Joanne has been writing about spirituality, dreams and psychic phenomenon online for over nine years.
Pendulums work by connecting with electrical impulses created by our subconscious minds. These influences cause the pendulum to move, and we can then read these movements to gain insight into the deepest parts of ourselves.
With a little practice, you will find your pendulum to be a constant source of connection to your inner-most-self.
What Can a Pendulum Be Made Of?
A pendulum can be made of crystal, brass, glass, wood, etc. In fact, any object (preferably with a point) that is able to be suspended will suffice.
If using a crystal pendulum, the shape and qualities resonate and bring in the energies of the Earth, and when combined with our own intuition and connection with spirit, we are able to receive messages from our inner source.
How Do I Select or Make a Pendulum?
When selecting a pendulum, follow your intuition and choose one that you like.
You can make a pendulum yourself if you take a thread and hang a weight on it, which can be any object you like. The thread can be 15–20cm long. Tie a knot in the thread at the length where the swing of the pendulum feels the best.
Pendulums can be teardrop, ball-shaped, conical, spiral, made from brass, copper, crystal, wood, ceramic, or just about anything else.
I’ve personally had many different beautiful pendulums over the years, but it is a small brass one that I always revert to as it has proven to be extremely accurate time and time again.
What Can I Use My Pendulum For?
There are many different types of pendulums, and they can be used for:
- healing specific illnesses
- adjusting chakras
- gleaning insight and answers to our deepest questions
- locating underground water or buried metals
- sending vibrational healing to humans, animals, and the Earth itself
- clearing negative energy fields and ley lines in our homes and environment.
You can place your pendulum directly over an object, question it, and test it. You may wish to test your water, medications, groceries, gemstones, or flower remedies to determine what therapies are good for you. You may even use it to decide on holiday destinations. You can test the energy of your home, evaluate your sleeping space, check for electromagnetic distress, etc. Experiment and see for yourself.
In order to work easier with the pendulum, you can work with charts, like the meditation techniques, colour, past and future life, homeopathy, aromatherapy oils, tea, or chakra chart, just to mention a few. These are able to be purchased, but they can also be made to suit your personal requirements.
How Do I Program and Test My Pendulum?
Your pendulum is a very personal item and should be seen as a sacred tool. It is often best to use the same pendulum for all your work, although in times of need any item can be programmed and used.
You can ask the pendulum any yes or no question, but you first have to determine what each pendulum movement means for you.
- Take a seated position at a desk or table.
- Place your feet flat on the floor and rest your elbow on the desk.
- Hold the pendulum by the end of the chain between your thumb and index finger.
- Make sure that your upper body and back are straight so that the energy can flow freely.
- Put your other hand flat on the table.
- Let your breath flow calmly.
- Make sure before you start that you will be not be distracted. **Do not use the pendulum when you are tired.**
- Ask your pendulum the questions, “What does a 'yes' look like?” and “What does a 'no' look like? The pendulum can move up-down, left-right or in a circle.
- Practice this several times a day for at least a week. Once you have determined your yes and no answers, do not deviate from it. You can test it but don’t change it.
When I ‘test’ my pendulum, I ask a question that I already know the answer to, such as, “Am I a woman in this lifetime?” (Yes). Then I ask, “Am I a man in this lifetime?” (No). I repeat this process with similar questions until I am 100% sure that my pendulum is answering accurately.
As time goes by, and you become more and more familiar with your pendulum, and it becomes more in-tune with your personal energies and vibrations, you will find that your pendulum will ‘pass the test’ quickly and easily.
When you have determined a clear yes and no, ask your pendulum how it swings for “I do not want to answer” or “I cannot answer that.”
You will become very proficient once you have a connection with your pendulum and know how it answers and its messages and symbols.
A correct answer will follow only when the question is asked in the right way.
How Do I Cleanse My Pendulum?
Before using your pendulum for the first time, it is important to cleanse it. It is advisable to cleanse your pendulum between use when working with clients or others.
Cleansing is a simple procedure that can take just a few moments. It can be done in ONE of the following ways:
- Briefly hold the crystal under a natural flowing stream
- Rub it with a soft cloth to which one drop of eucalyptus essential oil has been added.
- Place it on a piece of natural amethyst cluster.
- Place in on the Earth, either in your garden or in a potted plant.
- Leave it on a windowsill for 24 hours to enable the crystal to draw in the energies of the sun and the moon—day and night.
How Do I Use Charts With My Pendulum?
