Spiritual Awakening and Characteristics of a Spiritually Awakened Person
An individual encounters many ups and downs during a spiritual journey. The journey is marked with periods of fast growth and other periods when movement towards the goal is much slower.
We typically remain body-conscious most of the time, even when we have begun the spiritual journey. With our best efforts, we can remain soul-conscious for short periods of time. But gradually, with practice, we can remain soul-conscious for longer and longer periods. The process of transition from body consciousness to soul consciousness may be slow for some and faster for others.
When a person, practicing spirituality, acquires a mental state in which they remain totally soul-conscious, then that person is said to have experienced "spiritual awakening." Therefore, spiritual awakening refers to a dynamic shift in consciousness and an appreciation of reality that had previously been unrealized.
Such a realization is in recognition of oneness with all of existence. One gets a core message after realizing that the absolute truth is beyond all concepts and beliefs of mankind. Underneath all apparent differences lies a fundamental oneness.
All forms in existence arise from pure potentiality. The sages referred to this as Emptiness, the Tao, Brahman, Allah, or God; while science may refer to it the zero-point field or field of potential.
A spiritually awakened person no longer identifies with the body while living in the body and performing all its functions and activities. He or she has lost all sense of “I, me and mine.” His or her ego has dissolved completely. Such a person experiences no duality, i.e., happiness or unhappiness, pleasure or pain, gain or loss and recognition or de-recognition; which means that the person is equipoise in all diverse situations. Despite experiencing emotions, he or she is not affected by them since the person is filled with love, kindness and compassion for all humanity.
A spiritually awakened individual never stops evolving spiritually since spiritual growth is a lifelong process. According to the Apostle Paul, spiritual growth is an ongoing process that will never end in this life.
Spiritual awakening refers to a dynamic shift in consciousness and an appreciation of reality that had previously been unrealized.
How Do I Become Spiritually Awakened?
Spiritual awakening has prerequisites a person must fulfill faithfully, which include the regular study of religious and spiritual scriptures and the implementation of those principles in daily life. The implementation of these principles in one’s life is more important because without it no spiritual awakening will occur.
Spiritual awakening is a time-consuming process, and that is why many aspirants give it up. To achieve it, the aspirant must steadfastly follow spiritual principles. One must strive hard to continue growing spiritually even if one has been successful in achieving spiritual awakening. Below are some of the skills that must be developed in the process of spiritual awakening.
The daily observance of silence over a period of time will give us mental strength to reduce the number of thoughts produced by the mind. The more we speak, the more thoughts we create in our dialogues. If we speak less, we will create less of inner dialogue, which is expressed as our dialogue with others.
When there is less inner dialogue, there is more inner silence, which is a prerequisite to communing with the cosmic silence of the super-consciousness. To attain divine qualities, one has to have communion with super-consciousness, which will fortify one’s consciousness.
Initially, one can observe shorter periods of silence, which can be gradually increased depending upon one’s progress. When one becomes quite adept at observing such periods of silence, then one can have much more extended periods for hours and days.
We are mostly judging people, things, events or situations in comparison to the standard benchmarks that are firmly established in our sub-conscious mind as a result of our past experiences and conditioning. Due to these comparisons, there is a lot of internal dialogue in our minds, which is expressed as views, opinions and perspectives.
This causes a lot of stress and unhappiness in us when what we judge does not measure up well to our benchmarks. If we stop being intentionally judgmental, we will be able to reduce the internal dialogue in our minds. And, therefore, we can create inner silence by not being judgmental, which will, in turn, reduce our stress. When we develop inner silence, we communicate with the cosmic silence to derive divine qualities from the super-conscious realm.
Give and Receive
It is a universal law—what we give to others will come back to us. For example, if we give love to others, we too will receive it; if we give happiness to others, we will receive it, too. So, let us give more of what we lack so that we will receive it more. Giving and receiving connects our self with the self of others, which means that we are connecting to the cosmic divine realm.
Regularly practicing meditation connects us to the super-conscious realm that imparts on us its divine attributes. Regular meditation and prayers are potent methods of achieving spiritual evolution.
Spiritual Growth Is an Unending Process
Spiritual awakening takes place when a person experiences a dynamic shift in consciousness during which the person no longer identifies with the body. The person always identifies with the soul, although performing all the functions and activities with the body. Such an individual always has the attitude of a detached observer. Nothing can touch the individual emotionally, as such a person has emotions of love, kindness, empathy and compassion towards all.
The person always maintains the poise of equanimity and is contented in any situation. He or she has completely surrendered to the will of the Almighty; he or she always firmly believes that whatever is occurring in life is His wish and is beneficial to him or her. The process of spiritual growth is unending and even continues to take place even after the attainment of spiritual awakening.
