Interpreting Your Personal Love Dreams
Dreams have the power to teach us much about our waking lives. Once you've learned to understand them, they can tell us what's happened, what's happening, and what is going to happen. They connect us to the other side and offer us insight that we can't get anywhere else.
Your dreams will never lie to you as long as you know how to listen to them.
I've found that my dreams offer the best relationship and personal advice that I could ever ask for, and I'm positive that once you know how to interpret them, yours will too!
Common Relationship-Dream Symbols
Dreams about relationships (past, present, and future) are incredibly common, but that doesn't mean they can't be incredibly confusing! Sometimes we take these dreams at face value, but much of the time they are really pointing to some other area of our lives.
In this article, we will discuss dreams about the following topics:
- Someone You Love
- Your Ex(es)
- Saying or Hearing "I Love You"
- Sex and Hooking Up
- Cheating or Being Cheated On
At the bottom of this article, you will also find information about learning how to interpret your own dreams, such as keeping a dream journal and meditating.
Your Dream Interpretations Are Unique to YOU
Before we dig into any specific dream interpretations, it's important to take a step back and remember that we are all unique individuals with unique life experiences. We do not all view things in the same way in our waking lives, so why should it be that way in our dreams? We all look at certain symbols in dreams and associate them with something different.
Sit back and think about what you associate certain things with. Don't overthink it! Just write down what comes to mind first. For instance, here are a few of my associations:
- Parent's Home—Conflict or Turmoil
- Grandpa's Home—Comfort
When you are interpreting your dreams, keep all of your own personal dream symbols in mind. The truth will resonate with you when you see or hear it.
Below, you will find some general interpretations in regards to feelings, sights, and emotions in relationship-related dreams. Before we start, rest assured that these are very common dreams that we all have.
Remember to listen to your inner self when trying to interpret your dreams. What are your feelings during the dream and upon waking? Are you happy? Anxious? Confused? Understanding these emotions will be a huge help in interpreting what dreams do or don't mean for you personally.
What Does It Mean When You Dream About Someone You Love?
Dreams about people you love are quite common—our parents, siblings, and closest friends often make appearances in our lives' little nighttime "movies." But what about romantic love? What does it mean when you dream about a partner (past or present) who you love dearly?
If you're having positive dreams about someone you are in a relationship with, that can be a great sign. These dreams may be an indicator that you have a deep bond with your partner and feel fulfilled in your relationship. They may also indicate that you love yourself just as deeply—which is a key component of love with any other person—so well done, you!
For not-so-positive dreams about people you love (e.g. seeing your ex with someone new or catching your partner cheating on you), continue scrolling and don't be afraid; as unfun as these dreams may be, they can actually reflect positively on what's going on in your waking life.
Note: It's important to recognize the line between love and obsession. If you're dreaming about this person every night and they hardly know your name, it's high time to back off and get a hold of yourself. This isn't healthy for you
Dreams About Your Ex
As unnerving as it can be, dreaming about your ex is totally normal. But before you start panicking about why the dude who broke your heart just showed up in your dream, take heart in the fact that these dreams have everything to do with what's going on with you, and squat to do with your ex.
Seeing Your Ex in a Dream
To dream of an ex can symbolize unfinished or unresolved issues that relate to that person. I think we've all dreamt that at times. This may happen even thought you are in a good relationship—your lingering issues and memories are just choosing to surface in your dreams.
If you dream about seeing a recent ex, it's likely that your subconscious is trying to help you process the breakup. Now it's your turn to figure out why—are you holding on to anger, guilt, resentment, hope? Whatever it is, use this nudge from your subconscious to try to work through the breakup in your waking life.
Dreaming about seeing an ex can also indicate that you've recently met someone who reminds you of your ex (or reminds you of how you felt when your ex was around). On a simpler level, it could mean you're reflecting on the good times the two of you shared.
Seeing Your Ex With Someone Else in a Dream
Oof. This one can really hurt. In good news, this can indicate that you're coming to terms with the fact that things are really over between you and your ex and that life will go on for both of you. In not-so-good news, this can indicate that you're having a hard time letting things go and are still too focused on your ex. If you suspect this might be the case, try to take some time in your waking life to process the relationship and truly accept the breakup.
