How to Do Your Own Yes/No Tarot Card Reading for Love Questions
Tarot is renowned for giving in-depth advice for relationship issues. But what if you simply want a quick answer? What if your issue can be reduced to a yes or a no? Well, tarot cards are good for that too. Unsurprisingly, I like to call it yes/no tarot.
How Do You Read "Yes" or "No" in Tarot?
- Ask a question. Formulate your question very carefully (see below for guidance on phrasing your question well).
- Pull a card. Yes/no tarot readings require only a single card, and that answer has to be accepted. You can’t keep drawing cards until you get one that gives you the answer you’d like. Believe me, I’ve done that too. If you want to learn more about how to shuffle the deck, choose a card, and other tarot basics, read How to Deal or Spread Tarot Cards.
- Look up the card's answer below. Having read the cards for so many years, I have developed my own instinctive system for questions that require an yes/no answer: See the charts below. It varies, though—a card that says ‘yes’ for a question about finances may not be a ‘yes’ for a question about love, so the charts below will only help you interpret answers for relationships and romance. Also bear in mind that some cards are non-committal; they may sometimes suggest ‘maybe.’ In other words, give it time.
With all that said, here is my quick guide to tarot for love: yes/no answers. So if you have a question about love, get clear in your mind what it is you are asking, grab your deck, and pick out a card.
How to Formulate Your Question
Remember you are looking for a yes/no answer, so make sure your question is suitable and not open-ended. There's no point asking who, when, where, why, or how. You won't get insight into the circumstances that led up to the current situation... but you can get a yes, no, or maybe.
Examples of unsuitable questions: Where and how did our relationship go wrong? Why won't he open up to me? What are the biggest obstacles to our togetherness?
Examples of suitable questions: Is there chemistry between us? Should I try to talk to her and work things out between us? Is this relationship going to last?
Yes or No: The Major Arcana
- Fool — Yes, take a chance on love. Go with how you feel.
- Magician — Yes, you have the power to make this relationship work.
- High Priestess — Perhaps. You must take it slowly and follow your inner guidance. (But you knew that, right?)
- Empress — Yes. Go for it with passion, but don’t forget the birth control.
- Emperor — No, there are external pressures to deal with first.
- Hierophant — Maybe. Seek advice from one who has a neutral perspective.
- Lovers — Hell, yes! But wait. . . if this is a life-changing choice, then make sure you consider all possible outcomes.
- Chariot — Maybe. You are in control here and need to navigate your way forward carefully.
- Strength — Yes. You may have to use your powers of persuasion to get your erstwhile lover to come around to your way of thinking.
- Hermit — No. You must spend some time working through your issues alone before you can share your life with another. Learn to love yourself first.
- Wheel of Fortune — Yes. No. Maybe. Choose another card. (Yes, I know I said never to choose another card, but in this case, feel free.)
- Justice — Yes, if the person is available: No if they are not.
- Hanged Man — No, it’s not happening yet, but give it time. Things change.
- Death — No. Something has to end before a new relationship can begin.
- Temperance — Yes, the chemistry’s right. You are a good match.
- Devil — No. You have to let this go. It’s not good for you.
- Tower — No. This could be a destructive relationship.
- Star — Yes, love is all around. Feel it permeate your whole being.
- Moon — Maybe. There is much confusion. Let some time pass and you will know more clearly what you want.
- Sun — Yes, all is well. Have fun, enjoy it. It might be temporary.
- Judgment — Yes, you are being strongly called forward.
- World — Yes, though you may feel you are stuck in a holding pattern. That’s okay, all is happening for your benefit. You are exactly where you are meant to be.
Yes or No: Wands
- Ace of Wands — Yes. Yes! Yeeesss! I’ll have some of what she’s having.
- Two of Wands — No, not yet. Possibly not ever. Circumstances are not in your favor.
- Three of Wands — Possibly. You’ve done all that you can. Now you have to wait and see.
- Four of Wands — Yes, and have fun with it all. There is cause for celebration.
- Five of Wands — No. There are challenges to be dealt with. You may have competition.
