on May 17, 2012:
Great idea, perspycacious! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Demas W Jasper from Today's America and The World Beyond on May 16, 2012:
Also try this simple one: someone looks at a coin and concentrates on whether they are looking at a "heads" or a "tails" and you read their mind and identify which they are seeing. It is still a 50/50 but good mental telepathists can do much better.
Ibis Suau from Florida on May 08, 2012:
Excellent hub, In my family we always had some type of psychic ability. Mine is premonitory dreams, but after reading this hub, I will try to expand those abilities. You are right. Everything around us vibrates, including us. We can learn how to read and interpret those unique patterns. Thanks so much, I am going to give it a try.
Joanna McKenna from Central Oklahoma on May 01, 2012:
I've been psychic most of my life as far as communicating with certain relatives, "knowing" things will happen before they do or where a missing item can be found. That sort of thing. I've never had an interest in reading objects other than a natural ability to get "good" or "bad" vibes off of one, but curiosity makes me want to try this. Thanks for sharing!
Voted up and awesome! ;D
Deb Hirt from Stillwater, OK on April 30, 2012:
This is pretty interesting. I am curious and will probably try it soon enough.
Karthik Kashyap from India on April 29, 2012:
Nice hub :) I know I have psychic abilities and I have seen evidence. At certain point, I was quite good at the playing cards experiment. I was good at reading cards without seeing it and I used to succeed almost 6-7 out of 10 times. I could also predict quite accurately who would win the card game (and yes, people around me used to get freaked out at times) I also had practised telepathy to a certain extent. But that was a long time ago. I used to practise a specific kind of yoga called Sahaja Yoga which has the potential to build our ESP powers.
The secret to develop ESP is to tap our subconscious mind which is far more powerful than our conscious mind. It is said that the subconscious mind can be trained to resonate with the frequency of the universe and when that level is reached, we automatically start developing our ESP abilities. Just thought of sharing :) Voted up..