LBRP: Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram
A Foundation of Ceremonial Magic
The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram—the LBRP for short—is a well-known, effective technique used for ridding yourself and surroundings of unwanted and negative energies. It is also used at the beginning and ending of magical rites. It originates from ceremonial magic orders including the Golden Dawn.
The LBRP is one of the first rituals learned by the ceremonial magician, but you don't have to follow that tradition to reap the benefits. It does help, however, if you are comfortable with the Hebrew language used in the ritual. The Golden Dawn is a Western Mystery Tradition that combines such influences as Christian and Jewish mysticism with Egyptian magic and alchemy.
Ritual Structure and Vibrating the Words
Below is the basic structure of the ritual. This includes instructions to vibrate certain words. This means to intone them by taking a deep breath in and on the exhale slowly saying the word as if in a chant. Make sure to release the word from your diaphragm. Don't shout but make it a focused, controlled sound. You should actually be able to feel a sense of vibration in the diaphragm and area of the body that corresponds with the word, although this takes time and practice to get it right. Even if you don't feel like you've got the vibration of the words down, keep at it. You will still feel the positive effects of this ritual.
The meaning of the words is in parenthesis after. I recommend doing your preferred grounding and centering technique before doing the LBRP.
Classic Instruction in Magic
This is Israel Regardie's classic work on the Western Magical Tradition, edited by Chic and Tabatha Cicero who are magical adepts in their own right.
The Kabbalistic Cross
- Begin facing the east. Imagine a sphere of brilliant white light above your head. This is energy from the Divine Source. With your right index finger draw down this light to your forehead and vibrate the word Atah (Thou Art).
- Now draw this light to your groin and vibrate the word Malkuth (The Kingdom)
- Touch your right shoulder while visualizing the light drawing up to that area and vibrate the word Ve-Geburah (and the Power).
- Touch your left shoulder and again imagine the light there and vibrate Ve-Gedulah (and the Glory).
- Visualize the cross of brilliant white light before you. Bring your hands to your chest clasping them and vibrate Le-Olahm, Amen (Forever, Amen).
*Pronunciations are in parentheses. The names are variations on names for God.
- Stand in the east. With your right index finger begin drawing a pentagram in blue or white light starting at the earth point (seen in figure above). Make this a large pentagram starting at your left hip sweeping up to your head, down to your right hip, up to your left shoulder, then to your right and back to the starting point in the earth (left hip). Vibrate YHVH (Yode-Heh-Vav-Heh). Don't drop your hand. Keep visualizing the light emitting from your finger as your turn to face each direction.
- Turn to the south. Draw the pentagram as before and vibrate Adonai (Ah-do-nye).
- Turn to the west. Draw the pentagram as before and vibrate Eheieh (Eh-hey-yay).
- Turn to the north. Draw the pentagram as before and vibrate Agla (Ah-gla).
Do you perform some variation of the LBRP?See results without voting
Call on Archangels
*The words are spoken normally except the archangels names which are vibrated. Vibratory forms of the names are in parentheses. Imagine the energy of each angel as a bright white or opalescent light. You will stay facing the east for each angel.
- Return to face the east. Visualize an angel before you. Extend both arms in the form of a cross and say Before me Raphael (Rah-fye-el).
- Visualize an angel behind you and say Behind me Gabriel (Gah-bree-el).
- Visualize an angel on your right and say On my right hand Michael (Mee-kie-el).
- Visualize an angel on your left and say On my left hand Uriel (Ur-ee-el)
- Say "For about me flames the pentagram, and in the column shines the six-rayed star."
- Repeat the Kabbalistic Cross.
Different traditions visualize the angels and directions with elements and colors, though some recommend getting the basic structure down first before attempting to memorize any elemental associations. In fact, students early on in Golden Dawn history were only given this structure without extra correspondences. They did not learn these things until later in their studies. The energy of the Divine light and archangels is more than adequate to banish unwanted energies.
Power in Simplicity
Once memorized, this may seem like a very basic technique. Don't let its apparent simplicity fool you however. If practiced on a regular basis, it will become a powerful tool in your magical arsenal to clear yourself of negativity.
It can even be used for protection against psychic attack whether it be from a deliberate source or from general psychic stress from yourself or the environment around you.
One Version of the LBRP in Action
Learn More About the Western Magical Tradition
The Ciceros are respected Golden Dawn adepts and have written numerous texts on the subject. This book includes the LBRP and a thorough explanation as well as other foundation rituals of the Golden Dawn system.
More Magical Links
- Psychic Shielding - Techniques for Psychic Self-Defense
Psychic self-defense is used to protect against psychic attack. Learn some techniques to protect yourself here.
- Chakra and Flame Psychic Self-Defense Guided Meditation
Learn this simple and effective psychic self-defense technique that utilizes the chakra system as a powerful way to combat real or perceived psychic attack
- Cicero, Chic, and Sandra Tabatha Cicero. Self-Initiation int the Golden Dawn Tradition, 1st Ed., Llewellyn Publications, 1995.
- Kraig, Donald Michael. Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts, 2nd Ed., Llewellyn Publications, 1988 and 1998.
© 2009 PatriciaJoy