Claire has worked with crystals and many other aspects of paganism for over 14 years. She has also studied reiki up to master level.
3 Divinatory Methods to Combine With Crystals
There are many forms of divination that can easily integrate the use of crystals. In this article, we cover how to use crystals in the following divinatory ways:
- Yes/No Questions
- Yes/No Questions With Multiple Crystals/Associations
- Scrying With Crystals
How to Use Crystals in Divination
There are several approaches to using crystals in divination. You may feel particularly drawn to one, or you may find that different methods suit different needs. The crystals you choose for divination can depend on the method used, but they do not need to be large, expensive or rare varieties to be effective. For some methods, correspondences are important to consider as they help in understanding the messages you are being given. As with all aspects of crystal work, these can be taken from books and other informational sources or can be based on your intuition and experiences with a particular stone.
Once you have chosen your crystals, they will need to be cleaned to remove any energy they have accumulated before coming to you. This can be carried out in many ways, but care must be taken with some stones as they are more easily damaged than others. Placing crystals in the moonlight is a simple and effective way to cleanse any stone without harm. Once they are cleansed, your crystals will then need to be charged with your intention before you use them as a divination tool.
1. Yes/No Questions and Answers
Crystals can be used in simple yes/no divination. All that is required is a set of six crystals—black and white crystals are a common choice, but this is not essential. Raw or tumbled crystals of any size can be used, but note that this method requires the crystals to be mixed together and shaken. Consider whether you think your raw crystals could be at risk for damage. Crystals of any size or crystal beads can be used successfully in this method of divination. The only requirement is that they are all of a similar size and shape in order to avoid conscious or subconscious selection of certain stones to influence the answer to your question.
To perform this simple practice, place three white and three black stones in a pouch or small bag, then shake the bag to mix them up. Now close your eyes and focus on your question, stating it out loud if you wish. When ready and without looking, select three crystals from the bag. Pick them out one at a time and allow their energy to guide you during the selection process. Your answer is read depending on the crystals selected:
- All white – yes
- All black – no
- Two white, one black – probably yes
- Two black, one white – probably no
2. Multi-Crystal Set
This approach builds on the yes/no method and is carried out using a larger set of crystals, with each being assigned an individual meaning. Like with yes/no readings, the crystals should all be of similar size and shape. The crystals are all placed into a bag, shaken and chosen based on how their energy guides you. In this form of crystal divination, answers can be gained by drawing one crystal and applying its meaning to your question. Alternatively, several crystals can be drawn and their meanings combined. The number of crystals used varies, as do some of their associated meanings. Some people feel that a larger set can provide more accurate answers to your questions, but as with so many things in life, more is not always best. Go with what feels right for you. There is also no harm in starting with a small set and adding to it as you feel is needed.
You may wish to assign meaning to your stones based on your experiences with each particular crystal or its metaphysical properties. Alternatively, you can also find divinatory meanings of crystals in some books and online. Some commonly assigned meanings include:
Read More From Exemplore
- Amazonite – Now is a good time for new starts and new adventures. Your life is expanding, and you are in a strong position to stand up for what you believe in.
- Amber – You must first decide what it is you truly want. Be careful of what you may be giving up. Are you gaining?
- Aquamarine – You do not have to wait for the ideal time or opportunity. Now is fine.
- Heliotrope (bloodstone) – Perseverance is needed, but do not act impulsively. You can get what you need if you stand your ground and remain focused.
- Blue Lace Agate – Expect communication around the issue soon. You may need to open up communication and express the feelings in your heart.
- Carnelian – Do not settle for second best. Allow joy, love and creativity into your life and seek balance.
- Citrine – Peace and prosperity. Communicate your ideas with warmth and honesty and they will be favourably received.
- Clear Quartz – Stay honest and focus on your goals. Information will come to light that will bring clarity and fresh perspectives.
- Hematite – Don’t feel pressured by others to go against your instincts or ignore your wants and needs.
- Labradorite – Be careful what you wish for as you may just get it. A change of circumstances may be needed to achieve what you want.
- Lapis Lazuli – Slow down and learn more before acting. Your efforts will be noticed.
- Malachite – It’s time to let go of the past and move towards your goals and desires.
- Moonstone – Go with the flow and try not to force any issues. Do not be afraid to speak the truth in your heart.
- Pyrite – Be mindful of any deceit or deception that may occur or that has already happened. Look beyond the surface as things may not be as they seem.
