Jean teaches astrology, tarot & metaphysics. She is an author, ordained nondenominational minister, & member of the NJ Metaphysical Ctr.
The Moon Travels Quickly Through All Zodiac Signs
The Moon quickly moves around our Earth in just 28 days—the time it takes to spend around two and a half days in each zodiac sign—always beginning the cycle in Aries, and finishing it in Pisces. Regardless of what sign the Moon was in at your time of birth, its position in each of the different signs every month of the year make certain days better for some activities than others.
So why not turn that into an advantage for ourselves? Some calendars tell you the time and date that the Moon moves into each zodiac sign each month, such as the ones from Llewellyn, which are made for Astrologers and people who have other Metaphysical interests. This is not an endorsement for Llewellyn—they are just the most well-known, and the Moon sign book I use for myself.
You can find what Astrology sign the Moon is in with an almanac too. There are also many Astrology sites, but they are not all accurate. Cafe Astrology and Astrothemes are two which I think are better, though still not perfect.
Moon in Aries
Time to do something new.
- Begin a new hobby
- Try a different look by changing your hairstyle, makeup or clothes
- Send out a revised job resume
- Be competitive
- Begin a new diet
- Do something spontaneous
- Make a surprise visit to someone you have not seen in a long time
- Find a new solution to a problem that has been bugging you
- Look at life from a new perspective
- Reach out to a new friend
- Rearrange the furniture in a room to see if it looks better
- Be open to new ideas
Moon in Taurus
Do something sensible.
- Start some seedlings so they become strong by planting time
- Balance your checkbook
- Pay your bills
- Work in your garden
- Cut out recipes for gourmet foods you would like to try to cook
- Go on a long hike in the woods
- Join a group of environmental activists
- Participate in an outdoor sport or activity that is good in your climate
- Go out for dinner with your friends from work
- Go to a concert to enjoy some music
- Work on a puzzle or model
- Relax with a good bottle of wine
Moon in Gemini
Get out of the rut.
- Organize a social event for a group of friends
- Go to a movie or read a new book
- Start a course to explore a new interest
- Go shopping
- Catch up on all your e-mail correspondence
- Think about those two issues on your mind so you can come to a decision soon
- Buy or research new communications equipment
- Begin working on that book you always wanted to write for years
- Do not work on anything that requires focus—your mind is on too many things
- Have that long talk with someone that is needed to clear the air
- Think of ways to try to relax once in a while
- Try to cure your nervous tummy
Moon in Cancer
Do something meaningful to you.
- Plan a romantic evening with that someone special
- Plan to redecorate a room in your house
- Update your resume
- Call an old friend you have been neglecting
- Take an evening to just do something by yourself, even if you just go browse around in stores
- Curl up with a good book and relax
- Plan a future vacation
- Help a family member with what they are doing
- Get a new pet
- Organize a food drive for your community
- Catch up with all the latest happenings in your circle of friends
- Spend some time outdoors near the water
- Give yourself a nice pampering or beauty treatment
- Get started on that family you want to have!
Moon in Leo
Show off your generous spirit.
- Treat someone to lunch
- Splurge on something expensive you want but felt like you did not deserve to spend the cash
- Visit a gallery or go to a show
- Throw a fancy or theme party at your house
- Try an activity that inspires you
- Wear a dressy outfit or a classy piece of jewelry
- Get the attention you crave from that certain party
- Let people know you are the one in charge
- Donate to the less fortunate
- Change your look or a room in your home into something that looks more sophisticated
- Experiment with a new style or makeup
- Go to the tricky tray or event holding a raffle—you know you always win
- Do something to support your community
Moon in Virgo
Baby yourself today.
- Buy vitamins and healthy foods
- Exercise at the health club where you have your membership, or at home
- Read one more book that has been waiting on your stack
- Organize a closet or anyplace that looks untidy
- Visit a museum
- Make plans for a meditation garden in your yard or in the house
- Drop off the clothes that need dry cleaning
- Visit a sick friend that needs cheering up
- Stop worrying you caught whatever the sick friend has
- Go see a movie, let your witty side take over from your serious side for a few hours
- Catch up on correspondence
- Invite a bunch of friends and family over to catch up
- Teach somebody a few facts about one of the many subjects you excel in
Moon in Libra
Get your balance back.
