Understanding Palmistry and What Your Hands Say About You
History of Palmistry
The study of palmistry was one of the highest-ranking forms of learning in ancient times. Its teachings were seen in the Book of Job. This art form is also said to have been taught in Egypt and among the ancient Hindus.
It was then rebuilt in modern times by two Frenchmen named D'Arpentigny and Desbarolles into palmistry as we know it today.
People everywhere continue to read palms and believe that what they learn is true. Whether it is accurate or not we will never know.
Size and Shape of Hands
Hands have long been defined by their sizes and shapes. Take a look at the following descriptions of what each quality of the hand represents.
- Large hands: These show a sense of obedience, attention to detail, method, and order.
- Small hands: These show an energetic person, an authority figure, or someone who understands government and has the ability to rule. They indicate executive power.
- Medium-sized hands: These show well-roundedness. When medium-sized hands' fingers are just as long as the palms, they represent a person who belongs with people who get on in business—a person who can do many things well but none exceedingly well.
- Medium-sized hands with palms long in comparison to the length of the fingers: These show a person's ability to make big plans accordingly and get a good grasp on things. However, they indicate a dislike of detail.
- Hands with the fingers relatively much longer than the palm: known to be bad planners. Although they can't plan well they are said to finish everything they do. These people will not overlook or neglect the slightest details.
- Wide hands: These show someone who feels sympathy towards others and is kind. They are able to see the other side of things as well as their own point of view.
- Narrow hands: These people are critical and exacting by nature; these hands belong to those who see their own faults rather than their greatest qualities. It is said that these hands belong to bad husbands and wives.
- Hands wide open with fingers spread well apart: These are common in someone who takes initiative and is courageous and original.
- Hands with fingers close together: These point to convention, a fear of consequences, and a cowardly nature.
- White hands: This type of hand is said to show a selfish nature.
- Red hands: This person has passionate feelings interspersed with angry emotions and great bounds of energy.
- Soft hands: These indicate someone who may exist with marked ability, as well as someone who works best "in spasms."
- Very hard hands: This person has a love of work and lots of energy. These people need to ask themselves what they truly want out of life and set a target to meet that goal.
- Square hands: These suggest a sense of reason, accuracy, and good horse-sense.
- Pointed hands: These show a person who has ideality and spirituality. A person with this type of hand is never wrong. Apparently.
Lines of the Palm
The lines of the palm are divided into 12 sections. However, not all readings include every line.
These 12 include:
- Life Line
- Head Line
- Heart Line
- Health Line
- Fate Line
- Fame Line
- Marriage Line
- Money Line
- Sex Line
- Spirit Line
- Travel Line
- Luck Line
Take a look at your own palm and see if you can find your lines.
The Importance of Your Fingers in Palm Reading
The length and size of your fingers allow a palm reader to classify your emotional and physical state and intellectual properties. The following facts are prominent in palmistry and represent individual properties.
- If you have long, slim fingers, you may have an aggressive side and emotional tendencies.
- If you have heavier fingers, you probably tend to display your physical nature prominently.
- Fingers that are short and thick mean you are comfortable with your emotional state.
- If an index finger is longer than usual, you may boss others around and lead the pack.
- If an index finger is shorter than usual, you may take a back seat and allow others to control you.
- If the ring finger is longer than usual, there may be some artistic talent hidden in your personality, and you might have a wild side or a reckless attitude.
- If your little finger is shorter than normal, it shows you lack the ability to influence others. If it is longer, you tend to be very articulate and good at writing and selling.
Learning to Read Your Own Palm
Learning to understand your hands and what each line represents can take years of commitment and practice. Some have a natural gift for it, but before you advertise your ability to read others' palms, you should become accustomed to reading your own.
Right and Left Hand
For those who are right-handed, the left hand will portray your potential and personality; whereas the right hand will show you what has changed, what will become, and pretty much gives you a little insight into your future. For those who are left-handed, the opposite is true. The reader will usually begin by studying the dominant hand to build a framework of the person's character and future.
By first figuring out the lines on your hands, you can start to learn which physical characteristics of the palm mirror your personality and lifestyle. A bit of practice on this and determining the length of the fingers will give you a more in-depth understanding of the art of palmistry. There are many palmistry books that make it easy to learn the tricks of the trade. This is where beginners who wish to learn more about this field start out.
Along with finger length, the shape of a hand can be split into the categories of earth, water, air, and fire. You can learn about the qualities and what the shape of your hand means by reading a palmistry book.
However, not all palm readers or fortune tellers use hand shape in their practice. It is not as necessary or common as other qualities of the hands, but some believe it to be a useful metric for palm reading. It will entirely depend on the reader's culture and their preferred method.
Criticism of Palmistry
Palmistry is not supported by everyone, and it gets a fair amount of criticism. As much as some truly believe in its power, others see palmistry as a trade for fake psychics.
There has not yet been a proven connection between the lines of the hand and an individual's personality. Nonetheless, this practice continues to be very important to many people.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.