Rebecca loves sharing what she knows about alternative medicine, health, frugal living, fun, animals, and how to live a better life!
What Are Energy Cords?
We are all spiritual beings. Every minute of every day (including when we sleep), we are sharing energy with fellow humans, animals, and nature. Sometimes we can pick up attachments to others that do not serve ours or their highest good. Energetic bonds can happen with any chakra, or multiple chakras, within your energy body. Most of these bonds happen naturally—they are with our friends, family, children, co-workers, and neighbors. They are welcome bonds. Helpful energy bonds consist of mutual sharing, respect, trust, and love. But because we are always in a state of growth, sometimes bonds can outlive their purpose. When this happens, cord-cutting can be beneficial to both parties involved.
Cords and attachments can become very problematic for anyone doing energy or psychic work, highly sensitive people, and empaths.
A cord is created by thought and emotion; whether that progresses to a physical relationship has no bearing on the cord existing. Energy is not restricted by time or space. Often, if a relationship also becomes physical, the cord only strengthens. A good example of this is sharing your body in an intimate relationship. How much energy invested in the relationship will also affect how easy it is to remove or sever an unwanted or outgrown bond.
Heart Chakra and Solar Plexus Attachments
Many people consider this topic New Age, but it's actually based on universal laws and physics. The majority of energy cords that become problematic are those that attach to the heart chakra or solar plexus. Your heart emits an electromagnetic field that actually changes based on your emotional state. When we are in the womb, the heart forms before the brain. The magnetic field of the human heart can be measured several feet from the body. It is stronger than the brain.
The solar plexus is a very strong energy point in the body that regulates personal power and life purpose. Even when you intentionally remove an energy cord with someone, they can come back by thought, in which case you will need to repeat the process of cutting them. Cords are created by thought, emotion, contact, and material possessions.
Signs of Unwanted Energy Cords
- Obsessive thoughts of person, place, or thing.
- Negative self-talk or feelings from said person, place, or thing.
- You feel sick or drained when you think or spend time with certain people, places, or things.
- Despite cutting contact, the attachment reappears.
- You avoid places the attachment may appear or come up, or you no longer do things you love doing.
- You have repeating dreams about the attachment.
- You feel like less of a person from the attachment's influence.
- Even though you feel you've moved on from an attachment, you find scenarios or life lessons repeating in your life that just don't seem to go away. This becomes a karmic loop.
- You cannot find peace or forgiveness with your attachment.
- Any thought of the attachment makes you anxious, tired, or physically sick.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Cutting and Removal of Energetic Cords
- Find a quiet place where you can sit for at least 20 minutes, undisturbed. If you need to strengthen the intent, light some incense, or smudge the space.
- Close your eyes and begin focusing on your breathing.
- Once you feel suitably relaxed, envision a thick red or black cord coming from your tailbone, going deep into the earth, and tying you safely to the core. This is to ground and also protect you.
- Now draw to mind the person, place, or thing that you wish to cut cords with.
- Visualize the cords with this person, place, or thing and then imagine cutting them. The cords may appear black, thick, heavy, or like frayed ropes. Healthy energy cords usually manifest visually as gold, silver, or white. Negative cords will "feel" negative and often look that way as well. Cutting cords can be symbolic with scissors, a sword, burning them off, dusting them like cobwebs, or you removing them by hand. Tell this person place or thing that you love them, you wish them well, but no longer will be tied to them. Then remove the cords.
- Repeat this process as often as needed until you feel they are cleared.
- Now, visualize the cord you attached to the core of the earth being untied and coming back up into your tailbone.
- Bring your awareness back to conscious reality, and have a good stretch.
- Thank your higher self, spiritual guides, God, etc., and go about your day.
- Repeat this exercise as often as needed if you feel said person, place, or thing invading your thoughts.
Cord Cutting Is a Simple Process
Energy cord cutting is a simple process. At times you may just need to repeat the process if you find the attachment to a person, place, or thing is overpowering or taking up to much of your headspace or emotional energy.
There are many visualization techniques you can incorporate into your own practice. The one in this article is very basic, and you can add to it as it suits you. Don't be surprised if during the cord cutting you actually "see" cords attaching you to others. They can appear in the mind's eye through the brow chakra, especially if you have latent clairvoyant abilities. The most important thing is to firmly set your intention to release yourself from any bonds or attachments.
Other Bonds to Release
Just as we attach energetically to people, places, or things, we can also physically attach. The goal is to cut any form of unhealthy attachment.
This may mean:
- Verbally saying goodbye and reaffirming your intent to let them go.