- Rest if you have worked hard lately
- Or get back to work if you have not been in a routine
- Take a long walk and enjoy the air
- Don't be so touchy about what people say, everybody isn't trying to hurt your feelings
- Buy yourself something pretty or special you want
- Try to mentally focus on one thing at a time
- Plan an outing with friends
- Play the peacemaker
- Turn on your charm to make others gravitate towards you
- Get your own way in an issue you care about
- Smile a lot to show off that dimple (unless it's someplace private, then you are on your own)
- Get attention from others
- Try not to be so restless
Moon in Scorpio
Focus, focus, focus—emotions are running high.
- Have that meaningful talk you have been putting off for another time
- Paint a room or do something else creative in your house or yard
- Demolition works well for you, as does repurposing something old to give it a new look or use
- Get your point across to others
- Concentrate on the serious things in your life
- Attend a church service
- Do or read something that moves you in a spiritual way
- Take charge of a situation someone else is handling badly
- Listen to music or play your favorite instrument to relax and enjoy it
- Plan a special event for someone you really care about
- Try not to be so critical of yourself and others
- Talk to somebody about your worries instead of holding them in
- Listen to your psychic sense or pay attention to your dreams
- Get a tarot reading or update the transits on your horoscope
Moon in Sagittarius
- Do something spontaneous with whoever is around
- Spend time outdoors
- Get some exercise by doing something physical that you enjoy
- Read a book about a country or religion you do not know much about
- Be extra careful not to fall or have an accident
- Listen to a friend's troubles and make positive suggestions to help resolve them
- Decide to learn a new language
- Tutor someone in a subject you know well
- Have an upbeat and cheerful day
- Go horseback riding or fishing
- Exercise your sense of fairness in a dispute between two people you know
- Tell someone the truth they must hear, even though you know it may hurt them—it is better in the long run
- Be true to your own self, no matter what other people say
Moon in Capricorn
Time to get motivated.
- Balance your checkbook or open a bank account
- Ask the boss for a raise
- Commit yourself to a cause
- Ponder your long term goals
- Visit the elderly people in your family
- Act responsibly
- Be sensible
- Enjoy some time with your family
- Install a new security system in your home
- Reassure yourself that you are very important to those you love
- Take the lead in solving the problem
- Help someone less mature than yourself
- Be the reliable one
- Volunteer for the difficult problem at work so they see how you stand out from the rest
- Try not to stay so late at work
- Act on that new opportunity you have been thinking about
Moon in Aquarius
- Shock everyone with your latest unique hairdo or outfit
- Make a sudden change
- Give a stranger money for lunch
- Get a tarot or chakra reading
- Plan an outing with your other "free spirited" friends
- Do not be swayed from your opinion
- Think about starting your own business or a job where you do not have to answer to so many people
- State your bold ideas
- Do not care what others think about you
- Perform an act of charity or get involved in a philanthropic cause
- Buy that funky toy you have been wanting
- Fix something that is broken
Moon in Pisces
- Write a poem or song on whatever instrument you play
- Buy those new shoes you are dying to have
- Act sensitively to those around you
- Volunteer for the needy
- Take a long walk alone to clear your head
- Advise a friend about a philosophical matter
- Do something to make your immediate surroundings calmer and more relaxing
- Stop worrying so much
- Stand up for yourself
- Do not let others take advantage of your kindness
- Do something that makes you feel nostalgic
- Spend some time near the water
- Try not to take on other people's problem issues or negative energies
- Get some rest
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
Question: When is the best time/moon sign to learn a new skill such as knitting socks?
Answer: A good time to learn a new skill can be Aries, or Cancer. If the skill is knitting, patience is required, so Taurus or Capricorn could be useful at the time as well.
Question: My astrological sign is Leo. What day in October 2018 is best for surgery?
