What Does it Mean When I Dream About Kissing?
Kissing is a common dream theme. Kissing is a big part of life for most people. We kiss our partners, our close relatives, and our children. In some parts of the world it is customary to kiss friends both old and new. Kissing has been a longtime symbol of passion, desire, love, and friendship.
Kisses themselves are powerful in most cultures. They appear as magic and life-giving in fairy tales. Think of how much a simple kiss meant to Snow White or Sleeping Beauty. For the frog-prince, a kiss broke the spell.
When it comes to kissing dreams, there are several different variations. For example, you may have a dream about kissing your mom, kissing an ex, or kissing someone's hand. These dreams each have different meanings.
In order to understand your own dream, you have to know:
- Who you kissed.
- Where you kissed them.
- The type of kiss.
- Your emotional state when you had the dream.
Who You Kissed
If you dream of kissing a specific person, this can symbolize several different things. It depends upon who it was.
- Someone else's partner: If you dreamed of kissing someone else's girlfriend or boyfriend, this may mean that you want to be in a relationship or be in love. It doesn't necessarily mean that you want to be with that specific person. It may also mean that you want to act out sexually. It may be a sign that you are jealous of that person. It may also mean that you are being deceitful when it comes to other people's relationships and that you aren't showing honor and integrity about the situation.
- A stranger: If you have a dream about kissing a stranger, this may be an acknowledgement that something is missing from your life. The missing thing may be love or a special bond, or not. Your kissing the stranger is a symbol of acceptance. If the stranger kissed you, it represents self-discovery that you are missing a key attribute in your life.
- A close friend: If you dream of kissing your close friend or about them kissing you, it may mean that you admire and respect them. The kiss represents your strong bond. It may mean that you want something more with them. This dream may be your unconscious telling you that you are missing something in your life, specifically love.
- Someone you don't like: If you dream of kissing someone that you really don't like, beware. This may mean that betrayal and deceit are afoot. If someone you don't like tries to kiss you and you try to stop them, this mean that someone is trying to get you to do or accept things that you don't want to. It may also mean that you are refusing to accept something.
- Brother or sister: If you kiss your brother or sister in a dream it may represent your special bond with them. It may mean that the two of you have a good relationship.
- Partner: Dreaming about kissing your own romantic partner may mean that you need more romance with them. Is romance missing in your relationship? The dream may also represent your strong desire and passion for them. If you were watching your partner kiss someone else in the dream, this represents an unfaithful tendency or a deceitful past.
- Mother: If you dreamed about kissing your mother, you will have great success in life and business. It may mean that you will be honored, loved, and respected by others.
- Random person: If you kiss someone that you barely know in a dream, you may have feelings for them. If you wait in the distance to view the person in your dream, it may mean that you yearn for a real-life fantasy. If you kiss someone that you have very little interest in, this may mean that you feel awkward or uncomfortable about some aspect of your life.
- Children: If you dream about kissing a child, this represents a happy family life or reunion. If the child is your own, it denotes your love for them. It may also mean that they need something from you.
- A crazy person: If you dream about kissing someone who is crazy, you may be making bad decisions or judgements in your life.
Where You Kissed Them
Kisses on specific area of the body hold different symbolic meanings.
- Hand: If you kissed someone's hand, or someone kissed your hand, this may mean that you feel respect and comfort with that person. It can be a sign of loyalty.
- Leg: If you dreamed about kissing someone on the foot or leg, this may mean that you are humble. It is a sign of humility and respect. If the person kisses you on the foot or leg, this means that they respect and are comfortable with you.
- Forehead: If you kissed someone on the forehead or someone kissed you there in your dream, it may mean that you are displeased with their actions or they are displeased with yours.
- Cheek: If you dreamed that you kissed someone on the cheek, or that they kissed you there, this means that you admire them (or they you). This kiss represents friendship, loyalty, respect, courtesy, and reverence.
- Neck: If you dream about kissing someone on the neck, or about someone kissing you on the neck, this may mean that you are giving in to your wants and desires. This is a symbol of lust and desire or that you yearn for passion.
The Type of Kiss
What type of kiss was it? Was it passionate, friendly, respectful, or polite?
- French kiss: If you dream that you are French kissing a person, this means that you need to express your emotions in an honest way. It may mean that you need more passion and desire in your life.
- The ground: Kissing the ground in a dream may represent negative emotions. It may mean that you will have emotional distress and setbacks in your life.
How You Feel About the Kiss
A dream about a kiss can symbolize passion, desire, deceit, respect, loyalty, and many other feelings. The only way to know for sure what your dream means is to ask yourself: How did I feel when I had the dream? How did I feel in the dream?
Sigmund Freud, the psychoanalyst who made a study of dreams and the unconscious, argued that dreams were a form of repressed desire. His theory was that emotions that we repress in our waking lives bubble up in dreams. Another dream researcher, Dr. Ernest Hartmann, found that the central image of the dream (in this case, a kiss) is directly related to an underlying emotion.
Other theories attach symbolic meaning to the emotions experienced in dreams. For example:
- Feeling afraid in a dream means the dreamer is experiencing self-doubt in their waking life.
- Aggression symbolizes repressed sexual desire.
- Feeling amorous in a dream means that your runaway emotions will get you into trouble in your waking life.
- Dreaming about love means that love in your waking life is strong and has spilled over into your unconscious.
- If you yearn for something in your dream, it means that you will soon have an opportunity to get what you want.
DO YOU BELIEVE THAT YOUR DREAMS MEAN SOMETHING ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR LIFE?See results without voting
More by this Author
Dreaming that we are floating is actually a common dream that both men and women have. You may have dreamed about floating in the air, over your bed, or into space. Some people may confuse floating dreams with flying...
Learn what it means if you have hostage dreams — dreams where you are a hostage.
Many people dream about rats: Read on to discover what your rat dream might represent or symbolize in your life.