- Make a chart in a semi-circular shape.
- Divide the semi-circle into segments.
- Label each segment with different choices such as career paths, relationships, etc.
- Allow the pendulum to swing over the chart, guiding you to the solution or answer that is most suited to you.
- You can make charts representing which crystals to work with, which flower essences you may need, or the areas of your body that are causing disease or need healing.
- Put people’s names on a chart so that you can be guided to the best person to do activities with or who you resonate the best with for whatever desired reason.
Other Tips on Using Your Pendulum
- When first learning to use your pendulum, ask simple questions or queries.
- Remember to ask questions that only require a yes or no answer.
- Keep your questions as specific as possible.
- Try to keep your mind clear and your emotions neutral so that your answers are accurate and unbiased.
- When asking for numbers or dates, be sure to specify what the answer shall represent—e.g., days, weeks, months, etc.
- As your ability improves and through skillful questioning, you will gain the answers to more complex questions and problems.
- Cleanse your pendulum whenever you feel the need to, particularly if it has been touched or used by other people.
- Be creative—make different movements for different signals and answers. (Remember though to re-program your pendulum each time you create a new movement).
In time, you will find your pendulum to be a trustworthy and reliable source of inner wisdom and sacred knowledge.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Wren on April 27, 2020:
Should I do a protection spell before using a pendulum? If I do, what is a good protection spell?
Unknown on October 31, 2019:
I personally like to start with "Show me yes." And then "Show me no" seeing as it is a good, and easy was to get the answer quickly. Another thing, I've just gotten an amethyst pendulum, beautiful. When I first held it, it felt warm. Pure. I got this tingling feeling where the pendulum touched my skin. And just today, I got a black obsidian pendulum. When I first held it, the pendulum was cold. It felt corrupt. The chain had a tight knot in it that took hours to get undone. So that is why I've come to this page. Hoping I can find some way to cleans my pendulum of the negative energy and/or negative spirit that is attached to it. I
Ciara on July 01, 2018:
Can you cleanse a pendulum in fresh water that’s natural. Cause I’m going to a place called Lake Tahoe and I’m wondering if I can cleanse it there.
Ruby Chirak on June 16, 2018:
Do I have to be a experienced witch in spells to use a pendulum?
Janie48 on October 11, 2017:
I have just received my Amethyst Sphere Pendulum. And its beautiful. I'm just getting used to using it, as I've not had one before. I've established the yes and no with my pendulum and the questions I asked were spot on. I've yet to ask more questions, more personal to find out what the answers are.
Dana on September 26, 2016:
I went to a psychic last week. I felt a desperate need to talk to my son. He took away my amethyst pendulum which I knew had to be cleansed. He gave me a rose quartz pendulum and said the amethyst was blocking spiritual waves from coming to me. I regularly talked to my guardian angel using my amethyst. The rose quartz feels hollow and empty of energy. I don't understand.....
Joanne Sacred Scribes (author) from Victoria, Australia on April 16, 2013:
Thanks GwennyOh, I'm pleased that you liked my Hub.
GwennyOh on April 16, 2013:
I am working with a pendulum nowadays too, they are handy tools. I find it odd that as you say, one pendulum will be accurate for me, whereas another will not.
You have written an informative article here. Ggreat job!
Joanne Sacred Scribes (author) from Victoria, Australia on December 17, 2012:
Hi Ruchira, I am also a Reiki practitioner and find it very quick and easy to use a pendulum in lots of different circumstances. Give it a try :)
Ruchira from United States on December 17, 2012:
Being a reiki practioner, I find working with pendulum a challenge. Will ponder in these tips.
Mitch on April 24, 2012:
Precy, hate to rain on your parade, but none of this is due to the pendulum having powers or anything (just hear me out for a second, and PLEASE don't get angry). SCIENTIFICALLY (not saying that the supernatural doesn't exist, just that this is an explained phenomenon), what you are experiencing is known as the ideomotor effect. Your hand makes microscopic movements, causing the pendulum to swing in the direction you subconsciously want it to. Everything you experience, all the answers you receive, you already knew. And I'm not saying to stop using the pendulum, just know that your responses don't come from the supernatural.
precy anza from USA on March 09, 2012:
Love this hub! I had a crystal pendulum for almost 2 years now. And glad I have it, and somehow it makes me wonder like it is more happy to give me answers about my relationship, than other questions I ask.
Lada on February 14, 2012:
I have bought my first Crystal Pendulum today. I find your information about it very good and helpful. Thank you!