Tarot With Playing Cards Yes/No Answers
Your friend knows about your interest in tarot, so she suggests you do some readings "for fun". Yet you haven’t got a deck. “That’s all right,” your friend says, “You can do it with playing cards.” And you can. It’s perfectly possible to read tarot with playing cards. Reading with any kind of playing card deck, or tarot or oracle deck, is called cartomancy.
If you want to learn the techniques from scratch and really get to understand the cards and their messages, I suggest you start here: How to Read the Tarot with Playing Cards. However, if you are looking for fast answers to yes/no questions, then this is the right place. Here is a down-and-dirty, fast guide to what playing cards answer ‘yes’ to your questions and which ones say "no". Oh, and be aware, there could also be some "maybes" in there too.
I’ve modified the answers with a phrase that reflects the energy of the card and fits in with its traditional meaning. It might be helpful, or you can ignore it if it doesn’t fit.
What's Your Question?
Here we go. Formulate your question. Remember it must require a more or less straight yes/no/maybe answer. There’s no point asking about your spiritual development or how do you go about attracting love this year. Simple questions get a simple answer.
One Card Only
To get an answer to a yes/no question, you only need to draw one card. If it suggests another question to you, put the first card back in the deck (after making a note of it and its answer), then shuffle and draw another for your new question.
If you try drawing more than one card, you won't get a clear response.
A Quick Note on the Joker
I recommend you remove the Joker from the deck before beginning your reading. The Joker is an ambivalent card, represented by the Fool in Tarot. While most times it means to take a risk, to trust in the universe, to go along with game; it can also mean that the choice you are making is folly. You can decide yourself what it means and keep it in, of course, but as it's confusing, I'd take it out.
Example Playing Card Tarot Questions
- Will I get promotion this year?
- Am I going to fall in love?
- Should I go on that trip?
- Will my son get into college?
- Should I set up a new business?
- Am I going to pass my exam?
- Do I need to study harder?
- Is it a good idea to keep reading this article?
And so on…
Remember: this is for fun and entertainment. Never make an important decision based on the turn of a card.
Clubs: The Suit of Inspiration and Action
- Ace of Clubs: Yes, take advantage of this burst of energy.
- Two of Clubs: No, there is more to do. Consolidate your plans.
- Three of Clubs: Yes, be patient.
- Four of Clubs: Yes, you’ve done well so far.
- Five of Clubs: No, you need to get through this situation first.
- Six of Clubs: Yes, absolutely.
- Seven of Clubs: Maybe, you might have to convince others.
- Eight of Clubs: Yes, go now. Do that thing!
- Nine of Clubs: Yes, but slow down, take it easy.
- Ten of Clubs: No. Hunker down, things will improve.
- Jack/Knave of Clubs: Yes, if it’s safe. No, if there’s risk involved.
- Queen of Clubs: Yes, and take all the encouragement you can get.
- King of Clubs: Yes, but make sure to stand back to get the big picture.
Hearts: The Suit of Love and Emotions
- Ace of Hearts: Yes, enjoy this delicious moment.
- Two of Hearts: Yes, embrace it.
- Three of Hearts: Yes, time to have some fun.
- Four of Hearts: No, you are not in the right emotional state.
- Five of Hearts: No, your heart is too heavy.
- Six of Hearts: Yes, and it might have something to do with the past.
- Seven of Hearts: Maybe, it depends on your choice of path.
- Eight of Hearts: Yes, but slowly and reluctantly.
- Nine of Hearts: Yes, all is well.
- Ten of Hearts: Yes, now is a great time to reach for fulfillment.
- Jack/Knave of Hearts: Yes, but it won’t last.
- Queen of Hearts: Yes, but be sensitive to the needs of other people.
- King of Hearts: Very likely, yet hold back a little.
Spades: The Suit of Thinking and Communication
- Ace of Spades: Yes, you know the truth.
- Two of Spades: No, you can’t see the truth yet.
- Three of Spades: No, the lines of communication are down.
- Four of Spades: Possibly, you need time to recover first.
- Five of Spades: Yes, no, maybe. You must be up front about your intentions.
- Six of Spades: Yes, but take it slowly. Choose the path of least resistance.
- Seven of Spades: Yes, if you think you should. No, if you are attempting to deceive.
- Eight of Spades: No, you just can’t. But wait, you can if you try hard enough.
- Nine of Spades: No, get yourself sorted first.
- Ten of Spades: No, it’s just not happening, is it?
- Jack/Knave of Spades: Yes, be single minded about your goal.
- Queen of Spades: Yes, but make sure you have the truthful version first.
- King of Spades: Very likely, be sure to weigh up all the options analytically.
Diamonds: The Suit of the Material World
- Ace of Diamonds: Yes, everything is in your favor.
- Two of Diamonds: Yes, but be organized and in control.
- Three of Diamonds: Yes, especially if it’s connected to work.
- Four of Diamonds: Yes, but you have to free up some resources.
- Five of Diamonds: No, you literally cannot afford to take any risks.
- Six of Diamonds: Yes or no, depending on whether you are giving (yes) or receiving (not so much).
- Seven of Diamonds: Maybe. Are you ready to make a change?
- Eight of Diamonds: Yes, as long as you pay attention to the small print.
- Nine of Diamonds: Yes, know that you will have to do it alone.
- Ten of Diamonds: Yes, if you have family backing, agreement or support.
- Jack/Knave of Diamonds: Yes, but it will entail hard work.
- Queen of Diamonds: Yes, remember to take care of the practicalities.
- King of Diamonds: Yes, you can do anything if you are determined, capable and hard working enough.
Get in Touch
Let me know if this was helpful or if you have any questions about playing card tarot.
Note: I am unable to give free readings, so please don't ask for one!
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
Can Tarot cards tell me if I will get a job I just interviewed for?
Yes, they can, but the best indicator is time. When I get questions like this on my website, it seems a bit of a waste of a free reading. After all, it will be answered in due course. Why not use a free reading to find out how to make changes to secure a job? Or how to improve how you approach your interviews? Approach the cards wisely, and you will get a lot more out of them.
Do I have to take out the joker card when I do a yes/no Tarot reading?
It's up to you. You can assign your own yes/no result, or take it out. It's an ambiguous card, meaning 'Yes, take a risk,' or 'No, you are heading for a fall.'Helpful 1
- Helpful 2
Can tarot cards tell me if I'm pregnant?
Try a pregnancy test. It's much more accurate than a tarot card.Helpful 7
Will my house sell within the next 2 weeks?
Are you asking me to provide you with a free reading? I'm sorry but I get paid for my time as I expect you do also. If you look carefully at the text above, it says quite clearly that I cannot give free readings, so why are you asking?Helpful 6
© 2018 Bev G