Dreaming About Getting Back Together With Your Ex
This one usually doesn't feel too good either, but don't worry—while this kind of dream might stem from real longing, it can just as easily be brought about by changes you're experiencing in your current relationship. Did you just get serious with a new partner? That's a major change, and your unconscious mind might just need a little time to process (albeit in a strange and frustrating way).
Marrying Your Ex in a Dream
Surprisingly enough, this is a very positive dream, as it suggests that you've come to terms with the relationship (including the breakup) and learned from your mistakes. This is especially pertinent if you are in a new relationship, as it is a signal that you know not to make those same mistakes again.
Dreaming About Hooking Up With Your Ex
This kind of dream might indicate that you still have some lingering feelings for your ex or that you have some hesitation about getting into a new relationship or situation. Totally normal!
If you're already in a committed relationship, dreaming about having sex with your ex might indicate that your needs aren't being fully met by your current partner. But if you assess your relationship and find that you feel happy and satisfied, the dream was probably just a fluke.
Dreaming About Your Ex Apologizing to and Missing You
However real it might feel to hear "I'm so sorry," "I miss you," or "I wish we were back together," dreams about your ex missing you and wanting you back are more likely to reflect what you want and the possibilities that you wish the two of you had explored. Did things end poorly or before you felt ready to say goodbye?
As tempting as it is to entertain thoughts that maybe your ex really does want you back, your subconscious is urging you to do the opposite. Dreams like this may indicate that as hard as it is, you need to put any hopes you may have harbored about the two of you getting back together to bed for good (pun intended).
Dreaming About Your Ex Breaking Up With You Again
If this dream is coming in the wake of a recent breakup, this is just your subconscious's way of processing lingering trauma. Dreams like this are even more likely if you continue to find yourself thinking about your ex, about the breakup, about why things ended and whether they really had to. Thoughts from our waking lives seep into our dreams, so if you find yourself agonizing over every detail of the breakup while you're awake, rehashing it in your sleep is only natural.
If, however, you're dreaming that a long-ago ex is breaking up with you all over again, it may indicate that you're experiencing feelings of rejection in your waking life. Whether you got turned down for a job or found out your crush is dating someone else, feelings of rejection in your day-to-day life might lead to dreams that evoke those same feelings.
Spending Time With Your Ex's Family in a Dream
If you were close with your ex's family and spent a lot of time with them, dreaming about hanging out with them after you and your ex have split can mean that you miss the comfort of your old routine. These dreams should become rarer as time goes on and that relationship is no longer a constant in your life.
What Does It Mean When Someone Tells You They Love You in a Dream?
Dreaming about someone confessing their love for you can have many meanings. Read the list below and see which resonates with you.
- Dreams about someone saying they love you may be an indication that you accept and love yourself for who you are—or a reminder that you should.
- This kind of dream can also indicate that you're developing strong feelings for someone or trying to decide how you feel about a new partner. Maybe you're trying to figure out whether you love someone, or whether they love you!
- If you aren't in a relationship, or you are in an unfulfilling one, dreams like this may be a way for your mind to compensate for what it feels like it's missing out on in your waking life. Consider this a spur to find satisfaction and fulfillment in your day-to-day life!
- Dreams like this might be a kind of dress-rehearsal for how you want your love life to be. It's completely normal to fantasize about things like this in your waking life, so it shouldn't be too big of a surprise when they transfer to your dreams.
What If I Dream That I'm Telling Someone I Love Them?
Similar to the interpretations above, this is likely a sign that you want love in your life, and perhaps that you have already found it but have yet to openly acknowledge it.
Dreams About Kissing Someone
Figuring out what it means to dream about kissing someone depends on a few factors, such as who you kissed and how you felt about it. Here are a few interpretations of different kissing scenarios in dreams.
