Sylvia Sky, M.A., is an experienced writer-astrologer and author of "Sun Sign Confidential: The Dark Side of all 12 Zodiac Signs."
Another Epic American Total Solar Eclipse
On August 21, 2017, millions traveled to view the 100 percent alignment of the Moon and Sun when the "The Great American Eclipse" cut its shadow path from Oregon to South Carolina. The U.S. was the only place to see it. On April 8, 2024, another epic total solar eclipse will cover slightly different American ground.
The 2024 eclipse starts over the Pacific and makes landfall at midday on Monday, April 8th, near Mazatlan, Mexico. Its totality tracks through Texas and major cities in 12 eastern states and Canada. Astronomers, astrologers, and scientists have therefore nicknamed it “The Great North American Eclipse,” and the cities in its path are already preparing.
The Legacy of the 2017 Eclipse: Drama and Red-Carpet Culture
Astrology says eclipses bring changes in leadership, and the Sun's zodiac sign on a solar-eclipse day suggests the nature of the change. In 2017, the Moon blotted out the Sun at 28 degrees of Leo—the sign representing power, pride, and ego.
Washington, D.C. in 2017 saw only an 82 percent eclipse, yet because it is the capital of the only country that saw that eclipse, many astrologers focused their 2017 “Great American Eclipse” interpretations on Washington D.C. and politics. National developments since 2017 have certainly been "classic Sun in Leo / Moon in Leo” featuring showmanship, attention-getting, and the pursuit of personal influence, wealth, and beauty.
The 2024 eclipse occurs at 19 degrees of Aries, which is the sign of innovations. Ottawa, Canada, will see the eclipse at 98.5 percent of maximum; Washington, D.C., at 87 percent, and Mexico City, 75 percent. The eclipse might bring a new day for the North American capitals. There is already speculation that governments soon won't need capital cities because they can operate virtually.
In 2017, the longest eclipse moment occurred near Carbondale in southern Illinois, a college town where watchers packed a stadium. Remarkably, the 2024 eclipse path intersects 2017's path exactly there. The Washington Post has named Carbondale "the eclipse capital of America."
The "Sky Map" of the 2024 Eclipse
Below I have set up the horoscope chart for the April 8, 2024 eclipse at the time and site of maximum totality: 1:20 p.m. Central Daylight Time in Nazas, Mexico. Totality there will last four minutes and 28 seconds. The eclipse has a remarkable horoscope and most anyone can see that; and I will provide here a basic reading.
A horoscope chart is an actual sky map. In real life, just as in the chart, nine of the 10 planets on April 8, 2024 will cluster high in the sky around the eclipse point. That day's full Aries Moon is also a supermoon, closer to Earth and larger than usual. Surely the vibrations and symbolism of this rare cosmic event, involving the two bodies that illuminate and govern the Earth, will have earthly effects.
The Meaning of a Rare and Exclusive Planetary Gathering
Because Nazas, Mexico, and Washington, D.C., are in different time zones, Washington will see its maximum eclipse not at 1:20 p.m. but at 2:20 p.m, so the Washington horoscope chart is slightly different. In both charts what's most important is that the Sun-Moon conjunction that creates the eclipse occurs in Aries.
Also that day, at that time, nine planets out of 10, plus the centaur Chiron (not shown) and the Moon’s north node, are packed into only three zodiac signs out of the 12: Pisces, Aries, and Taurus, clustered around the eclipse point. This tight arrangement signifies focus and is very rare. An astrologer would say that Canada, the U.S. and Mexico will in 2024 and afterward be paying close attention to one issue.
The lone planet not joining that party is Pluto, the solar system’s most insistent agent of reform. Pluto will be in the very first degree of the sign Aquarius, sign of humanity and mass culture. Pluto's position is particularly supportive and favorable to that day’s most elevated planet, Venus in Aries.
All planetary energies will be direct and strong except for Mercury's. Only the planet Mercury will be retrograde. Expect a technical or media-related malfunction, or a "done deal" that will have to be redone.
