Capricorn Characteristics: Are You a Typical Goat?
Capricorn: December 22 to January 19
I am a Capricorn and naturally I want to celebrate all the great attributes of Cappies, and perhaps point out some of our (very few) negative traits. I was born on December 28th, and so was my little sister, 11 years after me. It's a horrible day for a birthday as everyone is exhausted after a hectic Christmas. Most are either back at work, or having a lazy vacation in order to be ready to celebrate the New Year. We are the 'inbetweenies'.
Read on to see if I have captured your Capricorn personality and take part in the poll. I’d love to hear your opinion, so please leave a comment.
Capricorns Are Solid and Dependable
Like a rock...
- We appear over-serious and pretty boring at times. Yet, don't let that fool you into thinking that is our true nature. It isn't. It is true we are reliable and loyal, calm and strong-willed, but we also have a streak of fun-loving, creative loveliness going on.
- We are great workers, always taking a project to its conclusion. Our standards are high and discipline in the workplace is a must. We also like to have a little respect from employers and co-workers for our efforts. That doesn't rule out the occasional need to kick over the traces and have a lark, as we say here in sunny Wales.
- We are very profound thinkers. We thoroughly explore all options before deciding on the safest alternative.
- Cappies have good memories and an insatiable desire for knowledge. We are rational, logical, and clear-headed and delight in debate.
- Capricorns do try to impose their standards on others, and this can set them apart and cause friction. This is one of Capricorn's life lessons. We must learn to live and let live.
- Capricorn has a deep interest in the spiritual world. We have a well-developed intuition, which seems to be at odds with our practical nature. It stems from our strong connection to the earth. We know the earth is the source of our power.
- Capricorns don't let life get them down, even though some of us can do a pretty good impression of Eeyore sometimes. We simply buckle down and get on with the job, whether we be high-ranking executives or office cleaners.
- When faced with adversity, we plan how to deal with it and then deal with it. We do have a tendency towards an immediate negative response - maybe a moan or we say no to something before considering it properly. Once we have worked through a mental list of obstacles, everything is fine and we can get on with whatever challenge we are faced with.
- We are usually (but not always) organized, so we can tackle more than one project at a time.
- We love being wealthy, not because we are greedy, but because we crave security.
- Failure is extremely upsetting to a Capricorn. We feel as though we have let ourselves and others down. We can slip into melancholy and even depression, though generally, our practical perspective helps to bring us back to normal quite quickly.
- Capricorns may exact revenge on those who distress them. Sometimes, they will just stop talking to you. Most of the time, they aren't brooding on what you have done to them, or acting all passive-aggressive; they're simply choosing to focus their attention elsewhere. They won't let a negative situation impact their lives for any length of time.
- Capricorns like to be right. The trouble is - they usually are. It's best not to argue with them - the worst (or best, depending on your point of view) thing you can say to a Capricorn is, "I'm sure you're right..." and then change the subject. The Capricorn will be left seething, having been denied the opportunity to prove their argument in depth.
- Capricorns can be grumpy in the mornings. If they aren't grumpy, then they can be bright and breezy, to the annoyance of every one around them.
- All right, I'm going to admit it. Capricorns are sometimes, just sometimes, a little bit critical. Look, if you're going to do something, then do it properly. Then we won't tell you off. Promise.
The Tarot Queen of Pentacles Represents the Motherly Capricorn
Mothering Yet Not Smothering
The Queen of Pentacles is a practical woman. She will offer a shoulder to cry on for about five seconds, but then she expects you to pull yourself together and listen to her bossy suggestions of how you might solve your dilemma. If you want empathy, this Queen is not your woman. She likes to help, but she does expect to see people making an effort to help themselves.
Family is all important to the Queen of Pentacles, yet she also values her own time. She protects her babies like a she-wolf, but as they grow she will encourage her kids to be independent and self-reliant.
This is the woman you want next to you in a crisis. She's the one who will put the kettle on and mop up the blood. The Queen of Pentacles is a tough businesswoman unless she is called to more homely activities.
