Vehicle Dreams Meanings
Cars are a common theme in dreams for both men and women. These dreams may represent a variety of things about your waking life, and they may involve various scenarios. For example:
- You may dream that you are driving, or you may be a passenger.
- You may dream about washing your car, or you may dream that you are buying a car.
- Your dream may involve car accidents or traffic congestion.
In this article, we will discuss different types of car dreams and scenarios. We will go over the potential meanings of these dreams, and we hope to help you interpret what you've been dreaming about.
The Rich Symbolism of the Car
Automobiles are a dominant symbol, especially in this age and time. Cars are nearly everywhere, and most of us already know how important our automobile is. We rely on our cars to get us everywhere we need to be and to travel long distances. Since these vehicles are such a big part of our life, it is not uncommon to dream about them. As you will learn, your car dream may be suggesting something about your life, whether that's positive or negative.
Recalling Your Dream
As mentioned above, car dreams can indicate positive and negative signs. These dreams can also give us warnings and suggestions. Since these dreams can symbolize so much, close attention is needed to correctly analyze them. In order to do so, there are several questions that you need to ask yourself.
Questions to Help You Interpret Your Dream
- What did your car look like?
- Was the car clean or dirty?
- Were you driving fast or slow?
- Did it drive okay, or did you have car trouble?
- Did your car even start?
- Were there other cars in your dream?
- What else did you see in the dream?
- Were you driving, or were you a passenger?
- Where were you going?
- Were you alone or with other people?
- Did you have an accident while driving?
The Car Often Represents You
As you will see below, each of these scenarios suggests something different. In most cases, your car actually represents aspects of yourself. The characteristics of the vehicle in your dream can translate into your own characteristics.
Common Car Dream Scenarios and What They Might Mean
Below are some possible interpretations of your dream based on what you can recall about it.
1. I Dreamed I Was Driving
If you dreamed that you were driving, this could represent your journey or course in life. If the road was smooth, this could point to the fact that your life is in order.
This type of dream can also symbolize that you have total control over your emotions and/or total control in your life. This may refer to the choices that you have been making. It can also refer to your job, a relationship, or other circumstances in your waking life.
2. I Dreamed I Was a Passenger
If you dreamed that you were a passenger, this may suggest that you're not in control. You may feel as though someone is controlling you. Who was driving the car? If you know them, it is possible that you perceive them to be controlling.
Another interpretation is that the driver is an aspect of yourself. For example, if they were driving fast, it can point back to you and represent that you are engaging in destructive behavior in your waking life. Some interpretations say that if you dreamed you were a passenger, it might symbolize that you are used to having it easy. Your dream may be asking you to take responsibility for your life.
3. I Dreamed That My Car Worked Well
If you dreamed that your car was in perfect working order, it could suggest the same in your waking life. This dream scenario suggests that everything is going as planned and everything in your life is where you want it to be. This dream can point to any situation, circumstance, or relationship in your waking life. For example, it may represent that your family is close or your work is going great.
4. I Dreamed About Car Trouble
- Car Was Broken: If you dreamed that your car was missing parts or running poorly, this could point to issues in your waking life. Once again, there are a ton of different areas in which these issues may be occurring (work, relationships, etc.).
- Car Wouldn't Start: Dreaming that your car won't start can symbolize that you don't have control over a situation, circumstance, or relationship. It may mean that you feel powerless or unable to resolve certain issues.
- Car Got Wrecked: If you dreamed about wrecking your car, this could represent that you or someone you know is engaging in destructive behavior.
5. I Dreamed About Driving on a Road
The road that you dream about can also have meaning. What did the road look like when you were driving? Was it a smooth road, or was it rough?
- Bumpy Road: Dreaming that you are driving on a rough or bumpy road can suggest that you are going through trying times and turmoil in your waking life.
- Blocked Road: You may have dreamed that the road was filled with obstacles and debris. If so, your dream can represent that you have obstacles holding you back in life. If you get through the roadblocks in your dream, it can represent overcoming hardship. If not, it symbolizes that you are having trouble breaking through.
- Smooth Road: If you were driving on a smooth road, this could symbolize that you're on the right road in life. You have chosen the correct path. This type of car dream can also represent success and achievement.