Characteristics of a Spiritually Awakened Person
The following are characteristics of people who have attained spiritual awakening:
- Since such a person identifies with the soul, he or she has completely lost the sense of "I, me and mine." Although he or she performs all the activities of the body, such a person is totally unaffected by them. The person performs all actions without attachment to their outcomes.
- The person has all the worldly possessions like wealth, material assets, name, fame, friends and relations, and he or she enjoys them thoroughly. If he or she happens to lose any of them, they are not affected at all by the loss, as it cannot make them unhappy and miserable.
- Such a person is never fearful of losing anything in life since he or she has realized that all worldly things are impermanent.
- The spiritually awakened individual always uses the power of inner self; the individual doesn’t struggle to obtain the approval of others or external power.
- Such an individual has reached a mental state of equanimity and thus cannot be affected by anything or any situation that brings either happiness or unhappiness.
- Fear, jealousy, hatred, animosity, greed or any other negative force has no place in the life of a spiritually illuminated person.
- The individual is always very humble and has no sense of superiority to anyone since he or she believes that everyone else is the same as he or she is but has donned different disguises. The individual understands that underneath those disguises lies the "Universal Oneness."
- Such a person doesn’t have wasteful and negative thoughts about him or her and others because the true nature of the soul is divine. A spiritually illumined individual is free from all negativity of thoughts, words and actions. His or her thoughts are always elevated and, so, words and actions of such a person are also elevated and inspire others to emulate them.
- A spiritually awakened person is not attached to anything, including material assets, name or fame, relations, kith and kin, concepts and beliefs; therefore, the person is not affected by them if something unfavorable happens to them. He or she is a detached observer and is emotionally not influenced by anything. He or she is equipoise at all time.
- Such a person faithfully performs all perfunctory duties in life but is not attached to their outcomes. And, so, whatever he or she performs, he or she does it to the best of the capacity and resigns its outcome to the Almighty, as such a person who firmly believes that the outcome will be in the best interest of all concerned, not only in his or her interest. All the acts of such a person are meant for the welfare of all involved.
- Spiritually illumined individuals are full of love, kindness and compassion towards all including humans, animals, birds and plants. They always take care not to cause any damage to the environment. They love and enjoy nature, which provides them the opportunity to be present in the "Now."
- A spiritually awake person lives a life of voluntary humility and therefore cannot harm or mistreat anyone. He or she will readily forgive the person who wrongs them. Forgiveness is a strong attribute of the person who practices voluntary humility.
- Such an individual is always striving hard to grow spiritually instead of pointing out the imperfections of others. Such a person doesn’t preach to others but instead becomes a role model that others strive to emulate.
- Such individuals always respect the beliefs and opinions of others. They don’t impose their views and opinions on others.
- They are always happy and, therefore, they spread happiness to all who come in contact with them. Therefore, they attract happiness in ample amounts like a magnet.
- They are free from any greed since they are fully contented with what they have; they don’t aspire to possess more than their basic needs.
- Spiritually awake individuals don’t get angry since they never have a cause for it. If someone becomes angry with them, they don’t retaliate but forgive them readily.
- Such individuals don’t criticize anyone because they don’t notice faults in others. If anyone criticizes them, they gracefully accept it and find something good in it that they may use to improve themselves.
- They never try to control others because they believe in controlling themselves.
- A spiritually awakened person has great power of tolerance, so such a person accepts all types of people, things, situations and circumstances unconditionally.
- Such an individual speaks less but whatever he or she says is sweet and good.
- Such persons have more inner silence because of reduced internal dialogue, which our minds are incessantly creating in the form of thoughts.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
I find it hard to be around non-awakened people as their thoughts and actions seem so silly to me. I never judge people, but I prefer solitude rather than their company. Is not wanting to be around the spiritually unawakened normal?
I agree that many find it hard to be around non-awakened persons. But spiritually awakened should have enough tolerance to stand them because the trait of tolerance is also a sign of spiritual awakening. The level of spiritual awakening is associated with the degree of emotional equanimity.
A spiritually awakened person should never judge anyone unless one truly knows the person, but again it is rather impossible to know someone truly as our perspectives always differ. So one should avoid judging others.
A spiritually awakened person prefers solitude but if by chance one is in a company, the emotional equanimity doesn't let the person be affected by the company. The person more or less enjoys the solitude while being in the company.Helpful 4
Do advanced spiritual people normally sleep?
The amount of sleep required by the spiritually awakened persons is the same as required by a normal person. But they don't have the causes responsible for insomnia so they have better and sound sleep.Helpful 1