The Meaning Behind Dreams About Cats
This guide covers a few of the most common aspects of cats as dream symbols. The feline could represent:
- The self
- Mystery and intuition
- Independence and Confidence
- Sex Appeal
While reading, you should allow your own ideas to help you interpret the meaning. Use this guide as a starting point, not as the final word.
The Self, Shadow, and Anima
When interpreting cats as dream symbols, it is important to rely on your own association with cats because different people feel differently about them. Few animals provoke more disparate emotions.
For example, the cat worshipped by the ancients Egyptians is the same one reviled by the Puritans as demonic heralds.
In addition to being symbolic of everyday concepts, like vulnerability, these common household pets can also represent some of the deeper concepts in Jungian psychology, such as:
- The self
Animals, in particular, are used as expressions of the self in dreams. They reveal parts that are hidden, such as visceral emotional responses or impulses that are unconscious.
As shadow symbols, cats can be "shadow gold." This means that they can stand in for the parts of the self that you secretly prize and treasure. Or, they symbolize those elements of self that you hide and revile.
As anima symbols, cats represent the female side of the male psyche and how well a man relates to concepts like relating to the intuition.
- Cats, more so than dogs, are often prized for and associated with independence and self-sustainability. However, the image of the helpless kitten in the tree is also one that is firmly ingrained in the collective unconscious.
- If you dream about kittens, especially newborn kittens, or about loudly mewing and unseen cats, it may be an indication that you feel not only vulnerable but also unable to get help.
- You should look to your waking life and ascertain whether or not you are being heard. The problem could be your inability to ask for assistance. Many times, those who are most independent are also those who are completely unaccustomed to asking for help.
- Dreams of kittens might also mean that you have embarked on a new project or phase of life that is in a vulnerable state and needs nurturing. It is important to nurture yourself as much as you nurture others.
When Women Dream of Cats
- The cat in women's dreams usually represents how the woman views herself. This personal perception includes not only how the woman thinks of herself physically but, also, how she relates to her intuition and creativity and how she sees herself in relation to men.
- Dreaming of healthy cats could indicate that a woman has a high level of self-confidence. This is different from arrogance. Self-confidence indicates a sense of comfort with one's self, meaning you feel completely comfortable in your own skin.
- Healthy cats could also indicate that a woman is comfortable with her personal power. She trusts her intuition and the decisions she makes based on that intuition.
- Power is not synonymous with control. Controlling people like to direct everything and everyone around them precisely because they feel like they have no power.
- Power is one's ability to affect change, not one's ability to boss others around, be a domineering control freak, or micromanage. Power comes from trusting yourself and being confident that you can get results. Power is, therefore, neutral; it is neither good nor evil.
- Powerful people rarely need to tell anyone about their power. Just as the sun has no need to rise and announce its brilliance, true power shines on its own. It doesn't need a herald announcing its presence.
What Is a Dream?
Dreams are a form of communication that is typically foreign to the waking mind. The unconscious does not impart information in a verbal form like the conscious mind does. The unconscious mind communicates through symbols that must be interpreted if you wish to understand the communiqué. Just think of dreams as messages needing interpretation, similar to how a message written in a foreign language would need interpretation.
Mystery and Intuition
Intuition is often understood as a mysterious and aloof feeling that comes and goes as it pleases. That sounds very much like the animal being analyzed here. Cats in dreams are sometimes symbols of the intuition. You can ascertain whether the intuition is being heeded or ignored by checking the appearance and health of the animal.
- Healthy cats could indicate a healthy intuitive nature.
- Sick or diseased cats could mean that there exists an imbalance between the intellect and the intuition. If you experience this vision, you would do well to start valuing intuition a little more because, just like a cat, intuition will come around the more it is valued.
Cats in Men's Dreams
Cats appearing in men's dreams hold a meaning similar to the meaning in women's dreams. However, the focus is more outward than inward. Cats usually reveal how the man thinks the opposite sex perceives him or what his attitude toward the opposite sex is.
If a Cat Is Purring or Climbing on the Man
This could mean that the man thinks the opposite sex finds him attractive, and that he feels comfortable in his relationships with women.
If the Cat Is Hissing or Scratching
This could mean that he feels rejected by women, or that his current relationships with women are strained. He might also feel that the women in his life are hard to please, not to be trusted, overbearing, or just downright mean, in which case the dream may mean it is time to reassess his relationships.
Cats in dreams are as complex as they are in real life.
As previously explored in this article, these animals can symbolize everything from independence to vulnerability. Anytime a symbol comes with a rich mythological history, it is a sure sign that the symbol has great meaning and is a potential source of valuable information. The cat’s prominent role in mythology certainly qualifies it to be an important dream symbol.
The information that felines bring in the dream world can assist the dreamer in his/her waking life. Just like their waking-life counterparts, dream cats demand and deserve attention when they show up in your nocturnal visions.