- Six of Wands — Yes, everything is in place. Go for it.
- Seven of Wands — No, there’s too much at stake right now.
- Eight of Wands — Yes, but you must set your priorities right from the start.
- Nine of Wands — No. You are not ready to go back into the romantic arena. You are hurting too much.
- Ten of Wands — No. Either you have too many responsibilities or you need to heal first.
- Page of Wands — Yes, life’s an adventure; don’t let this one go.
- Knight of Wands — Yes, if you want a quick fling. No if you want a long-term relationship. This one's a butterfly.
- Queen of Wands — Yes, be your gorgeous sexy self.
- King of Wands — Yes, but don’t let the other person push you around.
Yes or No: Cups
- Ace of Cups — Yes, your cup of love floweth over.
- Two of Cups — Yes. This is it!
- Three of Cups — Yes, but you have to find the right balance between your romance and your long-standing friendships.
- Four of Cups — No. Heal your heart.
- Five of Cups — No, wait until you feel better.
- Six of Cups — Yes. This could be unconditional love.
- Seven of Cups — Maybe. . . once you can make up your mind.
- Eight of Cups — No. You have to walk away from this one, even if it breaks your heart.
- Nine of Cups — Yes, if you feel it’s a positive thing. No, if you don’t. You are in the right place for you. It’s all good.
- Ten of Cups — Yes, this one is a keeper.
- Page of Cups — Yes, although there may be some soul-searching required.
- Knight of Cups — Yes, but the romance may not last. This one’s all show.
- Queen of Cups — Yes, but the emotional commitment may be one-sided.
- King of Cups — Yes, this person is your harbor in a tempest.
Yes or No: Swords
- Ace of Swords — Maybe. Wait a day or two and you may receive a revelation that will affect your decision.
- Two of Swords — No. You are not seeing things properly. Don’t let yourself be blinded by desire.
- Three of Swords — No, you have some thinking to do. There could be a communication issue going on.
- Four of Swords — No. You need time to heal and recuperate.
- Five of Swords — No, this person is not being honest.
- Six of Swords — Yes, you are moving towards a better future. Take it slowly.
- Seven of Swords — Yes, possibly, but check his or her history before you move forward.
- Eight of Swords — No. You have got yourself into a situation and you must get out of it. There is a way forward.
- Nine of Swords — No. Beware of using this relationship as an escape route.
- Ten of Swords — Yes, perhaps this is what you need to move on with your life.
- Page of Swords — Yes, but be prepared for it to be fiery and feisty.
- Knight of Swords — Yes, as long as you can live with their intense focus on their missions and goals.
- Queen of Swords — Yes, and know that both partners must be transparent and honest.
- King of Swords — Yes, this might be a meeting of formidable intellects.
Yes or No: Pentacles (or Disks or Coins)
- Ace of Pentacles — Yes, this is a new beginning. There may be nest-building ahead.
- Two of Pentacles — Yes, if you have time for this.
- Three of Pentacles — Yes, but you might need help to attract his or her interest.
- Four of Pentacles — No, it’s not going to happen unless you get out more.
- Five of Pentacles — Maybe. Life is tough at the moment, so perhaps this person will help you through.
- Six of Pentacles — Yes, but do be careful that you are not being taken advantage of.
- Seven of Pentacles — Yes, it’s what you’ve been patiently waiting for.
- Eight of Pentacles — No. You need to focus on your education or career right now.
- Nine of Pentacles — Yes, you are ideally placed to take this forward. On the other hand, you might not even feel the need for anyone else at this time.
- Ten of Pentacles — Yes, everyone approves. Bring them into the family.
- Page of Pentacles — Yes. This will be a journey of discovery.
- Knight of Pentacles — Yes, this person has hidden depths. Enjoy the dive.
- Queen of Pentacles — Yes, if you are ready to settle down.
- King of Pentacles — Yes, this one has a lot to give and is very generous. Keep your feet firmly planted and be realistic.
A Note About Reversals and Clarification Cards
When drawing a single card, you can ignore reversals. After all, you might have been holding the deck around the wrong way. The 78 cards of the tarot cover all aspects of life perfectly without the need for reversals in any case.