- Kissing Your Partner: This may be a sign that your relationship is lacking in the romance department. If this interpretation resonates with you, you might want to try talking to your partner about trying to renew the passion and desire in your relationship. Not to worry, though. Dreaming about kissing your partner could also simply mean everything is going smoothly and happily and that your relationship is harmonious.
- Kissing Someone Else's Partner: First things first—don't panic and think that this makes you a bad person! Just because you dreamed about kissing someone else's boyfriend or girlfriend doesn't necessarily mean you actually want to be with that person. It could simply be a reflection of your desire for love and/or passion. However, if you tend to be a jealous person in your waking life, dreams like this could be an indicator that you are covetous of that person's relationship.
- Kissing a Friend: Don't panic about this one either; dreaming about kissing a close friend could be nothing more than a reflection of how much you respect them and of the bond between you. If, on the other hand, you awake with feelings of desire for that friend, you may indeed be wishing they were more than just a friend!
- Kissing a Stranger: If you had positive feelings during a dream like this, it may indicate a desire for love in your life. However, if this dream inspired negative feelings (e.g. you were kissing someone you did not want to kiss), it may be an indicator that you are easily taken advantage of or that someone in your day-to-day life is trying to get you to do something that you don't want to do.
Otherwise, kissing dreams may be a symbol of you mending fences with someone or a reconciliation coming about. It could also mean you are "kissing the past goodbye," so to speak. What time of day is it? If it is during the dark it may represent danger or an inappropriate situation. If it's sunny out it may represent good intentions and well-meaning.
For more information about all kinds of kissing dreams, check out this in-depth article about what it means to dream about kissing.
What Does It Mean When You Dream About Your Crush?
- Current Crush: The most common interpretation of dreaming about a current crush is that it's a form of wish fulfillment. You want to be with this person in real life, and that carries over into your dreams. This may also reflect, however, that you don't think you're good enough for this person and are upset that you never will. If this is the case, it may be a good idea to spend a little time in your waking life trying to accept and love yourself. After all, you can't expect someone else to like (or love!) you when you don't like yourself
- Past Crush: This one could go either way. If you have a positive dream about a past crush, it could indicate that you are excited about new experiences and opportunities in your current life, but if the dream leaves you feeling bad or anxious, it may be an indicator that you're afraid to go for what you want in life or that you're worried about falling back into old patterns.
- A Crush on You: Go you! You're feeling confident and happy with yourself and you're excited about what's going on in your life.
- Rejected by Your Crush: This may be a sign that you feel unworthy of being loved. If you suspect this might be the case, try taking a break from other people and focusing on yourself for a while. You are worthy of love, but step one is loving yourself.
- Accepted by Your Crush: You are feeling optimistic and confident. This may be your subconscious's way of telling you to go for it and tell your crush how you feel.
- Your Crush Dying: Luckily, the meanings of these dreams are far less drastic than you might fear. They're usually just indicators that your feelings for your crush are waning or, if they aren't, that it's time for you to move on!
Dreams About Getting Married
Naturally, if you are planning a wedding, will soon be attending a wedding, or recently got married, these dreams are likely to be a simple reflection of your day-to-day life. But these kinds of dreams can also have meanings that have nothing to do with weddings. Here are a few examples of marriage-related dream symbols and their interpretations.
- Being a Bride: To dream of a bride, whether it's yourself or someone else, could mean you are coming into an inheritance.
- Being a Bridesmaid or Groomsman: If you dream of being a member of the wedding party, it could be a sign that though you may not have found love yet, it's just around the corner!
- Going to a Wedding: Attending a wedding in a dream can indicate a big transition in your waking life. You may be excited or anxious about this change—how you feel in the dream should help you figure out which it is!
- A Bride Being Kissed: This can signal a joyous get-together between family and friends in the near future.
- Eloping: This may mean that you are trying to run away from unfavorable events that will occur (or already are occurring) in your life. It could also indicate that you aren't ready for a big change happening in your life (whether it's a positive or not-so-positive one).
- Your Partner Eloping With Someone Else: Watch out! You may soon learn about your partner being unfaithful. Alternatively, this could mean you have insecurities or questions about your relationship.