Answer: It's best to avoid surgery during a Full Moon or in the few days before and after. The Moon was full in Aquarius when you were born if you are Leo, so don't do it during an Aquarius Moon. Leo rules the heart and upper back, so if the surgery is in either of those areas, don't do it when the Moon is in Leo.
Each part of the body is ruled by an astrological sign. So it's best to not have surgery when the Moon is in the zodiac sign which rules the body area where you need the surgery. You can Google a chart to see which signs rule which body parts.
Question: I'm moving to a new city. What moon sign is best?
Answer: It depends on what you are looking for or what motivated you to move. I would say Aries (good for a new place), Cancer (home is important to them), and Capricorn if you are thinking of job opportunities. Gemini, Libra or Aquarius if you are bored and need a change. The fixed signs - Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius - don't like change, but Aquarius is curious and can overcome that stability thing. Virgo and Pisces also have low boredom thresholds if you just need a change.
Question: In regard to astrology, is there a good moon for asking for forgiveness?
Answer: Any moon.
Question: I need heart valve replacement surgery. I'm looking at two dates, Nov. 6 and Nov. 21st. I am a Virgo, Moon in Pisces. I've been told surgery is always best during the waning moon, but I've also been told when adding something like a new valve, the waxing moon is best. So much to consider and so much conflicting information. Which date do you think looks best and why? I see positives and negatives to both. Thank you for any advice/insight!
Answer: I am not entirely comfortable giving medical advice, so listen to your doctor. It's not good to have surgery during the Full Moon because it causes people to bleed more. On Nov. 6th, the Moon is in Pisces, and the 21st in Virgo. So did you choose these dates based on your Sun and Moon positions? If so, I would go with the 21st, when the Moon is conjunct your Sun, not the 6th, when the Moon is conjunct your Moon. There is more drama and emotion when the Moon is conjunct our Moons.
Question: Which day in October is good for an interview to get a job? I was born with a Moon in Sagittarius.
Answer: Friday, October 26th would be a good time to express yourself at an interview, the Moon is in Gemini. If you could do a weekend interview, Saturday would still be good, as would early Sunday. October 31st has Mercury going into Sagittarius, and Venus in Libra, both aspects which would help you, although it's not the Moon position.
Question: When is the best astrological time of the month or year to purchase new clothes? I a Capricorn, with Aquarius rising and my Moon is in Leo.
Answer: You would have to follow a calendar that had the daily positions of the moon on it, or buy an almanac or Llewellyn's Moon Sign Book. Aries Moon is a good time to buy new things. Since your Moon is in Leo, and Leo Moons care about keeping a good appearance, shop in a Leo moon, and you will find items you like (but try not to spend too much)! The Libra Moon is a time when we like to look our best, so that would work well. We have energy when the Moon is in our Sun sign, so you may want to go on a shopping spree when the Moon is in Capricorn.
Question: Is a moon in Pisces a good omen for starting an intuitive business?
Answer: Yes, a Moon in Pisces means you would do well always to follow your intuition, it will never fail you. Don't second guess yourself, always go with your first instinct.
Pisces Moon people are great at reading other people, and intuitively know what they think and what they want. So depending on the business you want to start, these qualities will help you no matter what it is. Business is a lot about reading your customers and understanding what they want. Plus you have a good way with people, always a plus in any business relationship. You don't have a big ego either, so will get along well with the staff you choose to work with as well. You know who you can trust and who you can't just by a short meeting.
Question: What sign will the moon on August 15th, 2018 be, and how will it affect a Scorpio?
Answer: The Moon will be in Libra that day, although I am unsure where in the world you are writing from (time differences). It's early in Libra though, so this should be correct. Without a chart, I don't know how this will affect you. I suspect being Scorpio, you have at least one planet or more in Libra.
Libra is the sign next to your Sun sign, so it's semi-good. This is an air sign so that you will do well in partnership endeavors and with ideas or communications. You will have trouble making up your mind. Libra is a cardinal sign of leadership, so it's good for decision making, and since Scorpios are emotional water signs, maybe you will be able to be more objective in a Libra Moon. This Moon is also good for romance.
