The Most Effective Ways to Clear Your Oracle Cards for Accurate Readings
What Are the Most Effective Ways to Clear an Oracle Deck?
We will explore several ways to effectively clear your oracle cards in order to receive improved readings as well as how to store and protect them.
Below you will find a few easy methods for cleansing oracle card decks to remove negative energy attained through previous readings or natural causes. If your intuitive readings seem to be off lately, this will help. Although I believe this has more to do with our own intuition and blocks, clearing them in this way helps you get tuned in to your cards and clears away the cloudy negativity preventing you from achieving the accurate readings you are used to. If you regularly use only one method of clearing, or prefer using a cleansing prayer but think you could use an extra boost, this will most likely help with that. Sometimes it's better to change up and get help from nature. The moon and her loving lunar energy are a wondrous power that can lend her sprightliness to your readings helping you transform them from a dull and lifeless to an assertively accurate one.
Most Effective Tools for Cleansing:
- Clear Quartz
How to Clear an Oracle Deck Using a Pendulum
Pendulums are divination tools, but can also be used for many things such as clearing the Chakras. Pendulums can also clear your oracle or tarot decks of negative energy. Using this method is one of the fastest ways to clear your decks before use, a great choice if you are planning to use them right away and want to clear your deck fast.
I recommend clearing your pendulum first. This helps to clear it of any earlier intentions. You can do this with a white sage smudge stick or by saying a cleansing prayer and then set your intention to clear your deck. It wouldn't hurt to send a little sage smoke over your deck either. Just be careful to never hold the smudge stick over your deck because you could drop a few burning ashes over them and burn your cards. I've done this before I know. It was not a happy moment.
Instructions for Clearing Your Oracle Deck:
- Hold your pendulum in your hand and over your deck.
- Allow the pendulum to drop holding the lob.
- Your pendulum will be moving. Allow it to move in any direction only giving the intention to clear your oracle deck.
- When the pendulum slows and stops your oracle cards are now cleared of unwanted resistance and energies and are ready for use.
Using Sunlight and Clear Quartz
First, let's enthuse awhile about why using the sunlight works. When using the Sun to clear our divination tools, we are asking the Sun to clear and energize our tools with its solar energy. The Sun's solar energy is very energizing with its element of fire. The fire element is also known for its cleansing power. Just think about how we purify our drinking water in great need. We boil it using a fire on the stove. So using the Sun to clear our oracle cards will work similarly except we are using a safer method, The Sun. The Sun will clear and then also energize our cards hopefully giving us a more accurate and sometimes brighter reading in my opinion. Of course, this could just be my own interpretation and intuition getting involved. Oracle cards have many ways of leading us to the answers we seek. Why not the brightest most cheerful way possible? A special note here though if your readings still appear to be more negative it may have more to do with the subject or person you are reading for. You may want to ask how can you turn this around and what solutions are revealed.
Clearing Your Oracle Cards With Solar Energy From the Sun:
I prefer to do this with my cards exposed face up. I feel leaving the most vulnerable side up takes the shield off and prepares for removing blocks. I never do this method with my cards still in their protective case. So you may need a weight when you aren't planning to use a quartz crystal that is heavy enough to hold them down and possibly being blown by the wind. You can also set your cards on your windowsill where they will get plenty of the Sun's exposure and not exposed to the wind or rain. This will allow your cards to stay protected but still be cleaned from the Solar rays.
- Place your deck face up either on the windowsill or outside for at least 2-3 hours.
- Use a clear quartz crystal to place on top. The quartz crystal is known for amplifying energy. In this case, it will amplify the Sun's Solar Energy allowing the cleansing to be magnified and more powerful. (If not using a clear quartz crystal I suggest leaving your cards for about eight hours or Sunrise to Sunset)
- If you would like to, you can say a cleansing affirmation to give intention to this process.
You can say, "I cleanse and charge you now with the help of the Sun's solar light, releasing you of all negative energy throughout all time and space, the past, present, and future. You are now bright and beautiful once more attuned to our highest good."
Introduction to Oracle Cards and Other Ways to Cleanse Your Deck
What Should Beginners Know About Using and Clearing Oracle Decks?
If you are new to oracle cards or have used tarot as your form of divination, I believe the video above will be of great use to you. The presenter explains a few of the differences between decks as well as why you may want to try using oracle decks. She also gives a few alternative quick ways to cleanse your oracle decks.
