What Does it Mean if I Dream About Being a Hostage?
Being held hostage is not a common dream theme. However, men and women do have such dreams. Dreaming that you are a hostage can represent a variety of different meanings in your waking life. This theme can come in a variety of different scenarios and with different emotions.
This type of dream commonly represents several negative emotions that we are feeling in our waking life. It might suggest that you are feeling trapped in a certain situation in your life. This can refer to a variety of different things, such as a bad relationship. It could also be a friendship, a work relationship, or your relationship with your partner. Your dream can also point to a bad financial situation or your job.
In this article, we will discuss hostage dreams and its scenarios. We will also review its meanings, and hopefully it guides you to understand how it relates to your waking life.
Meanings and Scenarios
When we dream about being held hostage, we commonly feel emotions of deceit, vulnerability, powerless, and trapped. We might have feelings of being confused, dazed, fear, anxiety, and terrified. Your dream may be applying to these same emotions in your life. What is making you feel this way?
We quickly go from total control to no control at all. What situation in your life have you lost total control over? These situations can point to anything in your life where you now feel powerless.
Just like any dream that you have, you need to try to remember as much as you can from your hostage dream. Remember, each symbol, emotion, and elements can represent meanings in your waking life. There are several questions that you need to ask yourself to better guide you in finding the meaning:
- Who held you hostage?
- Where did they take you?
- Were you held captive?
- How was your captor acting?
- How did this make you feel?
- Were you able to escape?
Many things can happen in this type of dream. As you know now, there are a variety of emotions and scenarios that can occur. Overall, it suggests that we feel powerless and trapped in our waking life. We may try to correct the situation or circumstances, but we fail to resolve the issues at hand. It often points to money issues and controlling relationships. They can also point to drug and alcohol abuse as well. These situations control our lives and emotions.
- The actions and emotions of your captor can represent your own emotions. If you captor is acting angry, your dream may be pointing out your own anger in your waking life. This is why it is important to analyze your captor's actions and emotions while you are being held hostage. In this case, their emotions are actually your own.
- It can also symbolize that we are not living up to our potential. This is viewed as a positive sign, because we can use the dream as motivation. Your subconscious is warning you that you have a higher potential. This can point to your job, friends, family, or a relationship. Maybe it is time to work harder to achieve your goals and aspirations.
- It can also symbolize that you are being controlled by someone or something in your waking life. You may feel that you are in a situation or relationship that is controlling your everyday life. As mentioned before, your hostage dream can represent any situation, relationship, or circumstance that is the cause of your entrapment. Despite the potential loss, it is wrong to be controlled or controlling. Your dream may be a sign that you need to break free from this situation.
- Often, it could reflect on your lack of ability to get out of a controlling situation. You may feel that you have no choice or the potential loss is too great. You may have already tried but had no success in doing so. This brings on negative emotions and can lead to anxiety and even depression. Although you feel that you are not in control, you do have options.
- If you dream that after being held hostage, you escape, this may suggest the need to escape from the controlling circumstances that are occurring in your waking life. Your dream is suggesting that you may need to escape this situation. You may have already escaped a controlling situation and the dream is simply representing this fact. If we are held hostage, we all want to escape. The trouble is finding the courage to manage this escape.
- If you are being held in captivity, this may symbolize that someone or something is holding us back from reaching success. This commonly points to work. You may be in the position for a promotion but someone is keeping you from reaching this point in your life. It may even point to the fact that you deserve a raise but your boss is controlling your promotion. You may be overlooked or passed over for whatever reason.