6. I Dreamed About Washing My Car
If you dreamed that you were washing your car, this could represent renewal, new beginnings, or a new path in life. It can symbolize that changes are ahead for you—or that changes need to be made. This dream may refer to a new job, a new friend, a new partner, or any new beginning in your life. It can also suggest the idea of "out with the old and in with the new."
7. I Dreamed About a Certain Type of Car
There are a wide variety of different car types that we can dream about—from service vehicles to sports cars—and they may have different meanings.
- Police, Fire, or EMT Vehicle: If you dreamed about a police car, ambulance, or fire truck, this dream may symbolize that someone or something needs your assistance and your immediate attention. It may be a work task, a project, or a person that needs your help. This dream can also reflect that you may be the one who needs help; if so, don't be afraid to ask for it. Another interpretation is that you may not like authority of any kind.
- Sports Car: If you dreamed about a sports car or race car, it may indicate that you live life in the fast lane. It is possible that your life is very fast-paced, and you're constantly on the go. Maybe your dream is telling you to slow down and smell the roses. A speedy dream car may also be a sign that you are letting your life pass you by. Take some time to enjoy the simple things.
- Armored Car: If you dreamed about an armored car or vehicle, this could suggest that you have feelings of insecurity. There may be a situation, circumstance, or relationship that makes you feel insecure. This type of car dream can also point to low self-esteem or low confidence in yourself. For example, you may feel insecure about your height, weight, age, or your entire appearance. This dream may also represent trust, possibly a trustworthy situation or a trusting relationship.
- Flying Car: If you dreamed about a flying car, this may suggest that you are reaching for the stars and trying to go far in life. You are striving to achieve your goals and dreams. This type of dream may suggest that your life is going great or that some aspect of your life is going better than expected. In general, it's a positive dream symbol. Your aspirations are within reach; go get them!
8. I Dreamed That I Lost My Car
If you dreamed that you couldn't find your car, it may represent negative situations or relationships in your waking life. You may be upset and unhappy with the way your life is going. This dream may also symbolize a lack of direction; you may not know what your next move is or which path you should take.
9. I Dreamed About Buying a Car
If you dreamed about buying a car, this may suggest that you don't think before you spend. It represents that we get what we want instead of what we need. Now, if you have actually been looking to buy a car in your waking life, then your dream was probably brought on by that! If not, this car dream may point to financial issues. This dream may also point to responsibility, such as taking care of business as needed.
10. I Dreamed That My Car Got Stolen
If you dreamed that your car was stolen, this is a sign of betrayal and mistrust. It is possible that someone has betrayed you, whether that's someone close or possibly someone whom you don't know well. You may feel emotions such as guilt, withdrawal, or anger. You may also feel sadness because you trusted or relied on your betrayer. In a reversal, this dream could also indicate that you are to blame for something, representing that you did someone dirty.
11. I Dreamed That My Car Experienced a Disaster
- Flood: If you dreamed that your car was flooded, this could represent overwhelming emotions. Your emotions may be out of control, and you may feel like you're suffocating. These feelings may be brought on by a certain person or situation.
- Fire: If you dreamed about your car being on fire, this could symbolize anger, judgement, and resentment. Since fire can also represent rebirth, it is possible that this dream represents the need for change in your life.
12. I Dreamed I Was in a Car Accident
If you dreamed that you were in a car accident, this often reflects conflict. This type of dream can also point to hardship and trying times in your life. It is possible that your dream is symbolizing that you are on the wrong path or you have veered off course. Get back on the right path so you can move ahead.
13. I Dreamed About Road Signs
Pay close attention to all of the signs that you see in your dream. It is possible that these signs may reflect something in your life. Consider the signs that you've seen and think about how you might apply them to your life.
Other Important Additional Symbols in Your Dream
When you're trying to interpret your dream, you should try your best to remember as much as you can. What else did you see in your dream? Other symbols in your dreams can also have meaning. It is possible that your dream wasn't really about the car at all; instead, it may have been about something else in your dream. This can be true with any dream symbol.
More About Dream Meanings
- The Meanings Behind Dreams About Floating
Have you recently had a dream in which you were floating? If so, it could signify multiple things in your waking life. Learn about possible interpretations for a variety of floating dreams!
- What Does It Mean When I Dream About Kissing?
