Tarot Spells and Rituals
Into tarot? Want to use it to make your life even more wowzing than it is already? Need a spell, a ritual? Want more money, a better job or a relationship with that cute guy you keep bumping into at the mall? Here is all the information you need to create your own life-improving tarot spells and rituals.
Why Use Tarot Anyway?
First of all, you’re probably asking what’s the point of all this jiggery-pokery, tarot ritual stuff? Why should you bother? After all, what happens will happen and there’s not much you can do about it. Actually, that’s not true. As a real live human being, you have the capability to mold energy, to create the life of your dreams and manifest anything you want. The problem is, that you have been brought up otherwise. You believe you are small, with no influence - yet, the opposite is true. You are a powerful creator. You don’t even need these tarot spells and rituals to help you achieve all that you desire. So why use them?
Well, I’ve been using tarot for years and one thing that I have learned is that among many other attributes, tarot images are powerful energy focus tools. Imagine that the image on the card is transparent and acts like an incredibly powerful magnifying glass. Instead of simply making something appear larger, the tarot lens is able to magnify your intention. Not only that, it magnifies your intention through its own particular set of attributes.
Tools and Paraphernalia Required
Yourself and a tarot deck is all you need for the ritual. An ability to visualize is also helpful. Prior to beginning the ritual, you will need pen and paper to write down your intention.
Determine the Outcome of the Tarot Ritual
You have probably already decided what it is you want to accomplish, but do spend some time clarifying your intention before you begin. Don’t be too vague, but don’t be too specific either.
For instance, say you’d like to increase the flow of money into your life. You may have a figure in mind, which is fine, but don’t restrict your desire to that figure. You could set the intention to bring in a thousand dollars or more. That ‘or more’ is important. Also beware of asking for something you couldn’t possibly believe you will get. Like a billion dollars - that figure would seem well out of reach for most people.
As you play with the idea of what you want in your mind, let the picture of what it would mean to you develop. See the benefits of your desire enhancing your life. Visualization is a great way to explore the possibilities.
So you’ve determined that a thousand bucks is just what you need right now. You’ve pictured that bill getting paid, or that car repair completed, or all the lovely new clothes in your closet. Now write it down…
“I command the universe to bring me what I desire: $1,000 or more, in whatever way is appropriate and harms no-one.” Keep the piece of paper for later. Use this format for your other rituals:
- “I command the universe removes *name* from my awareness, in whatever way is appropriate and harms no-one.”
- “I command the universe to bring me that promotion, in whatever way is appropriate and harms no-one.”
Basic Tarot Spell Ritual
You don’t have to learn a whole complex set of rituals for every tarot spell you do. You can learn this one basic ritual and then adapt it for anything you like.
- Step 1. Clear your mind for spell work.
- Step 2. Cleanse your space.
- Step 3. Purify your cards.
Clearing your mind to begin a tarot ritual, is as simple as clarifying your intention to do so. Sit comfortably. Relax by taking three deep breaths. Drop your shoulders as you exhale. You won’t be able to quiet the mind completely. This is not a meditation, but a method of reconnecting to your spirit, soul, inner being, sub-conscious. Continue to breathe mindfully and visualize your whole body bathed in white light. Rest there a moment, feeling energy flow through you. Now move on to cleansing your ritual space.
Cleanse your space by physically ensuring that that the place where you are working is tidy and clear of clutter - it is best to do this before you start the ritual preparation. Hold your hands above the table or desk and visualize that white light flowing through you down to your hands and out around the space. Two minutes or so and it’s done.
Sit down at your table with your tarot cards. Remove them from their nesting place (bag or box) and place them face down before you. Hold your hands over the deck and breathe deeply three times. Visualize bathing the cards in that streaming white light. Imagine them glowing with energy beneath your hands. Again, two minutes of visualization and it’s done.
As you practice more, the ritual preparation time will only take five or six minutes, but you should take as long as you need to. Some people enjoy the sensation of flowing cleansing energy, so revel in it.
Perform the Ritual
- Have your written intention nearby. Read it again, and rekindle the visions you had while clarifying your desire.
- Now go through the deck of cards, slowly and deliberately. Pull out any that seem to resonate with your desire. Set the remaining cards aside.
- Go through your chosen cards, and find the one which most reflects your current desire. You can leave the others face up where you can see them - their energy will help.
- Place the card next to your written intention. Mentally lift the transparent image and allow it to hover over the paper. This might take a little practice. If it helps, close your eyes. Tip: get yourself a copy of the - it’s a nifty deck to use in ritual. Transparent Tarot
- Begin to flow the brilliant white light once more. Imagine the tarot image as a lens which focuses the beam of light onto the paper. Allow the light to expand and flow over you and your cards. Feel the energy shift and move through you while you think about your wish. Say aloud, “As I state my desire to receive one thousand dollars, or more, so must it be.” Remain in the flow until it begins to fade away.
That’s it, the ritual is finished. You can end it formally by burning, burying or tearing up the paper. Mentally give thanks and appreciation for all that you have already. Place your cards back in their nest. Feel good knowing you have initiated a chain of events which will culminate in your desire becoming manifest. Know that it is done.
Now go sit quietly, have a drink or eat something in order to ground yourself.
Enhancing the Tarot Ritual
So that was the basic ritual. Anyone can do it. It’s not witchcraft (though it can be if you wish). There’s nothing evil in it. All you are doing is using tarot cards to focus energy and intent.
