I am a freelance writer with many interests. I enjoy studying palmistry to understand more about myself.
History of Palmistry
The study of palmistry was one of the highest-ranking forms of learning in ancient times. Its teachings were seen in the Book of Job. This art form is also said to have been taught in Egypt and among the ancient Hindus.
It was then rebuilt in modern times by two Frenchmen named D'Arpentigny and Desbarolles into palmistry as we know it today.
People everywhere continue to read palms and believe that what they learn is true. Whether it is accurate or not we will never know.
Size and Shape of Hands
Hands have long been defined by their sizes and shapes. Take a look at the following descriptions of what each quality of the hand represents.
- Large hands: These show a sense of obedience, attention to detail, method, and order.
- Small hands: These show an energetic person, an authority figure, or someone who understands government and has the ability to rule. They indicate executive power.
- Medium-sized hands: These show well-roundedness. When medium-sized hands' fingers are just as long as the palms, they represent a person who belongs with people who get on in business—a person who can do many things well but none exceedingly well.
- Medium-sized hands with palms long in comparison to the length of the fingers: These show a person's ability to make big plans accordingly and get a good grasp on things. However, they indicate a dislike of detail.
- Hands with the fingers relatively much longer than the palm: known to be bad planners. Although they can't plan well they are said to finish everything they do. These people will not overlook or neglect the slightest details.
- Wide hands: These show someone who feels sympathy towards others and is kind. They are able to see the other side of things as well as their own point of view.
- Narrow hands: These people are critical and exacting by nature; these hands belong to those who see their own faults rather than their greatest qualities. It is said that these hands belong to bad husbands and wives.
- Hands wide open with fingers spread well apart: These are common in someone who takes initiative and is courageous and original.
- Hands with fingers close together: These point to convention, a fear of consequences, and a cowardly nature.
- White hands: This type of hand is said to show a selfish nature.
- Red hands: This person has passionate feelings interspersed with angry emotions and great bounds of energy.
- Soft hands: These indicate someone who may exist with marked ability, as well as someone who works best "in spasms."
- Very hard hands: This person has a love of work and lots of energy. These people need to ask themselves what they truly want out of life and set a target to meet that goal.
- Square hands: These suggest a sense of reason, accuracy, and good horse-sense.
- Pointed hands: These show a person who has ideality and spirituality. A person with this type of hand is never wrong. Apparently.
Lines of the Palm
The lines of the palm are divided into 12 sections. However, not all readings include every line.
These 12 include:
- Life Line
- Head Line
- Heart Line
- Health Line
- Fate Line
- Fame Line
- Marriage Line
- Money Line
- Sex Line
- Spirit Line
- Travel Line
- Luck Line
Take a look at your own palm and see if you can find your lines.
The Importance of Your Fingers in Palm Reading
The length and size of your fingers allow a palm reader to classify your emotional and physical state and intellectual properties. The following facts are prominent in palmistry and represent individual properties.
- If you have long, slim fingers, you may have an aggressive side and emotional tendencies.
- If you have heavier fingers, you probably tend to display your physical nature prominently.
- Fingers that are short and thick mean you are comfortable with your emotional state.
- If an index finger is longer than usual, you may boss others around and lead the pack.
- If an index finger is shorter than usual, you may take a back seat and allow others to control you.
- If the ring finger is longer than usual, there may be some artistic talent hidden in your personality, and you might have a wild side or a reckless attitude.
- If your little finger is shorter than normal, it shows you lack the ability to influence others. If it is longer, you tend to be very articulate and good at writing and selling.
Learning to Read Your Own Palm
Learning to understand your hands and what each line represents can take years of commitment and practice. Some have a natural gift for it, but before you advertise your ability to read others' palms, you should become accustomed to reading your own.
Right and Left Hand
For those who are right-handed, the left hand will portray your potential and personality; whereas the right hand will show you what has changed, what will become, and pretty much gives you a little insight into your future. For those who are left-handed, the opposite is true. The reader will usually begin by studying the dominant hand to build a framework of the person's character and future.
By first figuring out the lines on your hands, you can start to learn which physical characteristics of the palm mirror your personality and lifestyle. A bit of practice on this and determining the length of the fingers will give you a more in-depth understanding of the art of palmistry. There are many palmistry books that make it easy to learn the tricks of the trade. This is where beginners who wish to learn more about this field start out.
Along with finger length, the shape of a hand can be split into the categories of earth, water, air, and fire. You can learn about the qualities and what the shape of your hand means by reading a palmistry book.