- Rose Quartz – Look to your friends, family and partners for support. Forgive your past mistakes and do not accept blame for other people’s actions and inadequacies.
- Rutilated Quartz – Everything is coming together. Do not be afraid to reach out to others for help or advice.
- Tiger’s Eye – Good luck is on its way. New projects or beginnings will succeed, but need focus and persistence.
- Tree Agate – Getting to the root of the problem will help you find answers. It's a good time to strengthen your roots.
- Snowflake Obsidian – Things are becoming clearer, and you will soon see the truth of the situation. You will make a wise choice.
- Unakite – You may feel uncertain, but going backwards will only cause the same problems to reoccur.
Scrying has been practised for thousands of years and involves gazing into a reflective surface and interpreting the images that arise. These may be literal or symbolic and may appear in the crystal or in your mind. Many people are familiar with polished crystal spheres being used in scrying, but a flat surface can also be used. Clear quartz is a popular choice of stone for this practice, but others can be used.
Scrying can be performed to gain insight into a specific question or to access more general information that will benefit your life. Follow these steps:
- While working with your crystal sphere, you should sit comfortably so you can easily gaze into it. One way of doing this is to place the sphere on a table and sit on a chair.
- Close your eyes and place your hands over the ball.
- Focus on the question or issue you would like information on.
- Breathe slowly and deeply for a few minutes.
- Once you feel relaxed and tuned into the crystal, open your eyes and gaze into the centre of the sphere. Pay close attention to any flashes of images, feelings or words that surface and any details relating to these. These may appear within the sphere but may also come through as thoughts or via Clair abilities that you possess. For example, if you see a person or people, what are their surroundings like? Do they seem happy or sad? Do you know them? If so, how is your relationship with them? Try to note as much information as you can, such as colours, shapes or specific animals. For example, if you see a bird, is it a robin, crow or blackbird? These details can help bring a better understanding of what is being communicated.
It takes practice to be able to receive this type of information and to be able to discern the difference between your thoughts and wishes and information that is coming from outside you. With time and practice, this will become easier, as will your interpretation of the scryed information. If you struggle to remember details or multiple pieces of information, you may find it helps to use a tape recorder. This allows you to talk through the images, feelings and anything else you perceive during a scrying session. This way you can listen back over it later and as many times as you like. You may also like to journal your findings after each session. If messages do not seem clear or relevant, you may find it helps to research symbolism and correspondences associated with what you received. For example, you may find it useful to research spirit animals, animal symbolism or colour psychology.
What Is Divination?
The word "divination" comes from the Latin divinare, which means to foresee, foretell, predict or prophesy. Divination is a tool that can help us to better understand ourselves, as well as our past, present and future. There are many forms of divination that have been used throughout history all over the world. Although divination does not predict the future, it can still help us gain information about what may happen if we continue along the path we are currently on. It can be used to gain clarity and insight into the most beneficial actions that can be taken at any given time or to receive answers to specific questions.
Divination can be used to gain information about ourselves, others and any situation we find ourselves in. It can also be used to gather information before performing spell work and other rituals. When used in this way, divination may provide details that aid the work, or it may supply reasons why we should or should not continue it. Introspection and intuition are believed to play a part in divination practices as they enable us to connect to our higher consciousness with a clear and focused mind. This allows us to see a situation with greater perspective and clarity.
The answers and information gleaned through divination can be dependent on the method used. For example, a common form of pendulum divination is to ask the pendulum a question and read the answer by deciphering which way the pendulum swings afterwards. This is a simple method that can be performed using a weighted item hanging from a chain or cord. However, it is limited in the information that it can provide. Each question must be clearly worded and be able to be answered in basic terms such as yes, no or maybe. More complex forms of divination, such as reading tarot or oracle cards, can provide a larger amount of information and insight, but can be more difficult to learn and practice. This may make it seem as though some forms of divination are better than others, but this isn’t the case—what is most important is for you to feel comfortable and happy with the method that you choose and to build your skills to gain the insights you require.
Types of Divination
There are many methods of divination that can be learned and practised. While some people work with several methods, many have a preference for one style and use this for all their divination needs. Some forms of divination, such as tarot, runes and tea leaves are well known (even in mainstream circles), but there are many more divination tools and methods, each of which have their own unique benefits. Some common methods of divination used in magical practices include:
- Pendulum reading
- Tarot cards
- Oracle cards
- Tea leaf reading
- Rune casting
- Reading bones
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Claire