The Possible Meanings of Dreams About Bees
What Does It Mean to Dream About Bees?
Dreams about bees can be interpreted in various ways depending on what religion, tradition, culture, or psychologist you consult. There's no denying, however, that bees are rich with symbolic meaning across cultures and faiths around the world.
It's up to you to choose which type of interpretation you would like to apply to your dreams. Sometimes religious and cultural explanations may not be enough for your dreams, in which case you could examine them from various perspectives in psychology, psychoanalysis, or neuroscience. This article covers the psychological, cultural, and religious meanings of dreams about bees.
Bees Have Both Positive and Negative Connotations
Because of their stingers, bees are often viewed as a threat, and a dream about bees may reflect the anxiety or irritation one feels about bee stings. Though bees normally only sting when the hive is threatened, many myths about bees persist; some people believe that bees can sense human fear, and this aura of fear will provoke the bee.
This is not true: Bees sting when they're afraid, or when they feel the hive is threatened. In such a situation, both the bee and the person about to be stung would likely be frightened. A dream about bees, then, may draw on this association between bees and fear (though most people likely fail to take the bee's fear into account).
Bees have other popular connotations that are much more positive. In many ways, beehives resemble human societies: complex and orderly, with social roles such as queens and worker bees. Bees also fulfill a vital ecological function, pollinating flowers and enabling the reproduction of plants. For these and other reasons, bees are important symbols in many cultures.
Positive and Negative Interpretations of Dreams About Bees
Loss of Control
Happy Family Life
Psychological Interpretation of Bee Dreams
There are many ways to understand dreams, many of which are drawn from psychology. Sigmund Freud, one of the most influential psychoanalysts in history, propounded several of these interpretations.
For Freud and other psychoanalysts, dreams are the unconscious mind's way of trying to reach the conscious mind. A dream, then, could represent a romantic desire you didn't realize you had, a fear or anxiety you're not yet aware of, or a memory that you've repressed.
To interpret a dream about bees psychologically, you need to think about what bees mean for you and what they have meant in your life. Were you stung by a bee as a child? Is someone in your life a beekeeper or otherwise associated with bees? The bees in your dream might actually represent that person. Figuring out what bees have meant in your own life will help you understand what bees mean in your dreams.
What Does It Mean to Dream About Being Chased by a Swarm of Bees?
If a bee or a swarm of bees is chasing you in a dream, it may mean there is some unsettled business in your waking life (even something as simple as a long to-do list) or a memory that haunts you. This kind of dream could also indicate that you feel overwhelmed in your day-to-day life.
If you are able to identify what is bothering you and let it go from your mind or deal with it, you may be able to avoid having more negative dreams about bees.
Note: If you dream about a swarm of bees that is not chasing you, that can be a very positive sign, indicative of happiness, wealth, and luck!
What Does It Mean to Dream About Getting Stung by a Bee?
If you dream about getting a bee sting, then something may be bothering you, or you may have a persistent annoyance in your life. Concerns about your relationship, career, finance, or some unresolved issue might be bugging your subconscious mind. Are you devoting so much time to work that you don't have any left to spend on your hobbies or your partner? Find out what is bothering you and try to sort it out.
Dreaming about getting stung by a bee could also reflect feelings of hurt in your waking life. If you recently had a fight with a friend or loved one that left you feeling emotionally stung, it's no surprise that you might dream about being physically stung.
What Does It Mean to Dream About a Bee Landing on You?
Lucky you! This is a sign of deep and unconditional love, either with someone you are already in a relationship or with someone you will soon meet.
What Does It Mean to Dream About Killing Bees?
Dreams about exterminating bees are generally a bad sign that you might soon undergo a series of misfortunes or hardships that are hard to recover from. If you often have this kind of dream, you may want to try addressing any aspects of your daily life that you've been putting off and that could lead to struggles down the line.
Beehives in Dreams
It is not uncommon to dream about beehives, but it is important to note the state of the beehive (is it full? empty? bustling with activity? burning?) in order to interpret it properly.
What Does It Mean to Dream About a Burning Beehive?
A beehive on fire or burned bees are often interpreted as reflections of your emotional and physical condition. Burned bees may mean you are overcoming fear and want to take control of life and anger, that you're progressing through life with more confidence without any fear of obstacles.
But burned beehives can also mean you have lost something precious, like money, a relationship, or some valuable information that you've forgotten or ignored. A dream about a burning beehive may be a subconscious exhortation to appreciate all the good things in your life instead of taking them for granted.
Is Your Beehive Empty or Full?
When full and buzzing with activity, beehives bring to mind abundance and prosperity. Bees work hard and are rewarded by flowing stores of honey. An empty beehive, then, represents the opposite: lost opportunity and financial misfortune.
A beehive can also represent a home. The fullness or emptiness of the beehive (including bees flying around the beehive) may indicate unconscious feelings about family life, marriage, children, or the house itself. If you dream of bustling beehives full of activity, this is usually a good sign of joy in your love life or home life.
Honey may represent your property or belongings; a beehive full of honey could indicate good business fortune to come.
What Does It Mean to Dream About Bees in Your House or Hair?
Some say that dreaming about a house full of bees portends the death of someone living there. Similarly, dreams about bees clinging to one's hair are sometimes interpreted as symbols of death or illness. But before you start to panic, remember—it's just a dream.
What Kind of Bee Dreams Do You Have?
How to Stop Having Nightmares About Bees
You may be experiencing unpleasant dreams, such as those about a swarm of bees or a bee sting, because something in your unconscious mind wants to be made conscious.