Most oracle decks come with an instructional booklet. I do suggest reading those. They give a prayer or cleansing method to use before using your deck. I highly suggest beginning with those and then after you are a little more comfortable, try out a few other methods of using sage or incense to help keep your deck clear. I know this video will help you and give you some contrast on what types of methods you can use to clear your deck and a brief introduction to using oracle decks and how to choose the right oracle deck for you.
Using the Moon's Lunar Energy
What kind of energy or feeling do you get when you think of the moon? This can be important to think about when deciding which method to choose when clearing your oracle deck. The Sun's solar energy is a fire element and therefore I think of fast or instant, while the moon I think of as the opposite. The moon is a slow calming energy usually thought of at nighttime when it's time to rest or sleep. I also think of slower energy being more accurate while fast or instant could mean more mistakes.
The Moon's lunar energy is known for her wisdom guiding us in our dreams. Her energy is calming and slow, motherly like. The moon can help clear your oracle deck just as effectively as the Sun. Since the Moon's energy is slower, I recommend at least three to seven days of clearing your oracle decks. Since the Full Moon is when the Lunar energy is at its greatest, this is the time to put your oracle cards out for a good long cleansing, helping to invite wisdom and allow your cards to be more accurate. Your cards will absorb her loving wisdom and provide you with confidence in your readings. If these are the attributes that you're looking for you have found the correct cleansing for your deck.
- The Lunar energy will be at its strongest during a full moon. So you will want to place your deck on your windowsill or outside, protected from the rain of course; at least three days before the full moon and 3 days after. The Full Moon's energy is still active and is at its strongest during those days. Take note that if you clear and charge your deck regularly and are working with your oracle deck constantly this method is unnecessary. Do this when you feel it could use a long tune-up and love from the moon.
- Place a clear quartz, known for its universal energy, meaning it can be used in place of other crystals with the properties and attributes you desire, on top of your deck. This will help to amplify the moons energy. If you have a Moonstone this will be perfect for help with clearing your deck. The Moonstone stimulates confidence and balances the emotions, encourages intuitiveness and perception and enhances the feminine energy. The Moonstone can be used to also enhance the moon's lunar energy and aid in clearing your deck while also imbuing confidence and intuitiveness that you can draw from while using your deck. It can also help to wear moonstone while doing your readings. Moonstone is great for this.
- Because you will be putting your deck out for three or more days it is important that you bring in your decks during the day or at least cover your deck with a cloth to give it a rest. You can also return your cards to their box and then bring them out again the next night when the moon is rising.
Poll: Clearing your Oracle Deck
Which method of these methods is your favorite for clearing your oracle decks?
How to Store and Protect Your Oracle Cards
You should pay attention to how you store and handle your oracle cards. Work with your deck regularly and clear them as often as possible especially when using them to read for others. Taking care of your deck helps you create a relationship with your cards and helps you connect with them more easily each time you do this. Protecting your decks when not in use is important.
Protecting Your Oracle Cards:
- Always keep them covered when you are away from them and not intending to use them.
- Store them where they won't be harmed by the elements, humidity, and wind where they can get blown and damaged, near the fire where they can be burned and especially water.
- Protecting your cards from negative energies or outside influence is also important. When not in use you can store them in their protective case or in a sacred box. You can place protective crystals and stones either inside the box with your cards, around the outside of the box or even adorn the box with these stones.
Crystals and Stones I Recommend for Protection:
- Black Tourmaline: known as the protection stone; wards off fear and negativity and protects on all levels. Enhances inspiration and encourages self-confidence and understanding.
- Obsidian: Grounds, protects and shields against negativity. Aids in the understanding and clearing of subconscious blocks. Note that Obsidian is one of the more powerful protective stones and I use it rarely and prefer Black Tourmaline especially when wearing it on the body. I feel at times Obsidian can be too much and have noticed a change in my readings. I do highly encourage experimenting and using your own judgment. Through working with your decks and crystals you begin to form an unspoken language that guides you well once you are accustomed to listening to your inner guidance system. It is important to keep a notebook of your thoughts while using your crystals and oracle decks so that you don't miss these subtle thoughts and can increase your effectiveness while using them.
- Clear Quartz: The Energy Stone; Excellent for meditation, amplifies energy and thought. Dispels negativity, receives stores and transmits energy. Aids communication with every dimension. The clear quartz crystal is the most used crystal because it can take the place of any crystal that you do not have in your collection. Your intention is key when using clear quartz. Be very clear about what you want. Take some time to meditate on your desired outcome before proceeding to use clear quartz in place of another stone.
- Snowflake Obsidian: Brings purity and balance on all levels. Encourages understanding and realignment of thought patterns.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
© 2014 Maurice Glaude