Question: According to Astrology and moon signs, when would be the best day to open an investment account?
Answer: The best day to open an investment account would be when the Moon is in an Earth Sign, Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn, Virgo being the lesser one I would choose. You need to look up a Moon Ephemeris, and can see what sign the Moon is in at any time. It stays in one sign for about two and a half days. Also, a month when the Sun is in an Earth sign would also be good, Sun and Moon being the best. That should help guide you. Good luck!
© 2011 Jean Bakula
Jean Bakula (author) from New Jersey on July 22, 2018:
That's great! Llewellyn makes a yearly moon sign book and an astrology calendar which gives you the days and times the Moon moves into and out of each astrology sign. Being a Cancer Sun myself, I haven't lived without one for years. It helps to know which days are best for what activities. I'm happy you are doing yoga and meditation, both are healthy for Mind, Body and Spirit.
Anna on July 22, 2018:
I try to find information which days are the best to do a workout or which days preferably to rest and to yoga or meditation
Jean Bakula (author) from New Jersey on July 05, 2014:
This is about Moonsigns, and I believe you are thinking of Sun signs. Since you are a Sun Sign Pisces, a water sign, you would do well with a person with an Earth Sign Sun, like Taurus, Virgo or Capricorn. Water signs would also be good, Cancer, Scorpio. I don't see many couples of the same sun sign, so wouldn't really recommend a Pisces. And every planet is in a sign too, and in one of 12 houses. Also, it matters how far all of the planets are apart from each other and what aspects they make to each other. So it's much more complicated. If you have two or three planets in Aries, since it's close to Pisces, that's Fire, and then you would be attracted to Fire and Air signs. Best Wishes. If you visit my blog I write more about Sun signs and Venus signs, and give links. You can go on CafeAstrology or Librarising and look on the tables there to see what signs your other planets are in. Best Wishes.
Agyemang donkor on July 05, 2014:
I was born on 4th March 1986, Ghana, pai-katanga, Volta region of Ghana. I want to know the kind of lady to be lucky for my marriage
Jean Bakula (author) from New Jersey on February 03, 2012:
Thank you for reading and visiting!
theastrology from New Delhi on February 02, 2012:
HI jean, I was searching some astrology article to enhancing my Astrology knowledge and finally I got it, such another great article by you.
Jean Bakula (author) from New Jersey on September 14, 2011:
Thanks so much for visiting, Sylvia, it's reassuring to have another Astrologer to help share HP together! I sometimes worry if people understand, judging from some of the mail I get. They say stuff like, "My BF acts just like that." But it won't be a hub about ascendants, it will be one about Moonsigns, and the person shouldn't seem the way they are unless it's with someone they know very well! I think I am going to write a hub something like, "Putting all the pieces together" to give a clearer picture than all these separate hubs do. It's funny, because for the last years the Tarot has been my main focus, and here on HP this crowd loves Astrology. It's fun and I'm happy I remember this much! I've been getting out the ephemeris and doing some transits too! I began a blog, the address is on my profile page, but that's all different Metaphysical subjects, depending on courses I'm taking. All this SEO and Google stuff is a pain. I tried going on Reddit, but it's complicated to put a link on. A hubber, jedijessicah, has written a 3 hub series to explain it, but I don't know if it's worth the time. Best wishes and thanks for both your comments, keep in touch, and keep exposing those bogus Astrolgers that give us a bad name!
Sylvia Sky from USA on September 14, 2011:
I should refer people to your article when they're wondering how to enhance their lives!
Jean Bakula on April 23, 2011:
Thank you Nell! I have been enjoying your hubs!
Nell Rose from England on April 22, 2011:
Hi, this is fascinating, I have always been interested in these sort of things, I in fact read the Tarot like you! been doing it since I was sixteen, good luck with the book! cheers nell
Fay Paxton on March 18, 2011:
This is an excellent and well-written article. I've always been fascinated by the moon's influence on our everyday lives.