Though it might not seem like it, this can be a good thing. Dreams can make you aware of negative feelings, memories, or worries you didn't realize you still were holding onto, and then you can deal with them.
However, if you want to avoid nightmares about bees, here are a few techniques you can practice in your waking life:
- Try to process any lingering emotions before going to sleep. If you are angry or irritated, think about what may be making you feel that way. If you can process these feelings before going to sleep, then you may have fewer nightmares about things like bee stings.
- Try journaling. Make sure you express your feelings by writing them down in a blog or journal. This will loosen up any emotions you might be suppressing.
- Deal with stressors as they arise. Never suppress your feelings or persistent thoughts, as they will come back to haunt you in your dreams. Try to deal with them as they arise. Since bees often represent work, finance, relationships, or the home, confronting your worries about these while you're awake may stop you from dreaming about them at night (as well as make you happier in your day-to-day life!).
Possible Religious Interpretations of Dreams About Bees
Rather than learning about the psychological symbolism of bees, you may want to know what a dream about bees may mean from a religious perspective. If you are interested in what dreaming about bees may mean, learning about the different cultural and religious symbolic meanings of bees can help.
Symbolic Meanings of Bees in Christianity
Bees have many meanings in Christian scripture and folklore:
- Immaculate Conception: When a bee fertilizes a flower by transporting pollen, it appears (mistakenly) that the plants have reproduced without sexual contact, leading some to associate bees with the Immaculate Conception and the Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus. For this reason, Roman Catholic churches place pure beeswax candles on their altars.
- Spreading the Gospel: The spreading of pollen resembles the spread of Christianity, or the sharing of the Good News (a.k.a. the gospel).
- The Greater Good: The idea of Christian charity can be likened to a beehive working together for a common good.
- The Crucifixion: The bee's sting can also be likened to the piercing pain of Christ's crucifixion.
Bees and Honey in the Quran
Bees and honey are mentioned in the Quran, the Islamic scripture:
- Humanity's Helpers: Allah taught the bees to create honey and to populate areas where they could be useful to humans: "And thy Lord taught the bee to build its cells on hills, on trees and in people's habitations." [Quran 16:68]
- A Healing Force: The Quran mentions honey's numerous healing properties, which have been corroborated by modern science. For example, "There emerges from their bellies a drink, varying in colors, in which there is healing for people..." [Quran 16:69]
- Discipline: Bees also represent God-given discipline and order, and a holy division of labor amongst a collective.
- Wealth and Good Fortune: In dreams, Islam subscribes various meanings to bees, notably wealth and good fortune brought forth by hard work and perseverance.
- A Harbinger of Bad Luck: On the other hand, bees can also be an allusion to disease or war, due to their tendency to swarm and attack.
Bee Symbolism in Judaism
Bees in Jewish scripture and exegesis:
- A Powerful Collective: Bees are analogized to the Jewish people in scripture; bees work as a collective behind a leader and can be likened to those who follow the teachings of Jewish prophets or sages.
- A Sign of Sweetness to Come: At Rosh Hashanah, Jews traditionally eat apple slices dipped in honey, in hopes for a sweet new year.
- The Greater Good: According to the Midrash, an interpretive text for the Torah, the Jews are to toil not for their own benefit, but for God, like bees who collect pollen for the greater benefit.
Hindu Meanings of Bees
Bees can also be seen in the imagery and holy texts of Hinduism:
- A Holy Power: Hindu deities are often represented using bees. Vishnu, the preserver of the universe, is often depicted as a bee on a lotus flower. Krishna, an avatar of Vishnu, is depicted as having a blue bee in the middle of his forehead. Kama, the god of love, possesses a bow-string made of bees.
- A Healing Force: In the Vedas, honey is noted for its medicinal properties.
- A Symbol of Oneness: The Upanishads use bees as an allegory for interconnectedness: bees make honey by sourcing many flowers, and do not know which flowers created a certain batch. As honey is a consistent whole made from many forgotten parts, all beings are one.
What Do You Think the Bees in Your Dreams Represent?
What Are My Dreams Trying to Tell Me?
Dream interpretation is far from an exact science, but we can still learn a lot from our dreams and use what we learn to make positive changes in our waking lives. Here are a few possible takeaways from bee dreams:
- Get organized and establish a routine.
- Make time for yourself to relax, or risk getting burned out.
- Take on a new project soon, whether creative or work-oriented.
- Make an effort to connect and communicate more deeply.
- Take control of your life and work toward overcoming your fears.
- Get your home life in order and spend time with those you love.
- Try to resolve the issues that are bothering you at work or home.
- Don't take those around you for granted.
I hope this article has given you a better idea of what your bee dreams might mean and that you are able to use what you learn to better your day-to-day life. Wishing you sweet dreams and a sweeter reality!
Dreaming of Other Animals (or Arachnids)?
- The Meaning and Symbolism of Snake Dreams
What does it mean when you dream about snakes? Let's take a closer look at the interpretations and symbolic meanings of snakes in dreams.
- The Meaning Behind Dreams About Cats
This guide offers interpretations of various types of dreams about cats. Cats can represent many things and may reveal issues in your waking life that you need to address.
- What Dreams About Dogs Mean and How to Interpret Them
This is a guide to interpreting dreams about dogs, and the dog as a dream symbol. It includes information on many facets of dog symbolism, including dogs in the collective unconscious, guardian dogs, guide dogs, the dog as a symbol of fidelity, dogs
- What Do Spiders Mean in Dreams?
For dreams about spiders, captivity, venomous words, cruelty, patience, intelligence, and the archetypal Self are all possible interpretations. Read on to discover which meaning fits the spider in your dream.
© 2011 Diaspora