So, if you flip a card for a yes/no question(or for any one-card reading), and it comes out upside down, just turn it around.
Drawing a Card for Clarification
I would suggest never drawing clarification cards. All they do is add confusion and doubt to the original card. I know this from experience. I used to draw clarification cards for the clarification card. Just silly. The only time I would draw an extra card would be if I had turned over the Wheel of Fortune.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I don't like the answer I get?
This is just the risk you take when you ask, isn't it? When you ask, you have to be ready to hear the answer you're given. Instead of refusing to hear the answer, take this as an opportunity to learn and grow.
Can I ask the same question again?
As I said before, it's important to take the answer you get seriously, so there should be no need to ask again. If necessary, you can ask again in a couple weeks to see if anything has changed.
Can I simply focus on the person I'm interested in instead of asking a specific question?
No. To get a definitive answer, you should always have a well-formed question. Otherwise, you risk being left confused.
If I draw the Lovers, does that mean the person I'm thinking about loves me for sure?
The Lovers card has many layers. It means a deep, connected love, but it's also associated with the sign of Gemini, the twins, so it can also mean facing a life-changing choice between two different things. So it could be a strong yes, but it could also be a strong indication that you really need to make this decision yourself, because it's very important.
What if the card is upside-down?
This is what we call a reversal, but when you're only drawing one card, it doesn't matter if it's right-side-up or not. So if you flip a card for any one-card reading (including a yes/no question) and it's upside down, just turn it around.
Video Tutorial for How to Shuffle Tarot Cards and Form Your Question
Did You Get Your Answer?
Hope the above was useful and you got your question answered. If not, here are some useful links.
- If you have a yes/no question but don't have a tarot deck on hand, Tarot With Playing Cards Yes/No Answers gives instructions for using a regular deck of playing cards.
- If you have questions about love or romance but don't have a tarot deck,
Reading Playing Cards for Love offers guidance.
- If you want to do a one-card reading but your question is broader than a simple yes/no question about love, The Amazing One-Card Tarot Reading will help guide you.
Please note: the Question & Answer section below is for queries about how to learn to read the cards. It's not a free reading service, or for me to interpret your cards for you. That's your job :)
Questions & Answers
I asked if I would get to talk to a particular person again. And I received the Moon for one, and Seven of Pentacles for the other. I read the former as leaning towards no, and the latter as a possibility. Does this mean that there is no clear reading regarding this situation due to several reasons?
I asked if it's time to call it quits and walk away from a relationship and person. I got the Page of Pentacles. How do I read it?
It's important that you recognize your initial response when you turn a card. That will tell you all you need to know.
The Page of Pentacles is curious yet pragmatic. She has a very sensible, down-to-earth persona. Being ruled by earth, she has an instinct that always stands her in good stead. Look to your own instinct and rely on your own intuition to guide you.Helpful 2
I asked if a man I'm interested in would have a relationship with me. As I shuffled, three cards fell from the deck: Page of Swords, King of Wands, King of Pentacles. I then drew a fourth card after I cut the cards, Three of cups. I'm new to tarot so need some insight into what this reading might mean?
As your question only demands a yes/no answer, I would suggest you reshuffle the cards, focus on the question, and draw one single card. Those other cards may be significant in your life, so just keep a note of them. It's too easy to confuse yourself, especially when you are a tarot novice.Helpful 2
I asked if I would reconcile with someone. I pulled out the World card. I'm confused about whether it means the reconciliation will happen or since the world is about completion, is it trying to tell me that the person's role in my life is complete?
When you turn a card, your first thought is usually the correct one. When the World shows up, it is generally positive but sometimes not in the way we'd prefer. So, yes, it's likely that the relationship is over but at the same time, you are in the right place for the next set of positive circumstances to unfold. Whatever is to come next will be better than that which is behind you.Helpful 3
Do I continue with my relationship or do I quit?
If you have to ask, then you should quit. What does your tarot card say?Helpful 20
© 2017 Bev G