Tarot Numerology – What Tarot Card Numbers Mean
How Numerology Applies to Tarot
by Christin Sander
When reading tarot, secondary themes like numerology can also give more details during a reading. This is particularly true if a number shows up in abundance within a Tarot spread or if for instance, you have something like two 2’s in a row. When numbers show up prominently in a spread, or if the card number matches the position number, carefully consider the numerological meaning of that number as well. The card number will almost always give further insight into the situation and how your questioner is approaching it.
Tarot Card Numbers
- One: The number 1 is represented by the Ace cards. In Numerology and Tarot the number 1 signifies a situation that is about to take place, something in the very initial stages of development or planning. A lot of Aces in a reading would likely indicate that the situation you are reading about is something new or just coming together. Ace’s (1) speaks of gaining momentum to help get an idea off the ground. Ace’s in abundance also speak of abundant opportunities or positive changes presenting themselves.
- Two: Two’s in the Tarot speak of choices and being at a crossroads. Once you have come to a fork in the road, you have to choose a direction. Several 2’s in a spread tend to indicate a complex or difficult choice in the works. It can speak of wrestling with a decision or not feeling confident in one’s choices. An abundance of two’s typically means the questioner needs to get a move on in regards to making some choices and taking action on them. Relief is usually found once this decision is made.
- Three: Three’s tend to come up around events or circumstances where a group dynamic is involved or several people are influencing the condition or circumstance. When three’s cluster together in a spread it typically tells me a situation is disorganized or there are more variables in play than the questioner has considered. Three can also point to too many hands in the kitchen or too many people trying to control a situation which leads to misunderstandings and chaotic energy if left unchecked. Multiple 3’s means someone needs to take charge or the field needs to be narrowed down.
- Four: The number four speaks of the process of manifestation where things are being nurtured and starting to grow into fruition. Fours sometimes come up around delays or feeling disappointment because things are not happening as quickly as one had hoped, but four in abundance speaks of the need for patience and persistence. A lot of 4’s can mean some delays and if the situation in question has hit roadblocks on more than one occasion it can sometimes mean a need to reassess the goal itself to see if it is still worth pursuing.
- Five: Five cards in abundance tend to point to a lot of fluctuation and change, ups and downs and often some challenges being present. They come up a lot when people need to take a more spiritual or intuitive look at a problem they are facing rather than depending solely on intellect or what they “think” they “should” do etc. Five means a need to look honestly into a situation and seek one’s higher guidance and not merely what one wants to hear.
- Six: Six is a card of the self – but not in a selfish way. It tends to indicate focus on self in order to transcend problems and see new solutions. Many 6’s indicate a period of adjustment and “tweaking” in order to align with one’s higher goals. Overcoming obstacles through determination and willingness to change, empowering oneself.
- Seven: This is the number of introspection and intuition. It comes up in abundance during periods of solitude or feeling a need to distance one’s self for a bit and recharge. 7’s are cards of reevaluation, assessing one’s true needs and lining up with those goals. Sometimes this very act of “tuning in” draws little unexpected surprises and opportunities – so an abundance of 7’s can sometimes point to “happy accidents” or things that you don’t expect that show up to help you out.
- Eight: The number eight tends to represent a lot of energy and positive changes taking place. Eights often speak of “spiritual luck” and blessings of abundance that manifest. Think of the four from earlier with the growing room and nurturing aspects – the eight is the final expression of this, the actual appearance of blessings or manifesting ones goals. I look at an abundance of 8’s as a sign from the universe that you are on the right track or are about to reach an important goal.
- Nine: In Tarot nine speaks of the completion of one course of events occurring as something else is just getting started. When 9’s appear with frequency it indicates the past is on the way out, but the future direction hasn’t been decided so there is a bit of “flux” or a transition period in progress. Sometimes this leads to people feeling more anxious due to uncertainty.
- Ten: Ten’s in Tarot mean something that has come full circle, the end of a particular course of events. Abundant 10’s often mean difficulty moving on or letting go of the past which may be keeping the questioner from seeing new possibilities or avenues. A lot of 10’s mean a need to complete something or put it to rest and move forward.
Do you consider number meanings also in your tarot readings?See results without voting
My Tarot Video Featuring the Major Arcana
- Spiritual Guidance Tarot
My website featuring free Tarot readings for insight, spiritual growth & self-mastery.
- Tarot Card Meanings How to Truly Understand Tarot
Tarot does not have to be complex, confusing or difficult to understand. It is easy to master once you get past the misconceptions and learn how it actually works as a psychological tool.
- Major Arcana Tarot Card Meanings
Learn the spiritual symbolism and life lessons of the Tarot's Major Arcana in this hub that also features an accompanying video to make learning visual and fun.
- Tarot and Astrology | Which Tarot Card are You?
Astrology is closely linked with Tarot. Can you guess which of the Tarot's court cards represent you? the
© 2011 Christin Sander
More by this Author
Numerology personality number meanings and how to calculate them. Learn what the numbers have to say about your personality. Do you agree?
Tarot does not have to be complex, confusing, or difficult to understand. It is easy to master once you get past the misconceptions and learn how it actually works as a psychological tool.
Not having much luck with law of attraction and manifesting? That's because the Law of Attraction is only the beginning - learn the basics of the 12 universal laws and how they work together to create the life of your...