- Returning any physical property you may have that belongs to the object you wish to detach from. Any material possessions, gifts, or money, return them or get rid of them.
- Blocking all forms of contact.
With repeated practice, you will begin to feel lighter and less affected by anything you are negatively attached to. Sometimes you will only require this practice once to accomplish your goal. If you find you need to do this often, don't get discouraged just stick to it. Another option is to speak with a shamanic healer for soul retrieval or a hypnotherapist.
Read More From Exemplore
The best thing you can do is stop feeding the person, place, or thing your energy via thought and emotion. Forgive them, forgive yourself, and let go.
- Guided Meditation for Cord Cutting
To many people are stuck in a loop of negative energy circulating unconsciously between you and other people. All that we experience creates an energy cord t...
- Science of the Heart - YouTube
The human heart emits the strongest electromagnetic field in our body. This electromagnetic field envelops the entire body extending out in all directions, a...
- Solar Plexus Chakra Balancing and Healing
How to balance and promote free-flowing energy in your solar chakra . . .
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2017 Rebecca
Maura on November 18, 2019:
I have a question. If you have cut cords with others, especially that of generational cords, and hypothetically, you are the chosen one to heal family trauma though multiple generations before you as well as after you, do you attend any family functions that you are invited to, knowing the invite is inauthentic? I don't know if I am helping or hurting the "healing" by attending or not attending.
Seema khemada on September 23, 2019:
Can I finally end any relationships with whom I don't like. With this cord cutting...or it will not end the relationship only revitalize it or remove ngtv enrgy from the relationship
Rebecca (author) from USA on August 04, 2019:
Thank you so much. I appreciate the share too. :)
Maurice Glaude from Mobile on July 28, 2019:
Amazing article. Sharing to my facebook.com/guidetocrystals .They wll really enjoy this.
Fayleen on December 24, 2018:
Your very welcome. Have a happy festive time. It's December 24th here :-)
Rebecca (author) from USA on December 15, 2018:
Thank you so much for this comment. And you're completely right. I think you hit the nail on the head with "believing in our ability to change what was bothering un within ourselves" I hope everyone can read what you've wrote here and take as much from it as I have. Thanks again.
Fayleen on December 13, 2018:
Hi Rebecca I found that even just trying the cutting cords relaxation can be more beneficial than it seems at first. It helps to do the visualisation long term because initially the hurt is still there at its strongest but the action the visualisation of cutting negative energy is effective. I cope better now because I realise I was in a negative pattern of blame bouncing with my sons dad. The way I have spoken to him has changed and I am starting to grow in confidence that he will never have the power to make me lose my temper again. It was through extreme fear of him that my defender levels were so high. It's the truth but I wasn't believed. I am losing fear when my son is with him and not me because what's his dad gonna do about it. I was with my son today and he is playing trumpet and finding happiness . I wish I could get more time with him every week but at least my attitude is better for me and my own peace. My sons dad can not get the negative reactions from me that he once for some weird reason seemed to thrive on. I don't understand it. he is with another partner and the best thing I can do is wish that they can be happy together. I got married after I split up from my sons dad and I got pregnant again and things still get difficult sometimes but it's the small things like believing in our ability to change what was bothering us within ourselves and take it from there to move towards getting what we need. : )
roth on September 14, 2018:
I envisioned cutting the cords, but the scissor won't pass through. I tried burning it, but the once black cord only turned white/silver. I cannot envision myself cutting it.
Rebecca (author) from USA on April 24, 2018:
You're welcome :)
Fayleen on April 20, 2018:
Thank you Rebecca. : )
Rebecca (author) from USA on April 18, 2018:
Sorry to hear this Fayleen, that's really hard. Sometimes it helps to do cord cutting after everytime you have to deal with someone you don't want to deal with. We wash dirt off by showering, it's a similar concept only with energy. & as long as you are being there for your son, they can never destroy the bond you two have.
Fayleen on April 16, 2018:
Hi thank you for the guidance unfortunately the two people I want to cut cords with are my sons father and grandmother. I recognise the repeated negative thoughts I have are criticisms that they both gave to me. They try and keep my son away from me but I won't give up and keep seeing him. I love my son but I can't forgive or love my sons dad or his grandmother. It's difficult to let go when I have to see them regularly so I can spend time with my son. All I can say is that I don't wish my sons dad or his grandmother any harm. But I could never love or forgive them again they wouldn't let me anyway.
Cathy on March 12, 2018:
Frank Atanacio from Shelton on December 27, 2017:
this is a very handy hub Bishop.. saving for future use awesome