All About Interpreting Dreams
On Interpreting Dreams...
Dreams are those memories that permeate our best night's sleep...or our worst. Many of us remember our dreams the next day, while many of us believe we do not dream at all. The truth is that everyone dreams every night, it's just that many people do not recall those dreams in the morning when they wake up. But when your dreams are strange, scary, or just plain amazing, perhaps you remember your dreams then...and often it leaves us wondering what these dreams mean.
How do we interpret dreams? Are they even something to be interpreted or just cast aside purely mixed-up thoughts and memories from our daily lives? In this article, we'll examine some of the most popular dreams and how to easily interpret them.
Animals in Dreams
Animals can pop up into the dream-world on any given night...even when you least expect them to. I've had dreams of everything from beavers to moles to wolves in my dreams, how about you? Cats, dogs, insects...any type of animal can pop up into your dreams at any time.
Each animal has its own message that it could be trying to bring you. Majority of the time animals in dreams are specific messages related to your life, and can vary depending on the person dreaming the dream. Interpreting animals in dreams can sometimes be rather easy, and other times it can be rather difficult.
To make it a bit easier on you, here's a simple and brief breakdown of various animals in dreams and potential meanings:
- Beaver: hard work ahead, motivation, determination
- Bee: teamwork, colony/community, messages from the gods
- Birds: depending on the type of bird - messages from the gods, freedom, breaking loose from boundaries, creativity, connecting with the Divine
- Butterfly: transformation, evolution, rebirth, change, freedom
- Cat: motherhood, protection, fertility, mysteries
- Cow: parenthood/motherhood, home and hearth, the sacred
- Dog: underworld, protection, guardianship, family, loyalty
- Elephant: prosperity, luck, patience, royalty
- Fox: betrayal, thievery, speed
- Goat: sexuality, fertility, steady-footing/balance
- Horse: guidance to next phase in life, strength, shifts, speed
- Lion: driving force, new love, sexual prowess
- Mouse: feeling small/low self-confidence, eavesdropping
- Pig: losing resources, grounding, getting back to basics, connecting with Earth
- Rabbit: love, romance, fertility, shapeshifting, growth
- Snake: wisdom, transformation, mysteries, occult, death/rebirth cycle
- Tiger: repressed emotions, sexuality, luxury, aggression
- Wolf: shifting, solitude, survival, beauty, obsession, pride
Flying in Dreams
Do you know how to fly? I mean really fly in your dreams? I do! If you've ever flown in your dreams, then you'll know just how amazing and exhilarating the feeling can be.
Here are some of the flying dreams you might have experienced:
- flying away from a predator/thief/enemy of some sort
- flying over the ocean/trees/mountains
- flying by yourself
- flying in a group
- flying with a set of wings
- learning to fly
- falling in the middle of flying
Each of these dreams can have their own meanings and interpretations; however, an easy way to look at it is...how do you feel in the dream? Do you feel comfortable and free while flying or are you feeling weighed down? Do you fall in the middle of flying or do you soar to great heights? If you are falling or can't get off the ground, perhaps you are feeling that something in your life is holding you back from accomplishing your goals.
If you are soaring to great heights in your dreams, or over any landscapes etc., then you are simply feeling very free and self-confident.
Sometimes I believe flying dreams do not have to be interpreted...that we can take them literally. We sometimes leave our bodies at night, our souls flying over the earth and reaching over dimensions...
Naked in Dreams
So many people have complained or talked about having dreams in which they are naked. Often these dreams consist of some form of embarassment, i.e. the person is back in high school and walking around the hallways in the nude. Or perhaps they are giving a presentation at work and realize they are naked. Have you had a naked dream before?
Here are some quick interpretations for common naked dreams:
- Naked in a public arena: feeling vulnerable, not confident, insecure
- Naked in your own house and/or alone: feeling comfortable in one's own skin, happy with life, happy with relationships
- Naked in a public place but no one else notices: you have deep-seated fears that only you notice...no one else even knows! So get over it! LOL
Weather Dreams - Tornadoes, Tsunamis, Earthquakes
Some of the most frightening dreams can include nature's catastrophes...Mother Nature's thumb, as I like to call it. I think the concept of having particular types of weather in one's dreams can signify different fears and occurrences in one's life. Again, this depends on the person and their particular situations.
Weather Dreams Interpretations:
- Tornadoes: feelings of getting swept up in life's cycles, changes, transformations; feelings of being out of control in one's life
- Tsunamis/Tidal Waves: being overtaken by a wave can also indicate a feeling of being out of control, feelings of being overwhelmed, over-stressed, working too hard and not finding balance between work and play; chakras are out of balance
- Earthquakes: ground is shifting under your feet indicates major changes in your life; new opportunity, from destruction there is also creation
- Hurricanes: unidentified and unrecognized fears, allowing life to swallow one whole, feeling overtaken by life's stressors
- Floods: flooding houses in dreams indicate a feeling of being overwhelmed, a time of major change in family life, fears of losing one's home, financial gain/loss
- Snowstorms: feeling like one's relationship is turning "cold", fighting with family members or friends, blizzards in dreams indicate feeling "snowed in" by one's family member or friend
In addition to the dream interpretations provided above, there are dozens and dozens more. There are hundreds of symbols, signs, colors, and variations of dreams per each person who dreams them. Keep in mind that someone who might find a tornado in a dream as frightening, another person experiencing a tornado in a dream might find it exhilarating and oddly comforting. It all depends on the person and the situation.