- A Marriage License: You may be seeking legitimacy in your current relationship, whether it be in the eyes of your partner, your friends and family, or the law. Alternately, a dream like this may indicate that you will soon make a bad alliance that ends in you being hurt or humiliated.
- A Veil: If you are walking around with a veil over your face it may not be just because of an upcoming marriage. It may mean that you are refusing to tackle a problem head-on, that you have secrets to keep, or that you are very shy.
Dreams About Sex and Hooking Up
What Does It Mean When I Dream About Sex?
This may mean you are missing aspects of the person you are having sex with and you want to incorporate them into your own character. It also may just be your desire's way of telling you that it's been a long time since you've had sex. If you are trying to find a place to get it on, then the dream may represent your search for a certain intimacy and closeness that you can't find.
Here are a couple of other scenarios you may have dreamt about.
- Sex With a Celeb: Are you having sex with a well-known public figure? This could indicate your drive to be successful. What does this celebrity represent to you? For instance (and contrary to what you might think!), having sex with Angelina Jolie may mean you want to help other people and that you have the drive to do it.
- Same-Sex Sex: If you are heterosexual and you dream that you are having sex with someone of the same sex, don't spend all day fretting about it. This alone isn't a reason to start questioning your sexuality. It may just be an expression of being more comfortable with yourself and letting others know that you are not affected by them. Good for you!
What If I Dream About Taking a Lover?
A lover appearing in your dream shows your recognition of your self-worth and your true value. It may also indicate the integration of both your masculine and feminine traits, meaning you are feeling complete or whole.
You may also dream of your 'dream person' which may indicate that your relationship is not satisfactory to you or it is unfulfilling. If you find yourself dreaming about steamy, 'perfect' lovers frequently, it may be time for you to reassess your relationship or what you look for in a person (and whether that ideal truly exists).
Dreams About Cheating or Being Cheated On
Strange as it may seem, these dreams can actually have a positive effect on your love life! They can reveal your hidden sexual urges and desires, thus bringing your passion to life and encouraging you to explore new areas of your sexuality! But dreams about cheating can have other meanings as well . . .
Dreams About Cheating
Are you dreaming of cheating on something or someone? This may mean you have compromised your beliefs or integrity and/or are not making the most of your time and your energy (or that you're putting it towards bad decisions and activities).
Dreams About Adultery
This can be a warning from your subconscious about future disloyalty. You may soon find yourself (or already be finding yourself) in a shady or disloyal situation. Spoiler alert—it probably won't end well.
If your partner is cheating on you, it may be showing you your insecurities and your fear of being dumped. It may be symbolic of your feelings of your partner being less attentive and 'there' in the relationship. It may also be your guilt coming out and showing you that you are not measuring up to the expectations of others.
Are you dreaming about sleeping with your spouse's friend? This doesn't necessarily mean you want to cheat with them. It may just mean that you are feeling neglected by your spouse.
Dreams About Pregnancy
Below is a brief interpretation of several common pregnancy-related dream themes.
Baby: An obvious interpretation could be an impending birth, but not necessarily of a child! Dreaming about a baby may mean that an idea or thought is growing in your mind and is nearly ready to be born. It can also bring to your attention a dependent behavior or need. If the baby is alone, it can represent your independence.
Breasts: Dreams about breasts can represent becoming a mother or the need for nurturing. If you are running around naked, however, it could mean a fear of exposure.
Pregnancy: This kind of dream can indicate a desire for a child—but I dream of this a lot and I don't want children! It could also just mean something new beginning or coming into your life—maybe an idea or thought that is getting ready to come out. This kind of dream could also be your subconscious's way of telling you you're pregnant if you don't already know.
Challenge Yourself to Start a Dream Journal
If you really want to understand your dreams, then you need to be able to interpret them for yourself. No one else has the insight into your life, your dream symbols, and your fears, worries, and thoughts that you do—so you are the only one who can really understand your dreams. Take a 30-day dream journal challenge and see how good you can become at interpreting your own dreams.