However, not all palm readers or fortune tellers use hand shape in their practice. It is not as necessary or common as other qualities of the hands, but some believe it to be a useful metric for palm reading. It will entirely depend on the reader's culture and their preferred method.
Criticism of Palmistry
Palmistry is not supported by everyone, and it gets a fair amount of criticism. As much as some truly believe in its power, others see palmistry as a trade for fake psychics.
There has not yet been a proven connection between the lines of the hand and an individual's personality. Nonetheless, this practice continues to be very important to many people.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
ruthy on May 28, 2018:
do you know about sun mount? i has sign of M. i searching what is meaning about that in net but i couldn't able to fine it can you please tell me.
Naturally RAW on June 05, 2017:
Very fascinating! I thank you for your time in writing and sharing your wisdom. The little I have learned on the extreme basic sense of ones palm, I see there is truth to this. Such as my palm showed that uncontrollable events will greatly impact my life. Having had 2 significant partners in my life ( different times mind you ) a daughter with each (born 20 years apart) losing each to death (first partner suicide) leaving me a single parent of a 14 yr old and 2nd sleep apnea leaving me a single parent of a 5 yr old. These tragedies have indeed had and still hold a great impact in my life. Also head line shows many interests; true and heart line says 2 minds. Well not sure how to take this but I can say 1. I've been diagnosed as having Bi-Polar 2. Having lost my daughters fathers leaving me single has me feeling not only alone but well say lost, incomplete, overwhelmed and indecisive. Which I think is natural having everything be on yourself no one to even help thru normal discussion as well as being financially less because of the loss. I'd love for one day to have an experienced knowledgeable palmists read my palm. I believe in God and believe he provides all tools needed in life for free, what a great individualized personal tool; Ones own God crafted hand! Not a prediction for I believe only God knows but as the Three wiseman followed the North Star we as humans have many free tools available to use in our many choices of life. Keeping faith and giving all glory to our Heavenly Father while he leads the way for you to gain knowledge each and every day in many different ways. Peace all! p.s. I say RAW for I believe Right Alongside Wrong. This makes the two different to be equal as if the same. For you can not have one without the other. Diversity is a good thing. Love All, Live, & always Learn. We will never be the wiser but we can be wise. Be wise gain wisdom
BethanRose (author) from South Wales on October 20, 2016:
Thanks so much Catherine - interesting!
Catherine on August 03, 2016:
In answer to one of the points of this article, as a professional palmist with almost 45 years of experience, I find that palmistry is very accurate.
The important thing to remember is that the palm is just a mirror of who you are and where you're going in life. You have free will, and if you choose to use that free will to turn your life around, your palms will change to reflect the new you and the new future you're heading into
jms on January 26, 2016:
quite interesting and most informative. well done!
anita bashyal on August 02, 2014:
I really satisfy with this
James on February 12, 2014:
It is very interesting and when I looked at this I noticed that it is fairly accurate.
john on January 29, 2013:
is it true that your fingers in length can tell your sexuael orientation
iram on December 15, 2012:
i want to know about my hand .in my left hand there is an E shape having 4 ends starting from heart line ending at life line and 1 more E shape smaller than before starting from heart line and end on head line .plz tell me about this i am very worry about these lines thanks
carriethomson from United Kingdom on October 24, 2011:
very intresting topic! i got very engrossed and tried read my hands, but was always in a conflict what category to put my hand into:))
Best Psychics on October 12, 2011:
Palmistry should only be treated as a guide. It should not overwhelm the person and take over his or her decisions.
klarawieck on July 14, 2011:
This is great. Thanks for sharing.
I happen to have two life lines. It's unusual, but some people have it. It's supposed to foretell great health, quick recoveries. I'll tell you if this is true in twenty years! :D
Stacie L on July 13, 2011:
I've read about this subject before..It makes interesting pints like a horoscope reading.
since families tend the have the same features..you just can't change your size of fingers and palm..LOL
Dr.Vangeepuram Navaneetham Satakopan from Chennai, India on July 11, 2011:
Very interesting points made. There is a lot of difference between a qualified doctor and a quack. The same goes for palmistry also.
Jaspal Singh from India / Australia on July 09, 2011:
Interesting, Wonderful, Informative...I loved reading. Thanks for sharing this fantastic hub, dear BethanRose.
Husky1970 on July 05, 2011:
You know that your hub is effective when you get a reader to spend the last 20 minutes looking at his hands and trying to figure out what category they fall into. Seemed like much of the information you provided has merit. Very interesting topic.
haikutwinkle on July 05, 2011:
winds and clouds
tango with precision
a smile at the end