The Crown Jewels of This Eclipse: Sun, Moon, and Venus
The symbolic science of astrology tells us these things about the 2024 eclipse's horoscope:
- The Sun and Moon will be aligned in Aries, first sign of the zodiac. Astrologers call Aries the sign of new beginnings. The Moon perfectly masks the Sun for about four minutes. This symbolizes that the masses will be temporarily more important than their leadership.
- The solar eclipse will occur high in the sky. Yet even higher in the sky will be the solar system's third-brightest object, Venus, governing love, friendship and other affinities, and whatever we most value. (The symbol representing Venus is shown in green at the top of the chart wheel. It's at four degrees of Aries.) What will that mean?
- The planet Venus in Aries is like a human born with Venus in Aries, a romantic swashbuckler who falls in love on sight and puts their partner on a pedestal. They’ll idolize their loves and boldly try to rescue friends from danger. Expect from this eclipse a train of dazzling events that will sweep people off their feet, and dramatic speeches, scenes, and rescues.
- Pluto slowly undoes what's unworkable and replaces it with new. Humanity has endured this unlovely process during the transit, since 2008, of Pluto through the status-quo sign Capricorn. A classic astrological reference book says a Venus-Pluto link such as 2024's encourages “understanding how to raise relationships to a higher level.” Diplomacy and compromise might become highly valued skills. The Astrologer’s Handbook (Sakoian and Acker, 1989) continues, “When Mercury, Saturn, and Uranus are strong, this aspect can contribute to scientific ability.” In the 2024 eclipse chart, those planets are indeed strong—Saturn particularly so, because it's teamed with Mars.
- I won't lie: Modern astrologers, like ancient astrologers, call Saturn-Mars conjunctions malevolent. My experience is that this conjunction in a chart indicates frustration. The 2024 Saturn-Mars matchup is in Pisces, where Mars is weak, so I predict public frustration from shortages. The advantage of astrology is its advance notice, enabling us to prepare and avoid any shortages. The solution might be North American unity or cooperation—a refreshing change from divisive politics.
Preparing for Pluto to Enter Aquarius in 2024
Maybe a scientific or technological discovery around eclipse time or soon after will allow humanity to be transformed by love or compassion, or our values to change because they must. Why might an astrologer say that?
- The planet Pluto's position reflects shifting global conditions. In January 2020, Pluto made a rare (every 37 years) conjunction with Saturn, and upended life on Earth with a pandemic. Now the climate is changing in ways we cannot ignore. Pluto is not “evil.” It forces humanity to evolve because old ways are unsustainable. The 2024 eclipse in Aries says "begin again."
- In 2024, Pluto will be in Aquarius, sign of the masses, knowledge, and freedom. Any beneficial development will be because the public wants it, or for the public’s benefit. Might the North American nations unite to solve problems? Or—because of other planets in the eclipse’s horoscope and because the vibes of Aries can be rather "in your face"—if we do not prepare, change might present itself as “Hey, folks, here’s your new reality.”
According to the eclipse's horoscope, North America, and Mexico in particular, might have a new day-to-day reality in 2024.
A Tribal or Nomadic New Society?
Astrologers think that previous total-eclipse points continue to “resonate” with meaning for years after their eclipse has passed. The 2017 eclipse point at 28 degrees of Leo is in the 2024 chart’s sector of money and valuables. Maybe Mexico, the U.S., and Canada will become a North American Union, just as Europe became the EU, establishing one currency and favorable trade rules.
Of course change won’t be easy nor will it happen unopposed. With the 2024 Mars-Saturn alliance expect some people to fight to keep resources in the hands of a few. Under Pluto in Aquarius, the public will not idealize or attempt to restore the past, but will crave fresh ideas and organize to make them real.
Another planetary conjunction on eclipse day in 2024 (between Jupiter and Uranus in the home-and-family sign Taurus) suggests that North Americans might evolve toward tribal or nomadic units. Rather than single-family units or neighborhoods, people will build communities (based on their affinities) to ride out the transition from the old ways to the new.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2021 Sylvia Sky