Dream Journaling Is a Key Step on the Path to Lucid Dreaming
I've been studying my dreams since I was young, and I've gotten pretty good at lucid dreaming, meaning I can 'wake' myself up in a dream and tell myself that it's a dream and then do what I want—fly, see an old friend, or ask an important question. It's a huge part of my excitement for going to sleep at night!
Every morning, I remember my dreams and try to figure out if they meant something important, or if they were just random and fun little 'movies' for the night.
We've all heard of great stories like the one about Albert Einstein's theory of relativity being inspired by a dream . . . that's how powerful dreams really are! You just need to know how to interpret the symbols in your dreams to understand what they mean for you.
Meditation Can Help You Interpret Your Dreams
Meditation is simply about being in a relaxed state. In short, you calm your mind (usually into an alpha state) during meditation, just as you do before you go to bed or when you daydream or when you are really relaxed sitting in front of the ocean (or wherever else your mind naturally calms down). Meditation has so many benefits for your health, but we are talking about dreams here—right?
How Does Meditation Help You Interpret Your Own Dreams?
Meditation gives you more self-awareness and allows you to find answers that you cannot find when your mind is buzzing and bouncing from one thought to the next.
If you meditate on your dreams in the morning instead of instantly jumping out of bed to get ready for your day, you will have a much easier time remembering and interpreting your dreams.
Moreover, if you meditate before bed, you can focus your attention on things you want to dream about or find answers to—and you will have an easier time influencing your dreams.
Dreams have the power to give you answers, help you sort through issues, and give you insight into your future, and meditation has the power to connect you to your dreams and help you understand them.
Do You Meditate?
Are you currently practicing meditation?
If You Are Interested In Dreams, This Is a Must-Read
After you read this book, you will have a better understanding of how powerful your dreams are for your life. You will find a new respect for your dreams and your dream life.
Remember, You Are the Only One Who Can Really Interpret Your Love Dreams
Remember that whatever resonates as the truth with you is what your dream probably means.
I get a lot of people asking me what their love dreams mean, but, as we discussed, certain symbols mean different things to different people. For instance, darkness for me is calming, whereas it might be depressing or scary to you.
I can give you my interpretation of your dream and even let my tarot cards guide you towards a theme or situation, but I don't know all the details of YOU and your life, which is important for interpreting dreams. Somewhere inside, you know exactly what your dream meant—you are the one who had it! So at the end of the day, you need to learn how to interpret them yourself.
We are all built with an inner guidance system. Meditation is a great tool to help you get access to that inner guidance system. The information is in you, in your cells, waiting for you to find it—so start looking inward instead of outward.
Do You Know What Your Dream Symbols Are?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
I dreamt my crush (currently taken, but has said he's not really feeling it) told me he liked me and was keen to go out - but his current girlfriend was pregnant (which she isn't in real life). In the dream, I said 'if you'd asked me a few months ago I would've said yes, but not really sure what to do given the current circumstances'. Also wondering what this bizarre dream meant?
What happens if you have a dream about a boy that you aren’t in a relationship with, but you are in the dream, it involved kissing?
Nothing happens, it's a dream.Helpful 7
What does it mean when I dream that I'm dating someone who I think of just a friend on real life?
It could be nothing, just a way to blow off some steam.
It could be a sign that you like them more than you know.
It could mean that you feel as though they have qualities you would like to see in someone that you are dating, and you should look for those qualities.
It could also just be a symbol of how close you feel to them.Helpful 1
I keep having a few dreams about myself being unable to call or find my current boyfriend as I keep landing up in a different location and scenario in my dream. I always find a phone somewhere in these dreams and I can’t remember any numbers and I keep calling someone to get hold of his number. And then I wake up anxious and confused. What does this mean?
I just had a dream where my ex's good friend and teammate told me that my ex is still in love with me, and that I need to go to him. I got to ask him all these questions, and he gives me advice. It felt so real. I have been having weird feelings that I need to go to my ex in general. We never really ended, and I love him. What do you think I should do?
© 2012 Kari