Skip to main content

Haunted Prop Phone Keeps Ringing While Unplugged

Time to re-donate.

This woman bought an old landline phone from an estate sale, intending to use it as a prop. Both her and her dog were surprised to discover it rings even though it’s not plugged in to anything!


She explains she bought the phone home and didn’t think about it again until she was working and it would just keep ringing. She shows the phone as not connected to anything, not to the wall, not the receiver to the cradle - nothing. Then the phone rings again.

Electronics are frequently the receivers of suspected contact from ghosts. Phones along with lights, computers, and televisions all have been reported to behave unexpectedly due to paranormal presences. 

Most claims of how the dead communicate with the mortal realm are more subtle featuring unexplained scents wafting through a room or sounds on a recording that weren’t heard while making the recording. Direct and observable signs of haunting or possessed objects is more usually associated with negative or angry presences, although this ringing phone seems more playful than sinister! 

Could the phone be cursed? Not all cursed objects are ancient, or even old. There are reports of a cursed Elmo doll that threatens to kill its owner instead of the programmed laughter the manufacturer intended. 

The objects of older curses often focus on the return of the item to its proper ownership, such as the misnomered Delhi Purple Sapphire which was mistakenly identified as a sapphire but is actually a beautiful cut of amethyst. This gemstone is historically attributed to a British raid of India in which a temple of Indra (god of war and thunderstorms) was looted. The curse began immediately upon the thief’s return to England. Suspected supernatural activity is still reported to this day when the stone is transported, one such incident was a thunderstorm so severe the transporter barely escaped serious injury. Despite this dangerous history, the Gem of Sorrow as it is sometimes called remains in the custody of the Natural History Museum.