You can enhance the ritual any way you choose. You might want to begin with a mineral bath. Music and incense are also useful for creating a special magical atmosphere. You could light a certain color of candle to place on your working table:
Type of Tarot Spell
Red or Orange
Working With Moon Phases
Your rituals can be intensified even more if you align them with the phases of the moon. Simply stated, any ritual which is aimed at increase, such as attracting love or money, should be carried out during a waxing (growing) moon. Anything that is aimed at decrease, such as losing weight, getting rid of disease, or banishing a certain someone from your life is best carried out during a waning (shrinking) moon.
You can get quite specific with moon phases. For instance, if you are wanting to start a business, then carry out a new business successful launch ritual at New Moon. If you want to get pregnant, then Full Moon is the best time.
Select the Right Card: Minor Arcana
It’s a good idea to be aware of the energy of the cards in order to select the right one. However, you don’t need to know the tarot to be able to use it in ritual. You will instinctively choose the right cards by looking at the images.
I can’t go into depth regarding the attributes of all the cards, but it’s enough to know that the numbered cards, the Minor Arcana: Ace to 10, are connected to a certain element.
- Wands/Staves - Fire: action, inspiration, passion, hobbies. All the things you like to do.
- Swords - Air: anything to do with the intellect: ideas, communication, technology, messages, the concepts of truth and vision. All stuff that goes on in your head.
- Cups - Water: emotions and feelings. Anything to do with romantic love, empathy, intuition. All the things that you feel, whether it be happiness or sadness and everything in between.
- Pentacles/Disks/Coins - Earth: the material world. Anything to do with money, career, your home, and your body/health.
The four tarot aces are powerful conduits of the pure energy of their suit. Use them when you want to bring new beginnings and fresh energy.
Working With the Major Arcana
The Major Arcana are different and even more powerful, so be careful when using them. Here are some suggestions:
- The Fool: for experiencing wonder and attracting sweet surprises.
- The Magician: to increase personal power.
- The High Priestess: to develop intuition.
- The Empress: for pregnancy and abundance rituals.
- The Emperor: to bring order and structure. To develop leadership.
- The Hierophant: to find a guide or mentor.
- The Lovers: for love and marriage.
- The Chariot: to gain control, to gain clarity and cement goals.
- Strength: to enhance inner strength, to deal with a difficult situation.
- The Hermit: for self understanding, introspection and learning about human psychology.
- The Wheel of Fortune: use with another appropriate card to bring radical change.
- Justice: to bring a successful conclusion to any legal matter. To bring fairness to an unfair situation.
- Hanged Man: to slow down fast moving events. To gain more time.
- Death: to bring an unwanted situation to a close.
- Temperance: to calm a tempest (arguments), to find balance, to restore good habits.
- The Tower: to create havoc, to place a curse, to cause trouble (not recommended).
- The Star: to promote love in families, to bring hope, peace and serenity.
- The Moon: to increase psychic powers.
- The Sun: to attract life improvement, to heal, to bring happiness and contentedness.
- Judgment: to discover your calling, to find your life path.
- The World: to ensure you are where you are meant to be. To bring opportunity. To begin again.
You can use a Major Arcana card in conjunction with a Minor Arcana to create a very powerful ritual. You will visualize the two images melding and merging above your written intent. Only try this once you have become familiar with the simple form of the ritual described above.
The Court Cards
Useful in many situations, the Court Cards can represent actual people, character traits that you’d like to adopt, when you want to bring two people together, when you want action taken, etcetera. Here are the basic characteristics of each court card. You can expand and build on them if you like.
- Page of Wands - Young adventurer, messenger, enthusiastic, bright, active.
- Knight of Wands - Entrepreneur, temperamental, unguided missile.
- Queen of Wands - Independent, vivacious, passionate, fun-loving, career-minded, sometimes wayward.
- King of Wands - Leader. Strong, charismatic, believable.
- Page of Cups - Explorer of feelings and the human condition. Gentle child, artistic, easy-going.
- Knight of Cups - Lover, romancer, self-absorbed, attracted by the superficial.
- Queen of Cups - Intuitive, empathic, emotional, feeling-based, nurturing.
- King of Cups - Introvert, kind, generous, in touch with own emotions.
- Page of Swords - Carrier of messages and ideas, inventor, inquisitive thinker.
- Knight of Swords - Justice warrior, spirited, clever, witty, snarky.
- Queen of Swords - Truth-seeker, sharp, focused, honest, nit-picky.
- King of Swords - Intellectual, professional, excellent communicator.
- Page of Pentacles - Student, seeker, reasonable, feet on the ground, likes to know all the details.
- Knight of Pentacles - Trustworthy, loyal, silent-type. Hard worker, dedicated, peaceful. Hidden depths.
- Queen of Pentacles - Practical, pragmatic, carer, home-loving, sensible, frugal.
- King of Pentacles - Business leader, self-made, enjoys luxury, family oriented.
Suggested Cards for Specific Desires
To attract love:
Ace of Cups, Two of Cups, Lovers
To get a new job:
Ace of Pentacles, Seven of Pentacles. Magician
To take your career to the next level:
Eight of Pentacles, Six of Wands
To get a promotion:
Three of Pentacles, Six of Wands
To receive a windfall:
Ace of Pentacles and Wheel of Fortune together
To make friends:
Three of Cups
To improve mental health:
Page of Swords, Ace of Swords, Six of Swords
To heal an illness:
Queen of Cups, Two of Pentacles
To relieve a long-term condition:
To develop psychic abilities:
The High Priestess, Two of Swords, The Moon
To pass an exam
Ace of Pentacles, Eight of Pentacles, Six of wands
To find a new home:
Ace of Pentacles, Four of Wands
To have a child:
The Empress, Queen of Pentacles, Ace of Wands, Six of Cups
To get married:
The Hierophant, Four of Wands, Ten of Cups
To bring peace to a home:
The Star, Temperance
© 2017 Bev