"God helps those who help themselves"— typical Capricorn motto
Careers and Work
All the Capricorn personality types have an affinity with work. They need it. Capricorns cannot bear doing nothing at all, and if they can learn something or earn something so much the better. They don't see the point in doing anything without some reward, though it doesn't have to be monetary. They are happy in the achievement of a job well done. If their job inspires them and makes them want to get up in the mornings, then they are even happier.
Capricorns have a wide range of options when it comes to careers. A lot of them choose careers that have to do with money. They make great economists, bankers, contractors, managers, and real estate brokers. They excel at projects that are long-term and demanding. Their love of debate and dialect makes them great politicians.
They are good teachers and prefer jobs where they have authority. Whether working with their hands, their brains, or both, they make great scientists, engineers, farmers, and builders.
We are artistic and creative, though many would disagree. We make good writers, though we have a thing about grammar and spelling, sometimes to the detriment of expressiveness.
Note to self: Better check this article very, very carefully!
Your Capricorn Employee
One thing Capricorns don't need is the approval of others. However, they are gracious in their acceptance of praise and it serves to increase their confidence and, therefore, their ability and efficiency. So, if you want a good job done even better make sure you acknowledge your Capricorn's effort, input and expertise.
We don't take criticism well, and it is something we need to address. Make your criticisms suggestions and they will be accepted. Make your Capricorn feel stupid and you risk losing a great worker. Capricorns hate humiliation.
Capricorns are loyal. If they like and trust you, they will walk to the ends of the earth for you. They might moan and grump about it, but do it they will.
We like to advance. Preferably steadily. We can't handle sudden rises to the top, but enjoy steady progression. We must master each level or skill before moving to the next.
Ridicule a Capricorn at your peril
If You Can't Love Me At My Worst...
You sure as sausages don't deserve me at my best
Capricorns can have problems in personal relationships. They have a very strong sense of fairness, which they apply equally to the other person (partner, child, parent, friend, co-worker) and to themselves. They see a relationship as a 50:50 thing and expect the other person to play the game. They can put up with imbalance in the relationship for a little while, but if it feels as though they are being taken advantage of, they will become unhappy.
We are wary of people we don't know very well and take a little time to lower our guard. We tend to have a few good friends, rather than a coterie of acquaintances. It's the security thing kicking in - we like to be with people we can trust. We also like them to know that we are trustworthy beyond doubt. Tell us a secret and we'll keep it.
Capricorns attract people who don't really understand how we operate. They sometimes think we are little cold and unfeeling. This is not necessarily the case; we are simply not demonstrative in a public way.
Don't engage a Capricorn in a battle of wills. There's no point. The goat will present his (or her) horns, dig in their hooves and you won't stand a chance of winning. This means that Capricorns are less likely to put up with bullying from others. However, if a Capricorn goes rogue, he or she can indulge in domineering, and yes, bullying behavior.
Once Cappies feel safe in a relationship, they will unleash their witty alter-ego. They love to be entertained by their partner or friend, so someone who gets their sense of humor, and who can give as good as they get, is treasured.
Capricorns and Health
When it comes to their health, Capricorns are generally very robust. They don't like to talk about anything that is really bothering them and will often hide health concerns from family, but will moan and groan about minor aches and pains.
Capricorns have a tendency to have knee issues later in life. Bones and skin are also areas which might cause health problems. They are subject to strains, fractures, and other leg problems. They tend to hold in worry and suppress emotions which can lead to digestive problems. They often suffer from are anemia, deafness, rheumatism, and rickets.
Northern hemisphere Capricorns should take a good all-round vitamin supplement and get their lazy backsides out into the sunshine as much as they can to encourage the production of Vitamin D.
I can certainly attest to the knee thing. Ouch!
A Few More Cappie Things...
- Capricorns often prefer rich earthy colors.
- Capricorn birthstones include black onyx, garnet and turquoise.
- Sissy Spacek, Rudyard Kipling, J. Edgar Hoover, Mel Gibson, Dolly Parton, and Martin Luther King - all Capricorns.
Do you believe that people born under the star sign, Capricorn, share similar personality traits?
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Bev G