Kissing is part of everyday life, but it is also a powerful gesture of love, friendship, and desire. If you dream about kissing someone, especially on the lips, consider who you kissed and where.
- Dreams of Heaven: Meanings and Interpretations
Did you recently have a dream about visiting Heaven? Have your deceased loved ones been showing up in your dreams? Read on and learn how to decipher what these dreams could mean for your waking life.
Brandon Grozelle on July 27, 2017:
Hey there, I have some pretty odd dreams and I'm wondering if I could have help determining what one of them means. Its not the first time I've had a dream like this but what does it mean when you are lying down on your back holding onto the roof of a speeding car going down a highway. The highway is slightly busy, enough spaces in the lanes to be speeding down it on a three lane highway. I was with my girlfriend's family and for some reason I was on the roof, watching the world fly by
Mandydandypants on February 08, 2017:
I had a nightmare last night and tonight. I just woke up from a dream that I was drinking a beer on an outdoor patio with two old friends. Both male...not completely relevant people in my life but as I sat on the patio, a few old friends walked by. I hugged them goodbye and stood up to leave. I walked a few steps and realized I had forgot my car keys so I turned to go back. When I went back the patio was full with what seemed like a family party for my best friend (my actual relevant best girl friend). I grab my keys and I left but then it was dark..(though just daylight) i started looking for my car and when people were walking by I was ducking behind things because I was scared. I was in New York (i dont live there) and I was thinking about visiting a guy friend who I hadnt see in years. There was a few minutes until I needed to be home. I changed my mind and ran to my car and locked all of the doors. My dream then flashed to my husband driving us in the dark, that same night I assume, but he was going too fast. I kept asking him to slow down and if he was drunk? why are you driving so crazy? Things were zipping around us and light was flashing in my eyes and I couldn't see out of the windshield but I realized that the hood was popping up, was loose. I knew in my dream I must have popped it when I was trying to unlock my car earlier in fear. (In my dream I thought I unlocked it with my key fab button) My husband was pretending to be drunk, and laughing at my concern, but didnt slow down. I started yelling that the hood was loose and before he could notice, it flew up and plastered over the windshield and we couldn't see .... I quickly peeked out of my passenger window and saw orange arrows on a gaurdrail warning us of a bind in the road...
it was too late. I saw water on the other side of the rail, and I begin rolling my window down. It only opened about 4 inches before the car smashed through the railing and into the water. It started to fill up. I watched my husband trying to save me from a Birdseye view. I was fighting and not giving up and kept taking breaths through the cracks. The car was sinking more and he was pulling at my window and screaming and I was pushing at it and taking breaths through the cracks. I woke up before I learned if I survived or not.
what does this mean?
I also need to add that I had an old friend, sort of an ex, reach out to me recently. He lives in New York.
He's who I was considering visiting in my dream. I dont habe feelings or attractions for him and I did tell my husband he and I talked briefly. I do miss being young and surrounded by friends and seeing new cities though. I decided to talk about that part of the dream bc it seemed important. I was going to only talk about the car crash because last night I dreamed that my husband crashed a helicopter. I wasn't in it but I was screaming and running to the crash site and woke up before I knew If he lived .
it's also not uncommon for me to ask him to slow down. His driving makes me nervous so that part felt normal to regular life. I always worry about losing him and being alone because he's my best friend.
please help, I haven't slept well in a week.
Aurelio Locsin from Orange County, CA on June 14, 2013:
I don't know that I've ever had a car dream -- my choice of transport in my dreams is usually flying. But if I do have a car dream this is the hub to consult. Voting this Up and Useful.
Ruby Jean Richert from Southern Illinois on May 31, 2013:
HaHa Frank is funny..Interesting topic, I guess there is a reason for all dreams. Thank you..
Frank Atanacio from Shelton on May 31, 2013:
another wonderful interpretation of dreams.. car dreams..hmm I don't think I have ever dreamt of cars.. fast women yes.. fast cars i don't remember
deergha from ...... a place beyond now and beyond here !!! on May 30, 2013:
Hi thelyricwriter..........Good morning,
Its almost a dream come true in fact to see this hub this morning. As I have dreamt about a car dream last night and it pretty well been depicted here in the hub. I am very happy to know the implications which are quite true in my waking life.. Thank you for sharing this wonderful hub. Sharing across the board and votes all up way.
take care and many blessing your way